autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Angry Outdoor detailing for those that hate the outdoors

</rant>

Good morning, AGO! I took the day off from work and had the morning to myself, so I figured it might be nice to give the GTI a waterless washing before it got too hot outside. I was wrong.

The first thing that hit me the second I walked out the front door was the humidity; like pea soup, but worse. I didn't know 78 degrees could feel so disgusting and uncomfortable. I was sweating before picking up my first microfiber towel. But I was determined to make the best of it, so I carried on. Within seconds of finishing my first panel, every living insect in a quarter mile radius seemed to convene on my general location. I am allergic to bee stings, so when four or five of those suckers start buzzing me, I tend to get antsy. Mosquitos are another big problem around here, and the problem seems to worsen in high humidity. Not to mention, they seem fully resistant to whatever repellent I wear. The final straw was the fallout from the flying pests. I believe there are a few thousand birds nesting nearby. They seem to take a direct route over my car as they fly to and from their perches, dropping detritus and berry-colored acid bombs in the process.

Pardon my flair for the melodramatic. I truly do hate the outdoors and always have, even as a child, so I tend to exaggerate. One of these days I will win the lottery and, with the proceeds, buy a house with an enormous air-conditioned garage.

I don't think I have a question, just venting I suppose. If anyone has any stories of the outdoors they'd like to share, or advice for those of us that hate nature, feel free to share.

</end rant>

2. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Outdoor detailing for those that hate the outdoors

Maybe a bug zapper would help

4. Likes mightypudge liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mightypudge View Post
    </rant>

Good morning, AGO! I took the day off from work and had the morning to myself, so I figured it might be nice to give the GTI a waterless washing before it got too hot outside. I was wrong.

The first thing that hit me the second I walked out the front door was the humidity; like pea soup, but worse. I didn't know 78 degrees could feel so disgusting and uncomfortable. I was sweating before picking up my first microfiber towel. But I was determined to make the best of it, so I carried on. Within seconds of finishing my first panel, every living insect in a quarter mile radius seemed to convene on my general location. I am allergic to bee stings, so when four or five of those suckers start buzzing me, I tend to get antsy. Mosquitos are another big problem around here, and the problem seems to worsen in high humidity. Not to mention, they seem fully resistant to whatever repellent I wear. The final straw was the fallout from the flying pests. I believe there are a few thousand birds nesting nearby. They seem to take a direct route over my car as they fly to and from their perches, dropping detritus and berry-colored acid bombs in the process.

Pardon my flair for the melodramatic. I truly do hate the outdoors and always have, even as a child, so I tend to exaggerate. One of these days I will win the lottery and, with the proceeds, buy a house with an enormous air-conditioned garage.

I don't think I have a question, just venting I suppose. If anyone has any stories of the outdoors they'd like to share, or advice for those of us that hate nature, feel free to share.

</end rant>
    I'm a real believer in "to each his own", and would never criticize anyone for a lack of love for the outdoors. Even my fondness only goes so far - I have been very active with the Boy Scouts for many years, but only go on a couple campouts per year, and that is because I can't stand sleeping on the ground. I only go when setting up a hammock is an option.

But I do feel badly that you don't enjoy being outside. All of those irritations are real, for sure, but to me, they can't compare to the smell of fresh air, the sun shining on my face, the chirping of the bomb - producers, a deer occasionally wondering by. These experiences are spectacular to me, and well worth putting up with the things you mention.

Again, to each his own, but for me, when it's time to move my work indoors fulltime in the late fall, I long to open the garage door back up again and get back to being outside.

Post Thanks / Like

I am with you MP, I really don't care for the outdoors either. I don't like the heat or sunlight, probably why I have worked 3rd shift for so many years. I only go out to do what I have to do to maintain my property. When it comes to detailing I usually go out on friday nights when the sun is about to go down, wash and get it back in the garage and finish up. Interior work usually happens on sunday mornings, I start around 4am.

I even quit golf a few years ago because of the sun,heat,humidity,bugs. I like the game, but when I need my golf fix I go to a driving range (more of a practice facility) that is open late and has lights. Go there smack a bucket of balls off, they have a couple putting greens with enough room to play with the wedges. This is why I am a bowler, its indoors and climate controlled, plus I have never lost a ball at the alley!

7. Likes SWETM, Jon TDS liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

"Even quit golf"? Now that's blasphemous!

I would like to reduce the number of balls I lose. But hitting those bowling balls with a golf club hurts!

9. Likes Hammer77, SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That does sound pretty miserable and I do not miss the humidity and bugs. Out in AZ here, we have the extreme heat, but I really enjoy getting up when the sun comes up and detailing. I'm a weekend detailer and I'm sitting here at my full time job (software developer) and can't wait to get back out there tomorrow morning. I have no bugs or humidity to deal with, but it will most likely be 90*+ when I start at 5:30am. I'm hoping to knock out the F-150 that I have scheduled in around 4-5 hours, collect my $200, and enjoy the rest of the day in the A/C in doors.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm with you as it pertains to the heat, humidity and bugs....I hate the summer....I barely go outside. If I'm washing a car, I start at 0600 and get it inside before I run out of shade.

Post Thanks / Like

Same. I am out the door at 6AM Saturday morning. Get the Xterra clean and done. You can not do a proper wash with the sun beating down and oppressive temps. Neighbors probably think I am nuts. LOL //
    2018 Colorado ZR2

Post Thanks / Like

Same here as Pro 4x, early morning for real car washes, or on weekdays, occasionally at night, before the sun is fully down. Otherwise it’s quick waterless or Rinseless in my small 1 car garage.

Post Thanks / Like

When I lived in southern NM for 14 years, I should've been a Shaman, just going to any drought stricken area with a can-bottle of Wax in hand, whip it out, start putting it on my vehicle, and guaranteed, within 24 hours, and more commonly within 8-12, the rains would come. 97.9% of the time.

The other 2.1%, it would be high winds accompanied by nasty dusts of various sorts, often white outs.

At least in NM I had a carport. Here I have zero so far for any protection, been searching for 10 months for a home-property to buy, and have not had any luck.

I've been wanting to re-coat my truck with CQuartz, have the product on hand, and it seems when I might eventually get the chance to do a full de-con, polish, etc and coat, the product will be a crystal hard slug in the bottle.

Been hot here in the Midwest this past month, brutal and yeah, the humidity makes you soaked and miserable. So much sweat running into my eyes, I'm half blind for 2 days after.

15. Likes mightypudge liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast