autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A new project

Post Thanks / Like

Re: A new project

I would call you crazy if you did it any other way than the exact way you want to do it.

Cars can bring back memories, i would love to have a stock 66 chevelle, its just not in the budget.

I wouldn't care if people called a papaw ride if its how you want it.

Its hard to find a car in that good of shape, great find.

2. Thanks mattmann thanked for this post
    Likes mattmann liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks strong. It was an amazing find for me and a smoking deal. I’ve got some money left in the budget for some wheels and exhaust but again, I HATE messing with this because it’s so cherry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Well the more I read and research, the more this is scaring me. It seems to be a single stage and metallic A new project.
    From reading Mike’s article online, it looks like best I can do is use #7 glaze and that’s it? Is this correct??

Post Thanks / Like

I'd keep it stock. It's really sweet and a low mileage example!

No, you can polish/compound/correct single stage paint. I'd hit it with some 7 and do that first to get it ready for any additional work that you will do. From the looks of it, it should really turn out well!!!

Keep us posted!
    Scott Harle
    Autodermatology
    #autodermatology

6. Thanks mattmann thanked for this post
    Likes mattmann, LEDetailing liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sizzle Chest View Post
    I'd keep it stock. It's really sweet and a low mileage example!

No, you can polish/compound/correct single stage paint. I'd hit it with some 7 and do that first to get it ready for any additional work that you will do. From the looks of it, it should really turn out well!!!

Keep us posted!
    Thanks sizzle. It’s a dark grey metallic and I saw where mike was saying on metallic especially grey ones, you can only glaze and basically hope for the best?? So here is what I’m planning on doing and please anyone and everyone let me know your thoughts.....
    1) waterless wash
    2) clay bar
    3) #7 glaze
    4) use my griots garage da on it with maybe a one step?
    5) thick coat of paste wax

Should this work on this paint? Thanks!!

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats on the old Mustang. Reminds me of my old 89 5.0 LX (sadly I don't have this car anymore).

With that said, as I browse the adverts looking for old Fox Body's, the many I find are all cut-up, with huge air-damn hoods, and big drag racing tires, and roll cages, etc... Very few are sleek, stock cruising machines. Thus my opinion, since this is an awesome find you've stumbled upon, is to keep it stock. If you replace something (i.e. wheels, keep the stock ones...) That's just my personal preference. Like I said, when I do my searches, and see them turned into dragsters, or poor attempts to make them look like dragsters, I start thinking of $$$$ to make it back to stock. Given the age of the motor and looking fairly original, I wouldn't do turbo's, superchargers, or NOS. The strain would be to far great without having to make serious modifications to engine, body, suspension and transmission. There are plenty of S197's out there that can be modded. Ok, enough with my opinion...

Now, onto the vehicle... Great find!!! I'm envious. Secondly, you have single stage paint. No worries, SS paint is probably the most rewarding to restore... Mainly because you can restore it... Unlike clear-coat paint, once the cc is gone, there isn't much you can do, except repaint. But Single Stage will oxidize, look dull, but with hard-work, patients and determination, you can make it pop again.

Read Mike's article on how to restore single stage paint:
    https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/2009-to-2017-how-to-articles-by-mike-phillips/25304-secret-removing-oxidation-restoring-show-car-finish-antique-single-stage-paints.html

Lastly, if this isn't a daily driver (hoping it isn't...), will allow you take your time and tackle one small section at a time. Don't feel rushed, and don't try to do everything in one weekend...

Sounds like an awesome project! Wish I was closer, I'd help out! Please take good before & after photos! Good luck!

9. Thanks mattmann thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LSNAutoDetailing View Post
    Congrats on the old Mustang. Reminds me of my old 89 5.0 LX (sadly I don't have this car anymore).

With that said, as I browse the adverts looking for old Fox Body's, the many I find are all cut-up, with huge air-damn hoods, and big drag racing tires, and roll cages, etc... Very few are sleek, stock cruising machines. Thus my opinion, since this is an awesome find you've stumbled upon, is to keep it stock. If you replace something (i.e. wheels, keep the stock ones...) That's just my personal preference. Like I said, when I do my searches, and see them turned into dragsters, or poor attempts to make them look like dragsters, I start thinking of $$$$ to make it back to stock. Given the age of the motor and looking fairly original, I wouldn't do turbo's, superchargers, or NOS. The strain would be to far great without having to make serious modifications to engine, body, suspension and transmission. There are plenty of S197's out there that can be modded. Ok, enough with my opinion...

Now, onto the vehicle... Great find!!! I'm envious. Secondly, you have single stage paint. No worries, SS paint is probably the most rewarding to restore... Mainly because you can restore it... Unlike clear-coat paint, once the cc is gone, there isn't much you can do, except repaint. But Single Stage will oxidize, look dull, but with hard-work, patients and determination, you can make it pop again.

Read Mike's article on how to restore single stage paint:
    https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/2009-to-2017-how-to-articles-by-mike-phillips/25304-secret-removing-oxidation-restoring-show-car-finish-antique-single-stage-paints.html

Lastly, if this isn't a daily driver (hoping it isn't...), will allow you take your time and tackle one small section at a time. Don't feel rushed, and don't try to do everything in one weekend...

Sounds like an awesome project! Wish I was closer, I'd help out! Please take good before & after photos! Good luck!
    Thanks for all the info man. I feel ya on the not finding stock ones anymore. They are all cut up and modified now and most of them do not have the 5.0 in them anymore. I think this will become a cruiser/show car. I plan on taking plenty of pictures and keeping everyone here updated with my progress. Should take possession of it in two weeks. On top of all that, I would never feel comfortable buying one that is modified that much anyways. I looked at several of them and without knowing the history it made me too nervous. This one is seriously 95% and just needs a little bit of work to make it close to 99. Of course that is my opinion. I read his article on correcting single stage paint but in that article he specifically says that gray metallic colors are nearly impossible to get the oxidization out of. Is that everyone else’s experience also?

Post Thanks / Like

Single stage metallic is difficult to correct because the metal flake isn’t under clear coat. The flake can get slightly burned, so you never want to wet sand, however, if your careful and use a DA and some polish, you should be fine. Always do a test spot in an inconspicuous place first.

This was was a 1948 Jeepster with single stage with metal flake that we polished at Auto Geek. (Photo by Mike Phillips).

12. Thanks mattmann thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LSNAutoDetailing View Post
    Single stage metallic is difficult to correct because the metal flake isn’t under clear coat. The flake can get slightly burned, so you never want to wet sand, however, if your careful and use a DA and some polish, you should be fine. Always do a test spot in an inconspicuous place first.

This was was a 1948 Jeepster with single stage with metal flake that we polished at Auto Geek. (Photo by Mike Phillips).

Thanks man. Now when you say “polish” would an AIO work like HD SPEED or would I need to do like a #7 over night soak, then some meguiars ultimate compound and then meguiars polish?? Thanks in advance and sorry for all the questions!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mattmann View Post
    Thanks man. Now when you say “polish” would an AIO work like HD SPEED or would I need to do like a #7 over night soak, then some meguiars ultimate compound and then meguiars polish?? Thanks in advance and sorry for all the questions!
    Hi Matt, read Mike’s article.
    https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum...ge-paints.html

Yes, gorge the paint with #7, it’s dry and oxidized. #7 has oils that will gorge the paint.

Review these posts:

Newbie single stage paint restoration

In-Progress: 1986 Porsche 951 (Guards Red)

15. Likes LEDetailing liked this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast