autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Spray on ceramic coating---how many towels per vehicle?

Hi everyone i just got done applying a spray on ceramic coating (hydrosilex) to a full size truck. This product is expensive and i dont want to lose a lot of liquid into the towel. So i find myself not changing the towel. Even though i know it must be getting dirty. I used 1 towel to apply the product, and 1 towel for wipe off.

At the end my apply towel was completely saturated and i went around to "dirty" areas like my old weather stripping and the bottom couple inches of body panel to apply the product.

Now its my understanding that a product like hydrosilex is a liquid that contains the coating. The liquid portion is supposed to flash off and leave the coating behind?

My question is about my saturated applying towel. After doing the entire truck is that towel saturated with actual ceramic coating? Or just a bunch of transfer liquid that has built up?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Spray on ceramic coating---how many towels per vehicle?

Sounds like you may have used too much product. Also this is more in line with a silica spray sealant than an actual coating.

3. Likes TTQ B4U liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

In addition to Guz's answer, I was drawn to your comment about the towel getting dirty. Frankly, I've only seen one video on the product you are working with, but I have to believe that like most LSPs, one of the steps to proper application is a clean car. I'm not sure I understand why you would think that your towel would be dirty. Filled with product? Certainly. But dirty? I don't believe it would be if you started with a clean car.

Post Thanks / Like

After i finished doing the truck my towel used to apply the coating was pretty damp. Not soaked, but damp.

My question is how much UV protecting coating is left in the towel? Is the liquid in the towel mostly the binding agent that has been slowly building up during the process?

Or is it safe to say the damp towel contains roughly the same percentage of chemicals i would find inside the bottle?

As i was going around the truck i wondered if i should be getting a new towel for say like 1/2 the truck, or every 1/4 of the truck. Or best to use the same towel since its starting to become saturated with product......meaning i need to spray less as i work my way around.

Post Thanks / Like

To reply to the comments yes, i used a ton of product. Several areas got treated 4 or 5 times in a row. My roof and hood have bad oxidation.

Truck was washed and used a nanomitt.

Thats another question. Will my highly oxidized rough areas on the paint wear down the nanomitt at a very fast rate? Original plan was to avoid those areas with my brand new expensive mitt. Once i was rolling i hit everywhere.

Post Thanks / Like

I should have done a test. Got an old car here that doesnt work. Should have cleaned a panel and taped off 3 sections.

1st section leave alone
    2nd use my saturated towel
    3rd spray on a coat and apply with clean fresh towel

It could bake in the sun for months and then do a simple visual water beading test.

If the saturated microfiber still has a lot of usable product then i would go around to places like weather stripping or my plastic bedliner and wipe on a layer.

Post Thanks / Like

I have not used Hydrosiilex yet. But it should be identical to all other ceramic sealants so here is how you should do it:

1 Towel for application
    1 towel to buff dry

So your first towel will become wet as you apply the product. The second one, you should flip to a dry side every other panel (folded in 4 will give you 8 sides to use).