autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Will my current tire cleaning regiment work for a clearcoat (Tuf Shine)?

Sorry, I thought you were talking about the Mother's Heavy Duty Trim cleaner to clean the tires and not the Trim Restorer dressing. You would not want that under the Tuff-Shine coating.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DBAILEY View Post
    Sorry, I thought you were talking about the Mother's Heavy Duty Trim cleaner to clean the tires and not the Trim Restorer dressing. You would not want that under the Tuff-Shine coating.
    It is the trim cleaner...its main ingredient (just looked up the MSDS) is n-butyl acetate.

E

3. Likes DBAILEY liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd stick with the TuffSHine cleaner; scrub/cycle until ya get a nice white foam, then good to go with the coating.

Post Thanks / Like

Scrub,scrub,scrub those tires!
    I have been trying 2 months to get Tuffshine to stick to my off road tires.
    About 90% is sticking so I need to scrub some more.
    My daughters tires took the coating first time.

Post Thanks / Like

Instead of using the Mothers Heavy Duty Trim Cleaner to clean the tires use Mothers Back to Black Tire Renew. It’s very similar to the other ‘high quality’ tire cleaners such as McKee’s Tire & Rubber Rejuvenator and therefore I’d assume it’s also very similar to the Tuff Shine tire cleaner. The good thing is that it can be purchased in a smaller bottle that’s easier on the wallet. It works well.

Post Thanks / Like

Simple Green is not a very effective tire cleaner. Megs D143, Adams Tire & Rubber Cleaner and Mother's Back to Black Tire Renew are far superior cleaners. You have to make sure that the tires are squeaky clean if you want the tire coating to last.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by UncleDavy View Post
    Simple Green is not a very effective tire cleaner. Megs D143, Adams Tire & Rubber Cleaner and Mother's Back to Black Tire Renew are far superior cleaners. You have to make sure that the tires are squeaky clean if you want the tire coating to last.
    Interesting...thanks for that fact. Wondering what actually makes these products so much better cleaning tire rubber than off the shelf cleaners. I will look into this more.

Eric

Post Thanks / Like

Will my current tire cleaning regiment work for a clearcoat (Tuf Shine)?

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    Instead of using the Mothers Heavy Duty Trim Cleaner to clean the tires use Mothers Back to Black Tire Renew. It’s very similar to the other ‘high quality’ tire cleaners such as McKee’s Tire & Rubber Rejuvenator and therefore I’d assume it’s also very similar to the Tuff Shine tire cleaner. The good thing is that it can be purchased in a smaller bottle that’s easier on the wallet. It works well.
    If you compared them directly, would you say the M37 version has an edge at all?

I mostly just use degreasers or d143 to clean my tires/wheels. It seems to do a good job but there’s always just a weird tint of brown (no pictures, I’m sure you know what I mean) that never cleans off. It’s not really a big deal, the dressing covers it up, but I’ve been interested in a cleaner that’s this style of tire cleaner for a little while now. Maybe it’s because I do a lot of rinseless washing.

Even though I don’t consider my tire dirty after several rounds of cleaning, I can’t help but want it to just look black after cleaning.

If you grab both during a 20% off/free shipping sale.. the price per ounce isn’t too different between mothers and m37 at .25 vs .31 per ounce (if you buy a gallon of m37.) a 16 ounce bottles of m37 is still nearly a dollar an ounce, coming in at .85 per.

Have you tried multiple passes with the mothers product and seen noticeably different levels of cleanliness? Or tried using a scrub brush with it?

In either case.. I’ll probably grab a bottle of this to try out, it’s hard to say no at 7 bucks even when it’s not on sale. Especially compared to m37 at 17 bucks for 16 ounces, lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Likes Eldorado2k liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Finick View Post
    If you compared them directly, would you say the M37 version has an edge at all?

I mostly just use degreasers or d143 to clean my tires/wheels. It seems to do a good job but there’s always just a weird tint of brown (no pictures, I’m sure you know what I mean) that never cleans off. It’s not really a big deal, the dressing covers it up, but I’ve been interested in a cleaner that’s this style of tire cleaner for a little while now. Maybe it’s because I do a lot of rinseless washing.

Even though I don’t consider my tire dirty after several rounds of cleaning, I can’t help but want it to just look black after cleaning.

If you grab both during a 20% off/free shipping sale.. the price per ounce isn’t too different between mothers and m37 at .25 vs .31 per ounce (if you buy a gallon of m37.) a 16 ounce bottles of m37 is still nearly a dollar an ounce, coming in at .85 per.

Have you tried multiple passes with the mothers product and seen noticeably different levels of cleanliness? Or tried using a scrub brush with it?

In either case.. I’ll probably grab a bottle of this to try out, it’s hard to say no at 7 bucks even when it’s not on sale. Especially compared to m37 at 17 bucks for 16 ounces, lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mothers is good but Tuf Shine is much stronger and cleans better.

D143 is pretty effective as is Mckee’s.

12. Thanks Finick thanked for this post
    Likes BudgetPlan1, Finick liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ejaf View Post
    Interesting...thanks for that fact. Wondering what actually makes these products so much better cleaning tire rubber than off the shelf cleaners. I will look into this more.

Eric
    The Mother's Back to Back Tire Renew is an over the counter product. I couldn't find the MSDS on it but I believe that it is an acidic cleaner. It is a spray on wipe off product that takes the brown crap off in one swipe. You should probably use caution when you have coated rims.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast