autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: To those without a garage.

I’m so glad we have a double deep, three door garage. I couldn’t handle no garage.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ebg18t View Post
    I’m so glad we have a double deep, three door garage. I couldn’t handle no garage.
    Honestly having a garage that’s not quite big enough to move around comfortably is almost as frustrating as not having one at all, which sounds like such a first world problem. I’d rather just have a carport than a garage that’s too small.

Our garage can fit two small cars, with barely around room around them to maneuver.

Really puts into perspective how large a garage really needs to be in order to be functional.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Finick View Post
    Honestly having a garage that’s not quite big enough to move around comfortably is almost as frustrating as not having one at all, which sounds like such a first world problem. I’d rather just have a carport than a garage that’s too small.

Our garage can fit two small cars, with barely around room around them to maneuver.

Really puts into perspective how large a garage really needs to be in order to be functional.

Why don’t you move 1 of the cars outside while you’re detailing the other 1?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Finick View Post

Ever since I bought my house (2006), I longingly look and envy a house with a garage. Problem is, almost 98% of these garages (attached) have two small a$$ doors that would only fit a small car at best.

Talked to my cousin who is a builder, and he told me the huge (shop sized) two car garage on a spec house is an extra 30k. While a stand-alone at roughly 20x30 can cost roughly double (given you have the land/permits to do so)
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    Why don’t you move 1 of the cars outside while you’re detailing the other 1?
    That’s usually what I do, and it works.

It’s more the inconvenience of it that really just irks me after so many years. I know it’s ridiculous to be annoyed by it, because a lot of people would kill just to have a garage at all, but when an Altima or Toyota Matrix takes up so much space the only way to walk around the front or back is to shuffle around it like a penguin, it just gets old fast.

Forget about any maintenance work being done in the comfort of the garage, or being able to waterless or rinseless wash comfortably. Car either has to be at the very edge of the entrance, putting a small bit outside (defeating the purpose of a garage imo) or it’s so far in that you just can’t move around it.

I recently detailed my dads Buick LaCrosse (no pictures, sorry) and I order for it to be in the garage and the door closed, I had about maybe 6 inches of clearance in the front and back. Understandably a larger vehicle, but if I had to park that in the garage everyday (he doesn’t have one) I’d probably just leave it outside.

So I guess my takeaway is just that, imo I’d rather have a 20x30 carport than a garage that’s just too small. Especially considering my garage isn’t climate controlled.

I don’t want anyone to think I’m being totally ridiculous, fyi. I’m glad I can keep the door open and pull in most of my car to do a basically indoors wash on a hot day. I just yearn for a “real” garage I guess. They just come with a hefty price tag, but most things that are worth it do, I suppose.

7. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    Ever since I bought my house (2006), I longingly look and envy a house with a garage. Problem is, almost 98% of these garages (attached) have two small a$$ doors that would only fit a small car at best.

Talked to my cousin who is a builder, and he told me the huge (shop sized) two car garage on a spec house is an extra 30k. While a stand-alone at roughly 20x30 can cost roughly double (given you have the land/permits to do so)
    I recently helped a friend move, and the house he’s storing his stuff in had a detached garage about that big, and also a huge woodworking shop on the other side.

I spent a ton of time talking to the guy who built it (guy that lived there had the foundation poured and then built the rest himself.) it was the absolute dream to walk around in it. It had to have been big enough to fit a suburban in there and still move around reasonably comfortably.

9. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I told my wife that when we retire in 4 years that we down size the house and upsize the garages. We have a 2 car garage that fits my M4 n her IS 350 but when I have to do work on the cars only one can be in the garage or u can’t move

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12