autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Add "only" hydrophobic property to my paint?

Quote Originally Posted by Insaneoctane View Post
    Thanks for the inputs....
    I noticed the Duragloss aquawax is significantly cheaper per oz. than the opti seal. I would be lying if I didnt admit that helps. The comments about how opti seal can be streaky are a turn off (even though I love Optimum products). Would DAW be a decently compatible product on top of my OSW? I already have a gallon of OSW, and like it, so if I can add hydrophobosity with just a topper, that's great! Is it one of the easier sealants to apply?

PS- which would give better water action, Sonax or Duragloss?
    I have both. AquaWax gives good beads and cost effective. I believe that Sonax wins the beading contest over anything else I’ve ever tried though.

2. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ski2 View Post
    Take a look a Ultima Acrylic Spray Wax--very slick, very hydrophobic and lasts longer than OCW.

Ultima Acrylic Spray Wax
    Longer than OCW? That would be impressive.

Post Thanks / Like

I noticed the Duragloss aquawax is significantly cheaper per oz. than the opti seal. I would be lying if I didnt admit that helps. The comments about how opti seal can be streaky are a turn off (even though I love Optimum products). Would DAW be a decently compatible product on top of my OSW? I already have a gallon of OSW, and like it, so if I can add hydrophobosity with just a topper, that's great! Is it one of the easier sealants to apply?

I've had Opti-Seal streat from time to time, but I was new to applying it. These days, It's no problem at all. Once in a while I'll find a "high spot", which I remove with a microfiber towel.

I've never had it streak as a drying aid. In fact, It's been one of the easiest to use on that role.

You could use Aquawax on top of Car Wax, but they're so similar.

I've never used Polymer Net Shield, but the reviews look fantastic!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JCDetails View Post
    Its only streaky in my experience when used as a drying aid. When used normally I love it.

Are you not getting water beading with Optimum Car Wax?
    Hmmmm. Fair question. I'm initially getting a very slick feeling after I've applied the OCW, but I was looking for a way or product to keep the water action going. I hand wash every 1 or 2 weeks and after about 4 washes, it doesn't feel like it did freshly applied. I figured the base coat application of OCW was good for a least a couple months, but noticing it's not as slick. Maybe using the OCW as a drying agent is the best answer for me (since I have a gallon of it)....just seeing what other folks thoughts are....

Post Thanks / Like

That's is about the longevity you get from it I think. Those regualar spray waxes and QD with a couple of years from when they came out. You get a couple of months longevity at best. Since you have alot of OCW and like it I would apply it every other wash to keep a fresh layer of it. If you like to use it as a drying aid then use it every wash. When your gallon is coming to the end. I would look into a more potent base protection. And find a topper if you like or many toppers that can change the looks a little from the base protection.

What color is your car? And what kind of look from a LSP do you like?

Post Thanks / Like

I've never used the Sonax product, but I have applied DG aquawax over many types of sealants/waxes, and it always played well with them. I'm a big fan of DGAW.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

8. Likes infosponge liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    I've never used the Sonax product, but I have applied DG aquawax over many types of sealants/waxes, and it always played well with them. I'm a big fan of DGAW.
    I washed my car tonight so it looks nice for a few days before supposedly on and off rain for a few weeks. Paint is silver metallic, I went with DGAW as dry aid and put it on heavy. I love the look, car is glossy and the metallic sparkles (PBL Sealant is the LSP). I have a ton of spray toppers, but tonight, I couldn’t be happier having DGAW on their after 5 mins of extra work while drying.

Late night I will probably N-914 waterless or Rinseless my wife’s black Audi. I’ll use the Sonax BSD on hers and come Friday or Saturday I’ll have a firsthand look at the beading of each for the next week or so until they wear off from rain and I’ll be back to my base PBL sealant on each... and then figure out what to try out next!

I love doing this stuff. Glad these threads give me ideas and excitement.

10. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SWETM View Post
    What color is your car? And what kind of look from a LSP do you like?
    It's called Midnight Silver Metallic. It is a dark Grey with multi colored flake (including blue).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Add "only" hydrophobic property to my paint?-img_20180518_155009__01__01-jpg  

12. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I use opti-seal on my suv as a drying aid and have never had an issue w streaking. I love that product and I use it on everything. Windows, wheels,dash,leather, paint, trim, etc. That car is coated w opticoat. Compatible and really works well for me.

I use Gyeon cure as a drying aid on my coupe and that is a super streaky product for me. Only reason I use it is cause I bought it and the coupe is coated w Gyeon. Once the cure runs out I won’t be repurchasing. Matter of fact,I wouldn’t,t repurchase the coating either.

I have polish angel Viking coat lined up next for my weekend car . I started the prep work formthT tonight already.

Back on topic, I say give opti-seal a try. I like that product so much. It’s one of those products that actually delivers as advertised.

Otherwise, maybe try something like hydro. Touchless and easy to apply.
    2005 Nissan 350z (Polish Angel Viking-Coat)/2020 AMG GLC43 (Polish Angel Viking-Coat and Auto Gliss 2.0)/2012 Honda Odyssey TE (Jescar Power Lock)/2020 AMG C43 (CQuartz UK3.0 and Auto Gliss 2.0)

Post Thanks / Like

I’ve also not had issues with Opti Seal streaking when used as a drying aid.

The only hesitation I’d have about using it as a drying aid over Optimum Spray Wax stems from a comment that Ivan had made on their podcast once about removing streaks from OCW by using Opti Seal. Seems to me the solvent component of Opti Seal might be strong enough to strip the OCW you’re trying to protect.

It only just recently came out, but Griot’s has a BOSS Foaming Poly Gloss designed to be used with a foamer that is supposed to be very hydrophobic and anti static. Foam on, rinse off. Just received mine today, I’ll report back once I get a chance to use it.

15. Likes SWETM liked this post
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast