autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Glaze.. Before or after sealant + wax?

Should glaze be applied before or after sealant/wax?

I've always known to apply glaze after sealant and wax because they won't bond to glazed surface.

But upon doing some search, it is recommended to apply before sealant and wax.

I already applied sealant and wax on my car (Klasse sealant + Collinite 845). Should I applied to the glaze on top of these products? Would there be any negative effects (sealant/wax stripping off, etc)

I have Griot's Garage Paint Glaze

Thanks in advance

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Glaze.. Before or after sealant + wax?

Griots says b4 you use a wax or sealant. Glad you mentioned what product because the term “glaze” can be loosely interpreted. Not sure of the negative effects of putting it on after. My guess it will alter your current Lsp’s properties or maybe remove it period.
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Oldz View Post
    Griots says b4 you use a wax or sealant. Glad you mentioned what product because the term “glaze” can be loosely interpreted. Not sure of the negative effects of putting it on after. My guess it will alter your current Lsp’s properties or maybe remove it period.
    Thanks for the reply

Post Thanks / Like

Glaze is for car shows and lasts about 4 weeks at best. Its not magic. It is recommended to put the glaze on before the sealant. it can't hurt to put it on top, but i would probably top it with wax. It's all about how your car looks to you. I have discovered a lot of cool things by thinking outside the box, so don't be afraid to try it on top of your sealant and wax.
    Kirk Harrod's Mobile Detailing, Frankfort, KY
    Official Detailer of Camarofest 8 & 9
    No one has detailed more Camaros.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KirkH View Post
    Glaze is for car shows and lasts about 4 weeks at best. Its not magic. It is recommended to put the glaze on before the sealant. it can't hurt to put it on top, but i would probably top it with wax. It's all about how your car looks to you. I have discovered a lot of cool things by thinking outside the box, so don't be afraid to try it on top of your sealant and wax.
    Thanks for reply. Is there a reason why you would top the glaze with wax? Would it make last longer?

I already applied a coat of Klasse sealant. And then I topped it with a coat of Collinite 845.

Should I apply a coat of Griot's glaze, and top it with another coat of Collinite?

At the moment, I'm mostly worried about he glaze undoing he sealant and the wax I already applied....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrq0604 View Post
    Thanks for reply. Is there a reason why you would top the glaze with wax? Would it make last longer?

I already applied a coat of Klasse sealant. And then I topped it with a coat of Collinite 845.

Should I apply a coat of Griot's glaze, and top it with another coat of Collinite?

At the moment, I'm mostly worried about he glaze undoing he sealant and the wax I already applied....
    I think the glaze would last longer if it were topped with wax (or sealant). The glaze is not going to "undo" anything, It may interfere with the wax repelling water. You are not going to hurt anything though.
    Kirk Harrod's Mobile Detailing, Frankfort, KY
    Official Detailer of Camarofest 8 & 9
    No one has detailed more Camaros.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KirkH View Post
    I think the glaze would last longer if it were topped with wax (or sealant). The glaze is not going to "undo" anything, It may interfere with the wax repelling water. You are not going to hurt anything though.
    Thank you.

8. Likes KirkH liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Is glaze something that is used often? Maybe even for weekend cars?

And does glaze really add noticeable shine or gloss?

Post Thanks / Like

Why glaze? I am new to detailing and from what I have learned it doesn’t correct anything but hides them. It has a place in detailing for short term results. Can’t you correct what you are trying to hide? Glaze is totally new to me (thinking out loud); experiment and let us know how it turns out.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Markymapo View Post
    Why glaze? I am new to detailing and from what I have learned it doesn’t correct anything but hides them. It has a place in detailing for short term results. Can’t you correct what you are trying to hide? Glaze is totally new to me (thinking out loud); experiment and let us know how it turns out.
    Yes, it supposedly adds extra shine and gloss, especially for show cars. And tbh, all the sealants and waxes claim to hide swirls to certain degrees.

I am confused right now because there are many conflicting accounts on when to apply glaze. I remember reading that glaze would be stripped off after one wash - hence the idea of applying glaze over sealant and wax

Now I'm reading many different opinions.... Will glaze affect sealant bonding

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast