autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Help water etching on paint glass and chrome

2016 keep jeep grand cherokee with the velvet red paint, has chrome trim around the windows and on the roof bars. I think maybe well water was used when jeep was washed and it dried in the sun, there is bad water etching on all the glass, windows, and chrome trim around windows and roof bars, hood, and roof; not on any lower panels but minor etching on top of door panels just below the windows.

I used optimum MDR then clayed with Dawn dishwashing soap, did not remove any etching.
    Started with new pink pad on my orbital with poorboys ssr2, no affect.
    Then used orange pad with ssr2.5, porter cable 7424 speed on 5 to 6, did whole vehicle like that with extra time and pressure on hood especially and on roof. Came out looking pretty good.

Then applied poorboys ex-p sealant and while doing etching became visible, then sealant hazed like normal, that then buffed out by hand looking good. Followed with finish kare hi temp paste wax, came out looking showroom worthy.

If I look hard I can still find some etching on the hood,
    and on the roof especially along the ribs where buffing pad couldnt hit hard. But mostly to any normal person at least right now it looks super.

Is there any good way or other way to remove water spot etching? It's been on there since last summer, and still easily noticeable on the black between front and rear door windows.

Using an orange pad as hard as I did with ssr2.5 how close or dangerous was I to cutting down the clear? If anyplace I am worried about it's the hood.
    Still need to do the chrome and glass, need suggestions. Thanks.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Help water etching on paint glass and chrome

on the chrome: eagle nevrdull no affect, mothers billet metal polish (which is not recommended for chrome) barely had an affect. And anyone who says vinegar has no clue what they are doing. What did work was my rubbing compound i use on the boat, got from either west marine or bassproshop years ago, and using a cotton terry cloth and a decent amount of finger pressure, and time.

i did just the driver's door window (the outside) the same way with the rubbing compound and was able to remove the water spotting/etching, will most likely use my orbital and a heavy cut foam pad if not my wool pad and the rubbing compound.

this was on a jeep grand cherokee overland, red, has chrome trim around the windows.Help water etching on paint glass and chrome-index-jpg

Post Thanks / Like

The Neverdull didn’t scratch the plastic chrome?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

no nevrdull did not hurt the plastic chrome.

and megs billet metal polish for aluminum (not chrome) also did not hurt the plastic chrome, and i tried {not saying people should use billet metal polish}

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ron7000 View Post
    no nevrdull did not hurt the plastic chrome.

and megs billet metal polish for aluminum (not chrome) also did not hurt the plastic chrome, and i tried {not saying people should use billet metal polish}
    Mothers Billet Metal Polish*

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

sorry yeah, mothers.

Mothers® Billet Metal Polish

using white cloth turns black instantly when using, turned black even when using on chrome.

Post Thanks / Like

Get a water spot remover.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    Get a water spot remover.
    you mean like this: Duragloss Water Spot Remover (WSR) #505

or this: Optimum MDR Mineral Deposit Remover, water spot remover for paint, water spot remover glass

did not work, want a refund!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ron7000 View Post
    sorry yeah, mothers.

MothersHelp water etching on paint glass and chrome Billet Metal Polish

using white cloth turns black instantly when using, turned black even when using on chrome.
    I always understood that metal polish will turn black immediately if used on real metal. But wouldn't turn black as quick if used on a clear coat surface.

I've had this issue once before, where I was told the trim was plastic, the surface was actually metal. After a good polishing they looked good.

I'd like someone else to confirm my first 2 sentences if possible. I seem to recall seeing this on a bottle of mother's metal polish.

Good luck and happy detailing.

Sent from my PH-1 using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Help water etching on paint glass and chrome

Quote Originally Posted by sinister84 View Post
    I always understood that metal polish will turn black immediately if used on real metal. But wouldn't turn black as quick if used on a clear coat surface.

I've had this issue once before, where I was told the trim was plastic, the surface was actually metal. After a good polishing they looked good.

I'd like someone else to confirm my first 2 sentences if possible. I seem to recall seeing this on a bottle of mother's metal polish.

Good luck and happy detailing.

Sent from my PH-1 using Autogeekonline mobile app
    Yes you are correct and yes it does say that on the Mothers label..

I’ve personally used a few metal polishes that can also be used for chrome [i.e. Britemax and the discontinued Meguiars Med. Metal Polish] on my chrome wheels and it’s never turned black the same way it does when polishing bare aluminum or other bare metals.

I’m not 2nd guessing the OP because if that’s what he says happened then who am I to say it didn’t... But there is a slight possibility that the black could’ve came from the rubber window trim right next to the plastic chrome? I dunno, just a thought.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast