autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

My poor car is covered in water spots. What to do?

So, this is a bit embarrassing.

I took a half day on Friday and decided to wash the car. It had been a couple of weeks since I got in a really good washing and I was anxious to try my new power washer and some other new stuff. Anyway, I started around 11:00 am which was my first mistake because it just kept getting hotter. And the hotter things got, the slower I went, so this project of mine dragged on for way too many hours. After a while, I wasn't thinking clearly. I was moving very slowly, slogging up and down the stairs over and over again to retrieve products or towels.

If you're wondering how the story ends, by around 4:30 pm I was being taken to the hospital, where they kept me overnight for observation. Heat exhaustion. As I was being taken to the hospital, my neighbor packed up all of my stuff and placed it inside my front door. I never finished the job.

I was released yesterday and as I was walking to my front door, I glanced at my GTI in horror. It is covered in water spots from top to bottom, every panel, every pane of glass. My son saw my reactions and said, "don't even think about it." Clearly, he knew what I was thinking. But as I am now restricted to bed rest, my son has graciously offered to take care of the water spots for me. Trouble is, the few things he tried last night didn't work. I believe he hit them with Poorboys Spray and Wipe, and another quick detailer of some sort, to no avail. Eventually, thunderstorms started rolling in, so he said he would try again today.

Any ideas on what the kid can do to help his old man? I've got some Citrol 266 in the house, but I was hoping to have him try something less aggressive first.

Friday might have been the last time I try washing my car for a very long time. At least until the heat breaks. I've been obsessing over this car for two months and it nearly did me in. I wish I would have taken it to someone on day one for a proper detailing, paint correction, and ceramic coating. It probably would have cost me less than what I've spent on gear and product, and I'd be happy with the results. Caring for my car was supposed to be a relaxing way for me to pass the time and get out of my head. It just hasn't worked out for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: My poor car is covered in water spots. What to do?

WOW! Glad you are ok! Heat will do some weird things no doubt. Yesterday they were calling for rain here in PA. Never happened. So around 1 PM I ventured outside to do my weekly Xterra wash, because it was overcast. Of course the sun came out. I was reminded why I never wash in the heat/sun. Too much of a PITA. I always wash early AM before the heat/sun. Got it done but it was a pain. Should have waited till this morning. On to your water spot issue. I would have your son try one of these and hopefully it will cure the issue.
    Search

Here is more info on removing them....
    How to Take Off Water Spots on Your Car | YourMechanic Advice

Hope your health recovers quickly. And in the future try to reserve washes to early AM or Dusk.
    2018 Colorado ZR2

3. Thanks mightypudge thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I had great results with Blackfire One Step recently on a car I planned on polishing anyway. But this stuff worked like magic when others weren't even touching it. Hope you are well.

5. Thanks mightypudge thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow is right as pro 4x said. No car is worth ending up in the hospital for. Glad you're ok. Anyway, I bought a bottle of 3D Eraser Gel to use on my buddy's Mustang (down here in Florida with the on/off rain and his car was purchased off the lot) quarter panel tops. It worked exactly as directed and fixed it perfectly.

7. Thanks mightypudge thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

To EVERYONE who reads this thread....DO NOT underestimate what excessive heat can do to you! Take precautions, go more slowly, drink water. If you feel 'goofy', sit down and relax. Heat exhaustion/stroke is nothing to fool with.

Disclaimer: As one who if an advanced age, who spend his childhood playing in the SoCal desert I thought I was immune to 'heat'. I now know firsthand from this summer (I too 'visited' the hospital) that being overheated is nothing to mess with.

As Sgt Esterhouse said, "Be careful out there!"

Bill
    In dog beers, I've only had one.

9. Thanks mightypudge thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Take it easy brother. It takes us a while to recover from health related issues at our age. This 55 year old has a problem with the heat too and it took a toll on me on Friday when I had an all day detailing session. There are things I started doing to help myself deal with heat. I started working earlier in the morning. I bought a 10 x 15 pop up canopy to provide shade. I started wearing wicking t shirts to help keep dry. I wear the cooling towel on my head while I work. I alternate between a bottle of water and a bottle of Gatorade. I take at least a 1/2 hour break inside in the air conditioning.
    As far as the water spots go if the 3D Eraser Gel doesn't work for you then you may have to repolish the paint with Blackfire One Step or HD Speed.

11. Thanks mightypudge thanked for this post
    Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Glad you're okay. As somebody that works in the SoCal high desert heat everyday, you've got to know when to say when.

13. Thanks mightypudge thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Don’t be embarrassed. Stuff happens and you had a medical emergency. It’s time to be embarrassed when your like smoking crack and end up going to 7-11 naked for some Cheetos. But, no reason for you to be embarrassed.

Anyway, I’m sure dudes are going to recommend all kinds of fancy water spot Car Pro / Gyeon this and that whatevers. TBH, wiping the car down with white vinegar will get rid of them if the aren’t etched & stuff is like $2 a gallon. Just don’t use in sun & neutralize with water as you go along.

If they are etched- they need to be polished out. Watch the heat. Best thing to drink that’s readily available is Gatoraide mixed 50/50 with water.

Detailing can be a rabbit hole. Bottom line is if you drive your car everyday it’s just going to get dirty again - fast. Don’t take it too seriously. And, if you take these forums too seriously - they’ll have to buying $$$ nano ceramic silica glass infused unicorn tears imported from someplace thats like $100 an ounce that only can be applied with towels that immediacy need to be tossed in the garbage or else.

The returns on that stuff are very diminishing - if they exist at all. It’s easier to get just as good results spending 1/5 of the $$$ using tried and true stuff not the latest and greatest.

15. Thanks mightypudge thanked for this post
    Likes PaulMys, Bobh59, GEM65 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Damn, glad you're ok Pudge.

Can't really add too much to the great advice above.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

17. Thanks mightypudge thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Glad to hear you're doing better.
    If it's any consolation, thank God you don't own a Suburban, or a 4 Door Silverado 4x4 Pickup! LOL

As others have mentioned, remember to stay hydrated, and take breaks. Age or shape is often not a factor, that heat and exhaustion can be a killer.

And for the removal of the water spots, I tend to feel and agree with a chemical removal process rather than any abrading (polishing) of the paint surface. (If you can get away with it)

I'd be inclined to try the white vinegar, spray, wipe, and then perhaps do a full wipedown with a damp MF Towel again after when the right time, weather conditions, and your health permits (or your son)

If this might be a possible ongoing water spot problem with your vehicle, I might suggest buying a specific water spot remover product such as from Carpro and there's others made to have on hand for a possible future occurrence.

They're not snake oil, but are specifically designed and engineered products made to be applied on auto finishes.

Again, glad you are OK

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast