autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Things I saw at the car show SMH!

I saw a guy wiping his car down with a sponge. When he got to the wheels, he took his paint sponge and used it to cushion his knee on the concrete. Then he stood up, picked up his sponge, and without rinsing it, started wiping his paint.

I saw a 1 bucket wash with Mr Clean dish soap and a sponge. The car show provided a hose for rinsing.

I spoke to a man with a 1958 Corvette. 7100 miles on the odometer original. I thought the paint looked pretty good for probably a 20 year old paint job. He said he had it painted six months ago, but as he was restoring it, he laid mats over it taken directly from the garage floor.

Kirk Harrod's Mobile Detailing, Frankfort, KY
    Official Detailer of Camarofest 8 & 9
    No one has detailed more Camaros.

2. Likes Thomkirby liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Things I saw at the car show SMH!

Car shows are amazing places. So many clones, fakes and just plain poorly cared for vehicles. Were you able to drum up any business?

4. Thanks LEDetailing thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Not as successful at this one as CamaroFest. This is a much older crowd, and they don't seem to think us whippersnappers know anything about detailing LOL! Seeing a lot of detailing techniques that are now outdated.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KirkH View Post
    I saw a guy wiping his car down with a sponge. When he got to the wheels, he took his paint sponge and used it to cushion his knee on the concrete. Then he stood up, picked up his sponge, and without rinsing it, started wiping his paint.

I saw a 1 bucket wash with Mr Clean dish soap and a sponge. The car show provided a hose for rinsing.

I spoke to a man with a 1958 Corvette. 7100 miles on the odometer original. I thought the paint looked pretty good for probably a 20 year old paint job. He said he had it painted six months ago, but as he was restoring it, he laid mats over it taken directly from the garage floor.

Should have said hi to me...…

Post Thanks / Like

Not as successful at this one as CamaroFest.

This is a much older crowd, and they don't
    seem to think us whippersnappers know
    anything about detailing LOL! Seeing a lot
    of detailing techniques that are now outdated.
    I don’t know how other folks in
    the much older crowd think; but:

This old guy doesn’t get much joy
    at Car Shows, lookin’ for a bunch of
    swirls, swirls, swirls;

”I'm still a red-blooded American boy;
    And I just can't stop lookin' (for all of the):
    Girls! Girls! Girls!”
    {~Elvis Presley; ca. 1962}

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

8. Likes Chopper280, Frank70, PaulMys, KirkH, mbkite and 3 others liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah we go down to other car shows and its like a big party! We wash and polish cars and talk detailing with car show attendees. Music is played and its a good time had by all. People hang out while we clean their cars after the trip to the show. They are usually thrilled with our service. At the last one, we serviced over 130 cars! But this was the oldest crowd for any car show we have done. I would've thought they would've liked the service. I was wrong on this one. I got the "real car guys wash their own cars" several times. Of course, the guy who had gravel in his sponge said it too!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by briarpatch View Post
    Car shows are amazing places. So many clones, fakes and just plain poorly cared for vehicles. Were you able to drum up any business?
    So true. What is worse than the poor care is the fact that some people can’t see the harm they are inflicting on their car.

On the flip side. I was at a show last weekend and saw dozens of cars out of 500-600 cars shown that were nearly to that “show car” perfect. To be honest my Trans Am with only 8,500 miles could use 10 more hours of polishing to get it to that next level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

This is a much older crowd, and they don't seem to think us whippersnappers know anything about detailing LOL! Seeing a lot of detailing techniques that are now outdated.
    Many many years ago Todd Helme had a great answer for a member who worked at a car dealer, and was learning to work in the detail bay from a guy who had been there for 15 years. The new member's question was that the techniques that were preached on the forum (I can't remember if it was Autopia, TID, AF, or here) were much different than what this "expert" of 15 years was teaching him...who was right? Todd explained that it sounded like his coworker didn't really have 15 years of experience, but that he had just been doing what he learned in the first month for 15 years...so he really had 1 month of experience and 15 years of practice (doing it the wrong way).

I've certainly run into people in my life who have already learned all they need to know and aren't interested in learning anything else or getting any advice on anything. Sounds like your car show crowd and I'd say those guys are not the kind of people who you'll find on a forum like this, or not for long.

12. Likes oneheadlite, JFire72, SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

There is a local ice cream/hot dog stand drive-in that hosts car rallies every week and I stopped by on my way home. It was a mix of classic touring cars and muscle cars. I was appalled at the condition of the paint on every single car. The cars were either faded, scratched, chipped or swirled. Even the engine bays on the muscle cars were lousy. I was hoping to find at least one car in near show quality condition.

Post Thanks / Like

Kinda makes one wonder...when 'our' daily drivers are lookin' better than 'their' show cars.

Bill
    In dog beers, I've only had one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast