autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mike Phillips

Re: Help near St. Louis with windshield

Quote Originally Posted by Bobh59 View Post

Glasweld Proclean will take care of that for you.

Even though it's against forum rules to share products not sold on the AG store since they pay for this forum and things like my time to type out information etc., I went ahead and looked this product up as I have a lot of experience machine polishing glass to do both,

Topical glass polishing - to remove film and water spot contamination OFF the surface of glass

Sub-surface glass polishing - to remove scratches

The product you recommended states it uses both acid and micro-abrasives to do topical glass cleaning. Supposed to come with some form of a scuff pad, probably something like Scotchbrite and then they recommend as an option to use #0000 steel wool. I never use steel on glass as I believe it scratches it and I know how to accomplish the same thing without using steel.

To the thread starter, you might be able to find a water spot remover from Meguiar's or Mothers at your local stores, I've used both and they both work. For really bad film staining like you're describing, you might have to get more aggressive and go with something like Ceriglass by CarPro with their glass polishing pads for machine polishing with the PC.

Griot's also makes a fine glass polish and dedicated glass polishing pads for use with a PC or Griot's type orbital.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Daven75 View Post

I used a

Porter Cable DA
    LC Orange pad
    Megs 105 and polished with Megs 205

What size Lake Country orange pad?

Was it the 6.5" CCS pad that's about a 1 1/4" thick?

This would mean you have a 6" backing plate and this size plate and these size pads are way too big for this type of tool.

A 5" backing plate and a 5.5" Lake Country ThinPro orange foam cutting pad will spin on that tool like it was a rotary buffer and then you can get down and get some work done.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Even though it's against forum rules to share products not sold on the AG store since they pay for this forum and things like my time to type out information etc., I went ahead and looked this product up as I have a lot of experience machine polishing glass to do both,

Topical glass polishing - to remove film and water spot contamination OFF the surface of glass

Sub-surface glass polishing - to remove scratches

The product you recommended states it uses both acid and micro-abrasives to do topical glass cleaning. Supposed to come with some form of a scuff pad, probably something like Scotchbrite and then they recommend as an option to use #0000 steel wool. I never use steel on glass as I believe it scratches it and I know how to accomplish the same thing without using steel.

To the thread starter, you might be able to find a water spot remover from Meguiar's or Mothers at your local stores, I've used both and they both work. For really bad film staining like you're describing, you might have to get more aggressive and go with something like Ceriglass by CarPro with their glass polishing pads for machine polishing with the PC.

Griot's also makes a fine glass polish and dedicated glass polishing pads for use with a PC or Griot's type orbital.

What size Lake Country orange pad?

Was it the 6.5" CCS pad that's about a 1 1/4" thick?

This would mean you have a 6" backing plate and this size plate and these size pads are way too big for this type of tool.

A 5" backing plate and a 5.5" Lake Country ThinPro orange foam cutting pad will spin on that tool like it was a rotary buffer and then you can get down and get some work done.

Ah my bad, its a 5" backing plate with 5.5" pads. I have some gritty compound I might try instead. I never thought about that but it makes sense!

Do you think I would have any luck with any store bought, standard hard water mark remover or would it be too aggressive for a car window?

Worst case I'll order up the Griots glass polish and pads since I can get them from the local Advance Auto Parts for cheap. Gotta love having a friend who works there!

Mike Phillips

Ah my bad, its a 5" backing plate with 5.5" pads. I have some gritty compound I might try instead. I never thought about that but it makes sense!
    Also - use highest speed setting, press down with firm pressure. Move polisher slowly.

Do you think I would have any luck with any store bought, standard hard water mark remover or would it be too aggressive for a car window?
    Hard to say... always do a TEST SPOT and NEVER test where the driver looks through the windshield. (Don't ask me how I know)

Worst case I'll order up the Griots glass polish and pads since I can get them from the local Advance Auto Parts for cheap.

Gotta love having a friend who works there!

Griot's works good, make sure glass is clean from loose dirt/debris no matter what you use.

Always test in one area before buffing out all the glass.

I was give a product to test one time and it scratched the glass. Once you scratch glass, in order to remove it you MUST have the right abrasive technology and pads (plus skill and experience) to remove scratches out of glass.

Post Thanks / Like

Also - use highest speed setting, press down with firm pressure. Move polisher slowly.

Hard to say... always do a TEST SPOT and NEVER test where the driver looks through the windshield. (Don't ask me how I know)

Griot's works good, make sure glass is clean from loose dirt/debris no matter what you use.

Always test in one area before buffing out all the glass.

I was give a product to test one time and it scratched the glass. Once you scratch glass, in order to remove it you MUST have the right abrasive technology and pads (plus skill and experience) to remove scratches out of glass.

Huh, never thought about using the highest speed, but it makes since cause glass is so strong.

Oh yea, always doing a test spot on the lower passenger side usually.

I appreciate your suggestions. Once I get the car back from the dealer I'll get to testing!

Post Thanks / Like

My apologies for violating forum rules - was just trying to provide a solution that I know works. In regards to the product itself, their site clearly states it is water-based, biodegradable and uses no acids.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm in St Louis and always willing to lend a hand. I have plenty of stuff we can try(including some glass polish and rayon pads if need be)

Shoot me a pm if youd like.

8. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    I'm in St Louis and always willing to lend a hand. I have plenty of stuff we can try(including some glass polish and rayon pads if need be)

Shoot me a pm if youd like.
    Sweet, I'm gonna give a few things a shot first, then if I can't make any headway, I may hit ya up! I appreciate it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12