autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bug and Tar removal

Quote Originally Posted by LEDetailing View Post
    Stoner’s Xenit Citrus and Tarminator work exceptionally well on tar. For excessive bug removal (friends or customer’s) I usually just use Meguiar’s APC at 10:1 dilution, part of the aggressive wash process.

I’ve got my first order of PB’s Bug Squash sitting at AG HQ waiting to be shipped hoping that will work on light tar.

Both Xenit and Tarminator just melt the tar away. Heavy tar removal especially trucks can require well over one can of either product.
    I will have to look into these more. It must have been one of the TW products that wasn’t cutting it for heavy duty cleaning. I have used Meg’s D101 at 10:1 on the front of cars with decent results definitely not bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JCDetails View Post
    I haven't tried Citrol yet, nor have I tried Tarminator which usually is viewed very favorably.

Personally, I always keep a 1000ml bottle of TarX on hand. I just haven't found anything else that works better, even Gyeon Tar falls short of TarX IMO.
    I agree. Gyeon has a lot cooler bottle but Tar-X works much better.
    2015 F-150 Crew Cab Lariat
    2016 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS

Post Thanks / Like

3M General Purpose Adhesive Remover works really, really well for tar removal.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    3M General Purpose Adhesive Remover works really, really well for tar removal.
    That product sounds a lot like Goo Gone Paulie. That stuff will melt away tar and tree sap. I have used Tarminator with success but I am disappointed in the dwell time. It is a bit thin and runny. Poor Boy Bug Squash also works well but it is also a bit thin and runny. The one product that surprised me that worked very well and it had a great dwell time was an over the counter product. God and fellow forum members forgive me for saying this but Armor All Bug and Tar Remover is a foamy product that has a great dwell time. It also dissolves the bugs and tar very well to the point where you can wipe them away. I was quite surprised.

5. Thanks Maxreed241 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by UncleDavy View Post
    That product sounds a lot like Goo Gone Paulie. That stuff will melt away tar and tree sap. I have used Tarminator with success but I am disappointed in the dwell time. It is a bit thin and runny. Poor Boy Bug Squash also works well but it is also a bit thin and runny. The one product that surprised me that worked very well and it had a great dwell time was an over the counter product. God and fellow forum members forgive me for saying this but Armor All Bug and Tar Remover is a foamy product that has a great dwell time. It also dissolves the bugs and tar very well to the point where you can wipe them away. I was quite surprised.
    3M is a straight liquid.

Dab, swipe it 2-3 times, tar gone........
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

Like others have mentioned, on my cars I do a diluted APC and let it sit a bit before hitting with the pressure washer and most everything on the front number and headlights come clean. I’ve always just scrubbed at tar. I have used invisible glass on it in the past and it worked well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

PB Bug Squash works well on bug guts, but works no better than my Meg's APC at 10:1.

Post Thanks / Like

My experience is like the others....

Tar-X is fantastic but for me, I can't stand the odor and it must be done outside (way worse for me than Iron-X)
    Tarminator and Gyeon TAR are 'just OK' and probably won't be a repeat purchase.
    Citrol is also fantastic.
    I haven't tried it on tar yet but Mothers R3 Racing Rubber Remover is OUTSTANDING for getting the car clean after a HPDE day.

I like BugSquash (vs. McKees bug stuff (esp on $$$$ (like most McKees stuff))) and will continue to use it since I have it

10. Thanks Maxreed241 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

As many have said on here, diluted APC for bugs, and some solvent tar remover for tar. Don't waste your expensive tar remover on bugs.

12. Likes Maxreed241 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I’ve been thinking about just mixing some Naptha in with some mineral spirits and using it out of my black Kwazar.

I use Tarminator but it is not cost effective for a detail business. I can easily use a can per car.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast