autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: CarPro C-Quartz / Reload help needed

Thank you all for your advice. I have ordered some Essence Plus and a Gloss pad. There is always a learning curve with a new process. I like the results overall and will avoid making the same mistake next time...hopefully.

Todd

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Belo View Post
    Seems like one of these posts pops up at least every week. I have no doubt that done right, a coating is the way to go. But man it just seems like such a process and risk for a little bit longer protection.

I still think I'll stick to my annual polish and seal with the polymer spray on topper every month or so.
    Not sure. I use both coatings and sealants. For a garaged car in good weather I have no doubt a coating is beneficial. Expose to the elements and with a lot of rain, coatings lose their appeal for me. If I have to clay or polish my coating, what's the point of having a coating?

In my environment coatings have 1-2 advantages and many disadvantages. Sealants have many advantages and 1-2 disadvantages. A long lasting sealant + something else to make pop occasionally is a better option for me.

And I would agree the streaks are likely Reload. I've overapplied Cquartz and it generally looks like opaque areas, not streaks. The reload streaks will disappear relatively soon with washing or when you reapply it. I'd give it some time before taking a polisher to it.
    2006 LR3 White // 2014 Boxster Agate Gray // 2012 Sentra Aspen White
    Sealant test resultsxxxxxDilution ratio chartxxxxxWheel cleaner info

Post Thanks / Like

I have coated two cars, and won't be doing it again. I still use cquartz on a lot of other things like my motorcycle helmets, bike fairings, etc.… But for me it's just not necessary being garaged and in Florida, the car stays relatively clean, and a SIO2 spray works fine in keeping up the protection. The only time that I would do a coating in the future, is if I owned a black car , like this one.
    Glen -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MikeC78 View Post
    Belo, don't be scared to try a coating, I was the same way at first. A coating is the way to go if you like protection that lasts. Don't let some of these threads deter you from doing one. If you use proper lighting and inspect your work in small areas, you will have no problems. Its very easy to do.

IMO, the coating might subdue annual polishing for you, saving your clear coat even more. In my experience, a yearly decon/reset wash and my vehicle is as good as the day I coated it. Your experience may vary due to different driving conditions.

I've used Reload on my GM black before. You will cause streaking if you overuse and not use a separate dry towel to wipe. Its a very easy fix. Go over again with a bit more liberal of a process and use a separate towel to wipe. Otherwise, as others have said, you can wait and the streaking will disappear over time. (Has been the case in my experience) If the OP hasn't touched the paint since last inspection, I almost bet the streaking has disappeared. Reload has a learning curve if you don't follow their directions. A little goes a long way. Carpro products are very concentrated and thats not a bad thing! You could dilute the product (distilled water) and get even more bang for your buck.
    Quote Originally Posted by RippyD View Post
    Not sure. I use both coatings and sealants. For a garaged car in good weather I have no doubt a coating is beneficial. Expose to the elements and with a lot of rain, coatings lose their appeal for me. If I have to clay or polish my coating, what's the point of having a coating?

In my environment coatings have 1-2 advantages and many disadvantages. Sealants have many advantages and 1-2 disadvantages. A long lasting sealant + something else to make pop occasionally is a better option for me.

And I would agree the streaks are likely Reload. I've overapplied Cquartz and it generally looks like opaque areas, not streaks. The reload streaks will disappear relatively soon with washing or when you reapply it. I'd give it some time before taking a polisher to it.
    Yeah I believe in them, they're just not for me. And I'm not really scared, it just seems like the bang for the buck isn't there. I only maintain my own fleet and I enjoy the process. I suppose I might try one someday on the wife's explorer as I'm really looking for more protection, less maintenance on that one. I'm only using very light polishes so generally I'm ok with that annual detail.

Just rarely see "help my powerlock is ruined, how do i fix it" haha.
    2009 Pontiac G8GT
    2015 Ford Explorer Limited
    2019 Chevy Silverado RST Z71

5. Likes glen e liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My thoughts have sometimes been a concern about ever trying to do 2 coats. I wonder if there's a possibility that the carrier solvents in CQuartz with a second application might cause an upsetting-dissolving characteristic on the first coat?

There might be some validity to these thoughts of mine, that could be dependent upon time period allotted in between coats, and as well the variable of temperature-humidity conditions thrown into the mix?

Akin to like spray painting a little hobby project, you want to wait an ample amount of time in between coats of paint.

Post Thanks / Like

Question. How do I remove the CarPro Reload? I just coated my car earlier and I forgot that I did one coat. I was going to do 2 coat but then I got distracted and did one coat. By chance, can I use CarPro eraser to remove the Reload and re-coat the area with Cquartz? And if I do this step, will the eraser remove the 1st layer of Cquartz.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by reglus03 View Post
    Question. How do I remove the CarPro Reload? I just coated my car earlier and I forgot that I did one coat. I was going to do 2 coat but then I got distracted and did one coat. By chance, can I use CarPro eraser to remove the Reload and re-coat the area with Cquartz? And if I do this step, will the eraser remove the 1st layer of Cquartz.
    don't worry about a 2nd layer of cquartz. opinions will vary on the subject, but mine stands that you won't benefit much at all by applying a second layer. 1 good solid properly applied layer will be sufficient. top it reload as you've done to protect the initial application and enjoy going forward.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

You'll also want to keep an eye on the body lines of the car and curved areas. It's easy to miss high spots in those areas. There's nothing quite like daylight to show you all the mistakes you've made.

10. Likes RippyD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by reglus03 View Post
    One coat is good as long as you believe you got even coverage.

Here is what CarPro recommends to remove Reload to apply Gliss. I would imagine it would be similar to what you are trying to achieve to apply a second coat.

Q. My coating is a few months old and I want to apply Gliss but Reload has already been applied over the coating, can I still use Gliss?

A. No, as Reload will not allow the coating to bond to the paint but if you still want to apply Gliss than the process would be as follows:

Wash with CarPro Reset
    Decontaminate with Iron X if necessary
    Use CarPro Tar X (this will pull the oils out of Reload that will prevent Gliss from bonding. Use in shade, do not allow to dwell, and be careful around sensitive plastics)
    a. Spray and wipe in Tar X into panel with microfiber and immediately neutralize the Tar X by either rewashing the panel or using a waterless wash such as CarPro Ech2o (Make sure to neutralize Tar X before moving onto next panel)
    Give it one more good wash with CarPro Reset
    Wipe down with CarPro Eraser
    Gliss application *If applying over an old coating there is a possibility Gliss may haze up the next day and you can see the application marks. If this happens wiping down the vehicle with CarPro Ech2o or a damp microfiber will remove it.*
    If you choose to apply Reload over Gliss than you must wait a minimum of 12 hrs to allow Gliss to cure.

12. Likes dman68 liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12