autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 6 inch orbitals

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 6 inch orbitals

I gotta say that I purchased a long throw because of my obsessive thinking and unrelenting curiosity. Really, it's in not that much better relative to the cost. I still use my GG6 and still like it. If another polisher is in your future, consider a forced rotation or a rotary. That way your bases are covered.

2. Likes eaglefan, dlc95 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I've owned every machine minus the mikita 5000, all the rupes and Griot's long throws, pc, flex, them all, now I have 2 gg6s that I daily and wouldn't look back. They do everything and anything. They make me money and they do it quickly and effectively. The lifetime warranty as been used a few times with no hassle. The only thing I'd ask for is this machine in a BOSS body for a bit more comfort but besides that when I had ally other machines I always went back to the GG6.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

4. Likes PaulMys, dlc95, UncleDavy, KBsToy, Dereksdtail liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dennis hiip View Post
    IMO, the Groits will do it all. I have both and unless you are tool geek, there really is not a big advantage with a long throw in the real world for a hobbyist. I know others will disagree.
    I actually agree 100%.

Last summer I was hot and heavy on the Rupes stuff I have, and still am! I love their system of tools pads, and liquids. I do not do the washer mod, and I get incredible results every time....

I love the Flex 3401 that I have. It has incredible torque and power. In a word, it is relentless..

Then there is my Porter Cable 7424. Not even the XP. The original little tool that started the orbital craze years ago. It is this tool the generates most of my revenue. Just yesterday I did two cleaner wax jobs with it, and total time invested was just over six hours. It created happy customers, and a fatter wallet. I got it use for something like $48.00 used. I got my 7424xp in 2011 brand new. I keep it in my duplicate rig at home.

Especially for the hobbyist or enthusiast the PC is the only type of tool I recommend. If they're using it two times a year, it doesn't make much fiscal sense to a lot of people to spend hundreds of dollars on such a tool, then the accessories necessary to accompany it.

So to the OP, if you are happy with the GG6, then keep on using it!

6. Likes UncleDavy, PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by UncleDavy View Post
    I am a hobbyist who does an occasional detail for family and friends on the side. I have a Porter Cable 7424XP and have been contemplating a second machine for some time. After some research and talking to Paulie last night I think I am sold on the Griots GG6. For a guy like me there is no need to spend $400+ on a premium long throw machine. I can reserve the Porter Cable to 3" pads and use the Griots with a 5" backing plate.
    Hobbyist? Yeah keep the PC.

Paul likes that GG6!

Me? I'll take the PC

8. Thanks UncleDavy thanked for this post
    Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dlc95 View Post
    Hobbyist? Yeah keep the PC.

Paul likes that GG6!

Me? I'll take the PC
    I told UD in our face to face to PM you on pad choices for his PC

I may have referred to you as "The Master Of All Pads"
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

10. Likes UncleDavy, dlc95 liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post

But, the Chinese aren't just a bunch of backward people with no skill. Remember, they are on the short list of countries that have built and perfected long-range nuclear armaments.

If you contract with China to assemble, oh......I don't know, the iPhone with all it's intricacies that billions rely on daily, China obliges.

Well said. You get what you pay for.

I've had an iPhone since they came out, it has always worked to my needs and expectations.

I don't have a long-range nuclear armament yet though... not ready to make that leap...

12. Likes UncleDavy, dlc95, SWETM, PaulMys, Cruzscarwash liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    I told UD in our face to face to PM you on pad choices for his PC

I may have referred to you as "The Master Of All Pads"
    You are too kind, sir!

I saw the notification, and will be answering right after this!

14. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

So ultimately what I am hearing is keep my Griots Garage 6 inch Random Orbital. The Boss 15 or the Rupes LHR15 Mark II is really not a big deal unless I really want one? and moving to the 5.5 inch back plate and pads would give me better results (not that I have issues with the 6 inch plate and pads).

So the next question is which machine will save me time on larger vehicles if I want to cut my time down per car/truck/suv? or there is no sub. for time?

Post Thanks / Like

The only speed to be gained in the cut comes from a rotary.

If you don't go rotary then just test spot until you find the best pad, Polish combo and you are gtg.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nakranij View Post
    So ultimately what I am hearing is keep my Griots Garage 6 inch Random Orbital. The Boss 15 or the Rupes LHR15 Mark II is really not a big deal unless I really want one? and moving to the 5.5 inch back plate and pads would give me better results (not that I have issues with the 6 inch plate and pads).

So the next question is which machine will save me time on larger vehicles if I want to cut my time down per car/truck/suv? or there is no sub. for time?
    The Rupes Duetto can save me time, as can the Flex 3401. I seem to be able to cover a larger section with those tools, than with the PC. However, the PC is so comfortable and familiar that it's difficult to put down.

18. Likes PaulMys liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12