autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Add "only" hydrophobic property to my paint?

Quote Originally Posted by Insaneoctane View Post
    I am currently running with Optimum Synthetic Spray Wax on my new car. The front end is protected with Suntek Ultra. After reading ad nauseam about ceramic coatings and their reload products, I settled for my old school OSW. My question for the forum is are there good options for adding just hydrophobic action? Ideally on top of my OSW... I noticed that all the ceramic coatings tend to lose their hydrophobic qualities first and then people add that back via some product. I just want more hydrophobic action only. I recently tried using my OSW as a drying agent while I was drying it and felt like I was buffing more than I prefer and worry drying with too much effort will give me swirls... Any ideas?
    Not sure I'm understanding the problem: you want something water repellent that is easier to apply than a spray wax? I think one of the hydro products is your best option. Spray on and hose or pressure wash off. Or as others have said, Optiseat. Ultima Paint Guard Plus is also a wipe-on, walk away product, so maybe consider that as well.

You're not likely to introduce swirls in your car and towels are clean. Maybe with very soft paint and crappy towels. Otherwise I'd keep using Opt Spray Wax and not worry about it.
    2006 LR3 White // 2014 Boxster Agate Gray // 2012 Sentra Aspen White
    Sealant test resultsxxxxxDilution ratio chartxxxxxWheel cleaner info

2. Likes dlc95 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The reason I asked about your color on your car. Is that for some reason Sonax Polymer Net Shield and Brilliant Shine Detailer looks awesome on white paints. As does Gyeon Wet Coat for me. While I have a silver metallic car those gets some brightening effect on this paint. And I like the more darkening effect like some LSP has.

I'm not so familiar with the most common LSP on AGO. But one I you would be satisfied with and it's a little pricey is Polish Angel High Gloss. It gets you a deep glow and bring out the metallic flakes in an awesome way. You have many coating lite options that has come out now. McKees 10min sealant and Gyeon CanCoat and Blackfire Sio2 sealant and Booster are some of them. The use of sio2 products on the gray scale paints with metallic is they stand out great. That's a hard color to get to pop in looks. And the big difference is to have a great finishing polish done so you have as a clear finish as possible before applying a LSP.

Look into the show and shine part of the forum. And look around on the cars shown with the same kind of color that you have and what they use. See if something interesting you there. You don't see the full effect from LSP on photos but it's the next best thing.

Then you have the budget consider to mix in. Some goes for the value and see LSP as almost all looks the same. And some like that little extra looks you can get with a certain LSP. This is not the same as the most expensive looks the best. But IMO LSP has different looks from them.

And when talking about opti-seal it's goes a long way from very little amount of product. So price comparison and oz for oz is not a fair match. As a 8oz bottle would last you as long as a OCW standard bottle and maybe longer.

One product that is very like opti-seal as a WOWA product and can be used as a drying aid. Ultima paint guard plus and when they did release the new formula it's water based know too and can be used as a drying aid. This I think you would also like if you like the looks of carnuaba warm looks. And they have a waterless wash that gives you a more cost effective drying aid too.

Some thoughts from me and those is very personal from person to person to what you like.

/Tony

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SWETM View Post

One product that is very like opti-seal as a WOWA product and can be used as a drying aid. Ultima paint guard plus and when they did release the new formula it's water based know too and can be used as a drying aid. This I think you would also like if you like the looks of carnuaba warm looks. And they have a waterless wash that gives you a more cost effective drying aid too.

/Tony
    How is the durability of Ultima Paint Guard+ when applied correctly?? I have a bottle to try, but haven't gotten around to using it yet.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by oneheadlite View Post
    I’ve also not had issues with Opti Seal streaking when used as a drying aid.

The only hesitation I’d have about using it as a drying aid over Optimum Spray Wax stems from a comment that Ivan had made on their podcast once about removing streaks from OCW by using Opti Seal. Seems to me the solvent component of Opti Seal might be strong enough to strip the OCW you’re trying to protect.

It only just recently came out, but Griot’s has a BOSS Foaming Poly Gloss designed to be used with a foamer that is supposed to be very hydrophobic and anti static. Foam on, rinse off. Just received mine today, I’ll report back once I get a chance to use it.
    Actually, according to Ivan - Opti-Seal will find It's was under the wax. The solvent will suspend the wax, and after it flashes away the wax will be sitting on top of the polymer. Or something to that effect.

Post Thanks / Like

When you do your 1-2 week wash, use Mckee's Si02 Auto Wash to add gloss, slickness and hydrophobic properties back to the surface. No need to take additional steps with extra products.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

7. Likes KBsToy liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dlc95 View Post
    Actually, according to Ivan - Opti-Seal will find It's was under the wax. The solvent will suspend the wax, and after it flashes away the wax will be sitting on top of the polymer. Or something to that effect.
    Are you saying it will compromise/diminish my wax coating if I use opti-seal as a drying aide?

Post Thanks / Like

No they are supposed to be synergistic meaning they work together. Just according to them and their chemical/polymer make up one will sink to the bottom

It should not effect anything other than adding additional layer of protection. Not the longest lived protection. But still more

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ski2 View Post
    How is the durability of Ultima Paint Guard+ when applied correctly?? I have a bottle to try, but haven't gotten around to using it yet.
    I got about 6 months longevity with 2 coats over the summer months. It's the old formula I have. But would think that the new is about the same. The old formula is very sensitive to water and dew. Think the new formula is better at that and can be used as a drying aid too. So a new coat of Ultima PGP would be very easy to apply if you would feel to it.

11. Thanks ski2 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

So let me get this straight: I put OCW on my car, and then follow up with Opti-seal. I the Opti-seal will lift the OCW, float it to the surface, then Opti-seal will bond to the paint and then OCW will settle on top of the Opti-seal.

I have to believe that Opti-seal either sits on top of OCW, in which case it would only have the longevity of OCW, or it dissolves and effectively removes the OCW. I don't see a problem with this since Opti-seal has better longevity. Believing these magically work together seems like a stretch.

My skeptical opinion is that if you're going to use Opti-seal as a drying aid there's little point to also using OCW.

btw, I had no idea that opti-seal was so versatile. Will have to try it in the interior. Wonder how it compares to Ultima Interior Guard...
    2006 LR3 White // 2014 Boxster Agate Gray // 2012 Sentra Aspen White
    Sealant test resultsxxxxxDilution ratio chartxxxxxWheel cleaner info

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Insaneoctane View Post
    I am currently running with Optimum Synthetic Spray Wax on my new car. The front end is protected with Suntek Ultra. After reading ad nauseam about ceramic coatings and their reload products, I settled for my old school OSW. My question for the forum is are there good options for adding just hydrophobic action? Ideally on top of my OSW... I noticed that all the ceramic coatings tend to lose their hydrophobic qualities first and then people add that back via some product. I just want more hydrophobic action only. I recently tried using my OSW as a drying agent while I was drying it and felt like I was buffing more than I prefer and worry drying with too much effort will give me swirls... Any ideas?
    IMO give the car a quick polish and simply coat it. Gyeon Syncro and /thread. It's going to be more hydrophobic than any of the spray on stuff you'll be trying in the mean time and it lasts quite a while. You'll also have enough of their Skin leftover to redo your car in full another time too.

If you want something stupid easy and 95% the same in terms of shedding water like a duck, go with Gyeon CanCoat. I've put videos of both up here under the Gyeon forum/threads.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast