autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Mobile business owners

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Tran View Post
    What area are you detailing?
    Hey Dan, Kalamazoo Michigan! Thanks for asking!

Sent from my Mi A1 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Re: Mobile business owners

Quote Originally Posted by Jon TDS View Post
    Got a pic of that attachment?

Here's one that I often use; it doesn't slow down like other brushes I used to use & has 'WindTunnel Technology' (reduces dirt scattering instead of being picked up)

Not even thick carpet or fabric can slow this brush when its connected to a shop vac
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mobile business owners-20170921_150306-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting! I'll research that. I think I can break even immediately with one service.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sudsmobile View Post
    I will say this, I used to work with the same broke dick Ridgid vac that everybody uses. Blah. We switched to the big $200 Shop Vac model that big blue carries and that thing pulls like you wouldn't believe. It's permanently mounted inside my trailer running 50' of pool hose on a crevice tool. I've never used a better vacuum.
    I have looked at the Rigid and Shop Vac 6.5 HP vacuums for a while... Would really like the extra power compared to my 5 HP unit but unfortunatelly they only make them with huge canisters. Way too big for my mobile rig. If they came out with a unit that was 6.5 HP and 5 gallon tank, I would buy it for sure!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by flooramatic View Post
    Here's one that I often use; it doesn't slow down like other brushes I used to use & has 'WindTunnel Technology' (reduces dirt scattering instead of being picked up)

Not even thick carpet or fabric can slow this brush when its connected to a shop vac
    I use one for cleaning removable mats and sometimes use it in the car if there is room. It's hard to use in tight spaces but on cloth seats there is no issue. Never tried it on dog hair. Good to know it makes short work of it. Now when people call me and start describing horible situations like "Oh I have 2 big dogs and there is a lot of hair" or "My little boy was sick in the car" I just decline the job. Super busy with Ceramic coating jobs so I feel no need to take jobs I know will make me miserable.

6. Likes FehrWash liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Interesting! I'll research that. I think I can break even immediately with one service.

The one I purchased at a vacuum store cost me 30 CAN$ so in the US it's probably in the 15-20$ range. Very inexpensive and it works very well for removable mats, so you can expect to use it a lot.

8. Thanks UncleDavy thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks!

For ceramic coating, which one do you use and what advise do you give to clients re curing and water exposure? I have a client who was interested pulled back after hearing that cquk 3.0 would need 48 hrs cure time without water contact.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks!

For ceramic coating, which one do you use and what advise do you give to clients re curing and water exposure? I have a client who was interested pulled back after hearing that cquk 3.0 would need 48 hrs cure time without water contact.

Right now I am using McKee's 37 exclusivelly. I am planning on adding Gtechniq CSL eventually but that product is a little more tricky because of the water exposure issue you mentionned.

So, with McKee's, I am mobile and do most of the work outside. Sometimes people have garages or are parked in underground garages but these are uncommon for me. What I do after applying the coating is I apply CarPro Reload on top to protect the coating during the cure period. McKee's doesn't mention what the cure time is but for most coating it's a week. The first 24 hours are the critical part where you don't want water on it, afterwards it should not be an issue. So for the first 24 hours, and during the rest of the week, the sealant will protect the coating from getting wet.

What I tell clients is this: Do not wash the car for at least 7 days after application. If they ask about water exposure I explain about the sealant.

I also send them an email with a reminder of things to avoid doing (automatic car washes and the like) and a video I made explaining how to maintain the car.

As a side note, I think CQuartz is a very bad choice for a detailer to use. As far as I know, you have to apply 2 coats. So that is 1 hour of extra work for you, plus the time you have to wait between coats. Also the product is really expensive for a 2 year coating. McKee's 37 is 45$ for a bottle that will allow you to coat about 5 cars, Cquartz is what? 70$? And you can only do 1 car with it. I tested EXO and it was the same issues, I did 1 car and had only about a quarter of the bottle left. So I will not be offering EXO. Also the durability of EXO and CQuartz are less than McKee's, so I see no reason to offer them.

CSL is a product that Gtechniq warranties of you are an authorized installer, so I have confidence the product is good. Also it's a 1 coat product and it's very easy to apply, just like McKee's. The only reason I am not offering it is I fear it might confuse clients and make them hesitate. Right now my close rate on coating is very high. I would say I close 80% of the people who contact me. I don't want to reduce that. You know the saying, don't change a winning formula.

11. Likes Jon TDS liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks man.

I agree from a cost standpoint that's a no brainier! Thanks for sharing that.

Have you thought about BF SiO2 spray instead of reload? That's also cost effective.

Post Thanks / Like

I used to offer coatings. The most I do now are paint protection details done with sealants or wax.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast