autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Glaze.. Before or after sealant + wax?

Skip the glazes entirely. Polishes and machines are so good now, you don't need them. If you want some extra pop, buy a good finishing polish, something like Menzerna SF-3800. Use the effort you would spend applying a glaze and do some extra polishing instead. Then you won't need to worry about a glaze because there will be no defects to "hide." I never thought glazes did a good job hiding defects anyway.

Post Thanks / Like

Glaze.. Before or after sealant + wax?

Quote Originally Posted by chet31 View Post
    I never thought glazes did a good job hiding defects anyway.
    Think again... Check out what Meguiars #7 Show Car Glaze was able to hide.

Plus Megs Show Car Glaze adds more pop than any finishing polish could ever dream of achieving.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KirkH View Post
    Glaze is for car shows and lasts about 4 weeks at best. Its not magic. It is recommended to put the glaze on before the sealant. it can't hurt to put it on top, but i would probably top it with wax. It's all about how your car looks to you. I have discovered a lot of cool things by thinking outside the box, so don't be afraid to try it on top of your sealant and wax.
    Hum... does a glaze actually work if you apply it on top of a wax or sealant?

A glaze fills the micro scratches with a resin. If the surface is protected by a wax, how can it do that?

You should definatelly apply it before. But instead of doing this, why not correct the paint and remove the defects for good? I can understand the need for a glaze in some situations, but if you are using it on a regular basis, spending the time removing the swirls would be a much better solution.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    Think again... Check out what Meguiars #7 Show Car Glaze was able to hide.

Plus Megs Show Car Glaze adds more pop than any finishing polish could ever dream of achieving.
    Wow, that is pretty amazing. I have had a bottle of this stuff for 4 years and never used it once LOL. That is some serious filling ability!

Too bad it doesn't last.

5. Thanks Eldorado2k thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Glaze.. Before or after sealant + wax?

Quote Originally Posted by Calendyr View Post
    if you are using it on a regular basis, spending the time removing the swirls would be a much better solution.
    What if you have really soft paint that gets swirls after a few washes no matter how careful you try to be? If you could get the filling capabilities of a glaze to last 1-3 months, wouldn’t that be smarter than correcting and polishing away your clearcoat every 3 months? I think so, but maybe it’s just me. 99% of the detailing community is of the belief #7 is completely useless on clearcoat, but those pics I just posted prove otherwise.

I’m thinking about doing a longterm experiment with a glaze on black paint.. I just need to find a willing guiniea pig that has some swirls to hide.

Post Thanks / Like

I've tried #7 a few times and never thought it did anything special to the paint. Heck I even tried it on the hood of my Kubota tractor.
    Then again I've never used it on paint that bad. To me it was just another wax.

Mike Phillips

The real problem now days is the word "glaze" is used interchangeably with the words polish and sealant.

A true glaze is a body shop product used to mask swirls from shoddy buffing work. In the real world, a person would actually create a nice finish and then they would not have to use a glaze to hide swirls.

Wolfgang Finishing Glaze is NOT a glaze but a fine cut polish.

There's a product called Race Glaze which is not a glaze but a sealant.

It would probably be best to specify the exact brand of "glaze" when asking about a glaze and then maybe someone on here will know what the heck the product actually is or is not.

Me? I never uses glazes for detailing projects outside of #7 for restoring antique, single stage paint that is important to me or the owner. Outside of that it's one of these,

Compound
    Polish
    AIO

9. Likes MikeC78 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Is filling the only capability that glaze offers? Is this how glaze achieves extra shine and gloss?

I've known glaze can add show-car appearance but didn't know it achieves that by hiding swirls....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrq0604 View Post
    Is filling the only capability that glaze offers? Is this how glaze achieves extra shine and gloss?

I've known glaze can add show-car appearance but didn't know it achieves that by hiding swirls....
    As far as I know the very definition of a glaze is a product which fills in defects. Shiny paint comes from the removal of defects and is only enhanced with a wax, sealant or coating. A glaze temporarlily creates the same results by filling in and masking any defects in the paint.

I used to use glazes like Poorboys Blackhole or Prima Amigo in the fall and would top it with a good sealant. I knew full well it woudn't correct the paint, but that was by design. I was simply improving the shine on the cars to carry them through winter until I could give them a proper polishing in the spring.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

12. Likes DBAILEY liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

FK1 had a spray glaze that was used on top of your wax or sealant. It had pretty decent protection. The Danase or Detail Shoppe Wet Glaze could be used on top but they were acrylic based glazes and not the oily type.

Poorboys Blackhole and Prima Amigo are the one's that I will use. Megs #7 on SS paints. I also have the AF Ultra Glaze which probably has the best hiding ability of the glazes I have tried. You can not polish every car that comes your way despite everyone's claims. Sometimes you need to use a glaze if the CC is too thin or on its last legs.

Many glazes will have some type of cleaning component to them which makes putting them on top of your wax or sealant not wise

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast