autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Need advice on removing scratches and detailing Black Rims

Hi I am new to the forum. I have really enjoyed all of the great info and advise that this forum has to offer. I don't detail for a living but I do enjoy detailing my own vehicles. I recently purchased a 2006 Hummer H2. The rims are AE Hardrock Series 507 by Eagle Alloys clear coated Gloss Black & Aluminum. The previous owner frequented Auto Bell need I say more. The rims have what appears to be some water spots and fine brush scratches.

I was wondering what you guys might recommend for getting rid of the water spots & fine scratches and getting these rims looking new again. I don't as of yet have a DA polisher so I would be doing it by hand. Also any recommendations on a good rim cleaner for these rims as well as a good tire cleaner to remove browning. Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Need advice on removing scratches and detailing Black Rims-rims-1-jpg   Need advice on removing scratches and detailing Black Rims-rims-3-jpg   Need advice on removing scratches and detailing Black Rims-rims-2-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Need advice on removing scratches and detailing Black Rims

I like Meguiars Ultimate wheel cleaner. This can be a time saver. I know first hand this wheel cleaner can remove tar. Perhaps for removing the fine scratches, a 3in DA is in order.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Need advice on removing scratches and detailing Black Rims

I’ve had good luck with most quality wheel cleaners. Meguiars 143 will clean your tires just fine as well as your wheels. If you’re thinking about coating your tires, I would get some Tuf Shine tire cleaner or probably Mother’s back to black tire renewal would work too.

As far as the scratches and water spots... by hand... well, see what you have after the wheel cleaner. Maybe some Ultimate Compound. Maybe get a 1-2 inch plate and pad set up you can chuck in a drill.