autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Best way to address clear coat failure?

Hello everyone, I recently received an older model Honda civic from my parents for my first car. The car itself runs great, but the paint has what I believe to be definite clear coat failure occurring. From what I have read, the best way to fix this is to have the car repainted. I took the car to a body shop to get an estimate and was given a total cost of ~$4,600 to repaint the car. I have attached some pictures of the paint damage at this imgur link.

Imgur: The magic of the Internet

Is there any hope to fix this issue on my own without paying $4,600 to repaint an older car such as this? What would be the best step for me to take?

Any input is appreciated. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Best way to address clear coat failure?

if it was mine, I would look up the actual value of the car on NADA and/or KBB. if the car is only worth $2,500 then I wouldn't be able to justify spending $4,600. Take it to a couple of other reputable shops and get a quote. If it's clear coat failure, the only way to resolve that issue is to repaint it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DonutTyrant View Post
    What would be the best step for me to take?
    ”Uh oh...better get Maaco!”

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

4. Likes DetailKitty, PaulMys, Hammer77 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Agree with the above on what the net-value of the car is. What's the rest of the car like? It's likely the hood roof and trunk could be shot but what about the panels you've not shown? Gotta be a cheaper shop around to get that thing sprayed too. $4,600? What shop would even take the time and insult someone like that if the car itself isn't likely worth much more. Shame on them.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TTQ B4U View Post
    Gotta be a cheaper shop around to
    get that thing sprayed too. $4,600?

What shop would even take the time
    and insult someone like that if the car
    itself isn't likely worth much more.

Shame on them.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Maaco. Really, not that bad.

Post Thanks / Like

The price seems rather high for a full repaint. I repainted mine for $2500 to fix clear coat failure, rust on the upper roof by the passenger side windshield and paint actually fading under the clear. The body shop even took care of some minor dents for me. The car is worth about what I paid for the repaint. The other question you need to ask yourself is whether this is a car you will keep for a long time and if it is worth it.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey everyone thanks for the replies. To answer your questions, I looked up the KBB value for the car and the estimate is about $8,051.

I took the vehicle to a Bruce's Super Body Shop. The man who estimated the price told me it would take 8 days to fix the damage. I dont remember everything he told me, but to summarize... I was told they would be removing the hood, top and rare panels, sanding them down and repainting them entirely. They also said they would have to do it this way in order to be able to give us a lifetime warranty on their paint job. They did say the sides/doors of the dart were perfectly fine, just the clear coat damage on the top/trunk and I was told the hood had some cracking due to possible damage from rocks. Lastly, they would also be replacing some of the moulding on the top of the car as it was starting to peel.

I will look up a maaco and see how much they quote me for an estimate.

How much would you say it too much to pay for having the car repainted at the estimated car value? Also, if it would not be worth it at the prices I am given, is there anything I can do myself to fix the issue?

Post Thanks / Like

Gotta love that inferior Honda paint. That's how most 5 plus year old Hondas look down here in Florida. My buddy bought a new sti a few year ago, the rear roof looked like that after 18 months!

My 2003 Xterra sat outside for 12 years and it never failed.

I'd go with Maaco or Econo and just have a quick respray done to it. No harm no foul.
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DonutTyrant View Post
    Hey everyone thanks for the replies. To answer your questions, I looked up the KBB value for the car and the estimate is about $8,051.

I took the vehicle to a Bruce's Super Body Shop. The man who estimated the price told me it would take 8 days to fix the damage. I dont remember everything he told me, but to summarize... I was told they would be removing the hood, top and rare panels, sanding them down and repainting them entirely. They also said they would have to do it this way in order to be able to give us a lifetime warranty on their paint job. They did say the sides/doors of the dart were perfectly fine, just the clear coat damage on the top/trunk and I was told the hood had some cracking due to possible damage from rocks. Lastly, they would also be replacing some of the moulding on the top of the car as it was starting to peel.

I will look up a maaco and see how much they quote me for an estimate.

How much would you say it too much to pay for having the car repainted at the estimated car value? Also, if it would not be worth it at the prices I am given, is there anything I can do myself to fix the issue?
    Richmond?

Sent from my Z982 using Autogeekonline mobile app

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast