autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: HD Speed Removal...

Yesterday I removed it right away then others said I should have left it on longer. Leaving it on longer today in no way made it easier to remove.

Post Thanks / Like

The results are good on this 11 year old Honda paint.

Just having a hard time with the amount of product being used.

HD Speed Removal...-img_0974-jpg

Post Thanks / Like

I'm wondering if there may be some issues with a recent batch of this product? Another person mentioned issues with Speed dusting, which I've never experienced either. It's always been one of the easiest products I've worked with.

Post Thanks / Like

If you think when you are polishing you get a little to much of polish on there. Try to do an extra pass and see if the Speed clears up a bit.

Some Honda paints can be finicky to polish. They are very sensitive to heat. So you can step down the polisher speed a notch and use the same arm movement. Closed cells foam pads some likes on this kind of paint and on the stiffer side of build. You can also increase the armspeed and do an extra or two passes.

Those have used Speed is there any telling in which it's clears up when the polish in it has gotten it's working time?

It can that Speed don't suits the paint you are polishing. But try on another car before you dismiss it. With another kind of paint.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JCDetails View Post
    The only reason speed would be hard to remove would be using too much product, point blank period.

Foam pads need no priming, regardless of product. You should only be priming MF or wool pads. How many pads did you use over the whole car?

Also, there's no reason to let it sit for almost an hour prior to removing. You don't gain anything from it. I'd be willing to bet that amount of time plus the humidity made it harder to take off.
    I live in Florida, one of the most humid places in the US. Not too mention their is a swamp out my back yard. I use Speed in the middle of the summer in 90+ degrees, 110 in my garage, Speed wipes off like a dream. As it's an AIO and has a sealant in it their is much to be gained by letting it cure or dry prior to removing it. It gives the sealant time to adhere to the paint which extends the protection. I have all the top AIO's sold on AG and I let all of them dry prior to removal. If I was going to wipe on and wipe off I'd use a dedicated polish.
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

6. Likes Finick, PaulMys, MikeC78 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by briarpatch View Post
    I'm wondering if there may be some issues with a recent batch of this product? Another person mentioned issues with Speed dusting, which I've never experienced either. It's always been one of the easiest products I've worked with.
    Double post because I'm about ready to crush this Verizon modem with my hand. LOl
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by briarpatch View Post
    I am almost thinking the same thing. If this is the case, that would certainly turn me off to the product as a first time user.

That said, and as the other guys have already posted, Speed goes on/works/comes off like a dream.

Maybe contact 3D and tell them of your troubles. I called them a few years back with some questions, and they were very helpful.

Post Thanks / Like

I just watched the HD Speed video and he used more product than I did and it just wiped right off, mine stuck to the paint like glue.
    May have to give them a call.

10. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Audi Rick View Post
    I just watched the HD Speed video and he used more product than I did and it just wiped right off, mine stuck to the paint like glue.
    May have to give them a call.
    Yeah, that's not characteristic of Speed in any way.

I'd give them a ring, explain your problems, and that everyone you asked had the opposite experience.

I'll bet they will work with you to correct this. Like I said, when I called their CS, they were great.

12. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Audi Rick View Post

I prime the pad like I would any polish to start with, then four dime sized there after.

Wipe off with a Gold Plush Jr.

Four passes in about a 2x2 section.

I used this product the same as any AIO I would use.

Hi Rick,

I just sent you an e-mail with my suggestions, one thing for sure, in most situations, working a 2 foot by 2 foot area is too large for a simple 8mm free spinning polisher. In my classes I place a 16" by 16" Gold Plush Jr. microfiber towel onto a panel and show the class that is how large of an area you buff with these types of tools when removing swirls and scratches.

I would say 3D HD Speed is Bubba Proof, so let's work through this until we get it so it's Simple Simon to wipe-off.

While I don't use the KBM method to prime foam pads any longer, I use the MPM method, that's the Mike Phillips Method and all I do is squirt some product onto the face of the pad like this,

And then place the pad against the paint and smoosh it around. (without the polisher turned on). Next I turn the polisher over and place 3 dime sized drops onto the pad and then put the pad against the paint and start buffing.

Start by spreading the product out over the surface to be buffed - mapping the area out in your mind's eye (about the size of a 16" x 16" mf towel). Then I turn the speed up to the highest speed setting and apply about 5-10 pounds of downward pressure WHILE STILL maintaining great pad rotation.

Next start making overlapping passes. In most cases, on most paint I make 7-8 section passes. Turn the polisher off. Allow the wax to dry and then wipe off.

I've NEVER had Speed wipe-off hard or difficult.

14. Thanks VitreousHumor thanked for this post
    Likes VitreousHumor liked this post
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast