autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Add "only" hydrophobic property to my paint?

Quote Originally Posted by ski2 View Post
    Take a look a Ultima Acrylic Spray Wax--very slick, very hydrophobic and lasts longer than OCW.

Ultima Acrylic Spray Wax
    Definitely a sleeper product. I tried this again recently and was very surprised by the awesome water behavior and gloss.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the inputs. This is what I've decided to do.....I ordered some Optimum opti-seal. I don't presume that Optimum makes the absolute best of every product, but they seem pretty darn good, wide spread, and affordable. I also ordered some Optimum paint prep while I was at it. I figured I might just add some opti-seal initially as my drying agent and see how it feels & works. Eventually, I will use the paint prep and give the opti-seal a real chance to grab on to the clean clear coat. Then I will add some OCW on top and use some combination of OCW and opti-seal as drying agents/boosters. It will take me a LONG time to work thru my gallon of OCW, but I'll probably get a feel for how the combination does or doesn't work.

3. Likes dlc95 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Insaneoctane View Post
    Thanks for all the inputs. This is what I've decided to do.....I ordered some Optimum opti-seal. I don't presume that Optimum makes the absolute best of every product, but they seem pretty darn good, wide spread, and affordable. I also ordered some Optimum paint prep while I was at it. I figured I might just add some opti-seal initially as my drying agent and see how it feels & works. Eventually, I will use the paint prep and give the opti-seal a real chance to grab on to the clean clear coat. Then I will add some OCW on top and use some combination of OCW and opti-seal as drying agents/boosters. It will take me a LONG time to work thru my gallon of OCW, but I'll probably get a feel for how the combination does or doesn't work.
    The amounts of products/opinions on here are mind boggling.

But, there is certainly nothing wrong with Optimum products. They make some great stuff.

Like our exalted leader Mike Phillips always says: "Find something you like, and use it often".
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

Are you saying it will compromise/diminish my wax coating if I use opti-seal as a drying aide?
    That I don't know.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RippyD View Post
    So let me get this straight: I put OCW on my car, and then follow up with Opti-seal. I the Opti-seal will lift the OCW, float it to the surface, then Opti-seal will bond to the paint and then OCW will settle on top of the Opti-seal.

I have to believe that Opti-seal either sits on top of OCW, in which case it would only have the longevity of OCW, or it dissolves and effectively removes the OCW. I don't see a problem with this since Opti-seal has better longevity. Believing these magically work together seems like a stretch.

My skeptical opinion is that if you're going to use Opti-seal as a drying aid there's little point to also using OCW.

btw, I had no idea that opti-seal was so versatile. Will have to try it in the interior. Wonder how it compares to Ultima Interior Guard...
    Check out the second post.

Than also mentioned it in a podcast.

Does it work? I have no way of knowing.

Opti seal over wax ? - Ask the Optimum Experts - Optimum Forum

Post Thanks / Like

Here is something else to consider. Yvan has mentioned that opti-seal will remove a previous layer of opti-seal.

8. Likes dlc95 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hmmmm. Fair question. I'm initially getting a very slick feeling after I've applied the OCW, but I was looking for a way or product to keep the water action going. I hand wash every 1 or 2 weeks and after about 4 washes, it doesn't feel like it did freshly applied. I figured the base coat application of OCW was good for a least a couple months, but noticing it's not as slick. Maybe using the OCW as a drying agent is the best answer for me (since I have a gallon of it)....just seeing what other folks thoughts are....
    OCW contains some Carnauba wax. Around 5% if memory serves. Carnauba wax gives a lot of gloss and depth to the paint, but it also allows contaminants to bind with it easilly compared to a sealant or coating. So that loss of slightness probably comes from road film or other contaminants on the surface.

Optimum says 5 months durability on OCW but as time goes by, I am getting more and more skeptic about durability claims from the manufacturers. Every real world test I see show all the product failling way sooner than advertized and those tests are done on scrap hoods sitting in a backyard. Imagine if they were actually on the road facing wind and water being slashed on them and all that.

So it is very possible OCW is failing after a month. It is what Reloads seems to do even though it is supposed to be a 6 months product. Waxes in general are not resilient at all, but OCW only conains a little bit. It pretty much a sealant with a bit of wax in it. Maybe what you are feeling is the wax being gone and the sealant itself may not be very slick.

But here is my question... if you are gonna re-apply a product, why not re-apply the same one? So instead of putting OCW on once a month and topping it with what ever in between, why not use OCW everytime you wash the car? It is a good product, I see no reason not to use it every time. I have used it as a drying aid and it does a very good job. I do the washes like Yvan shows in the video now (except I use a microfiber mitt or towel instead of a sponge).

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Calendyr View Post

But here is my question... if you are gonna re-apply a product, why not re-apply the same one? So instead of putting OCW on once a month and topping it with what ever in between, why not use OCW everytime you wash the car? It is a good product, I see no reason not to use it every time. I have used it as a drying aid and it does a very good job. I do the washes like Yvan shows in the video now (except I use a microfiber mitt or towel instead of a sponge).
    I am not against that advice . .. I will likely strip the OCW and get an opti-seal basecoat. I think from what I've read that the opti-seal is more durable than the OCW and if it's failing earlier than desired, it would be nice to have a little extra protection under my OCW. I have the gallon of OCW to work through so using as a drying aid will boost it each wash. I suspect that I tend to over apply it because I am buffing the car dry a little more than I prefer (hence looking for an alternative like opti-seal) ....

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know why people are arguing about which car wax is the best. They are all good and for example I use some butter wet wax that costs only $10 on Amazon. The thing is you need to look out for your car and what you use for it is not that important. I deal with selling houses and people just want to see pretty house, it is the same with the car. They get blinded by how pretty everything is setup that they forget to ask about important stuff. I have a lot of houses to flip and it is really easy because people are not thinking about important issues.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234