autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Meguiars Ultimate Polish - cloudy / hazy: user error?

Thanks a lot everyone for providing helpful guidance and insights...

I tried again with a foam pad and results were better, yet not perfect. Main reason is that I do get some awful, sticky residues from Ultimate Polish that are difficult to remove causing again scratches...

I tried removal of the residue with IPA as well as Meguiars Quik Detailer... it works ok, but still, not perfect... Sometimes I get small areas where the UP is really "dried on" and I initially thought I actually burnt through the clear... after lots of wiping I can get rid of it, leaving fine scratches around it. (fyi - using the Meguiars Supreme Shine Microfibre Towels)

I plan to redo the whole exercise with M205 instead of Ultimate Polish and see if that is better...
    Another typical problem is around trim lines / plastic where residue sits and once I try to remove, I get fine scratches again... will keep you posted.

Post Thanks / Like

Stay away from any Megs polish if you’re dealing with soft paint. They don’t finish well, unless your Kevin Brown. Pick up Sonax EX 04/06 or Perfect Finish, use with a foam polishing pad and you’ll be good to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app
    '03 Corvette Z06

3. Likes The Guz, Desertnate liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I also was not blown away by UP, had high hopes. Perhaps the soft paint or incorrect pad is the cause

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by heinzbush View Post
    Thanks a lot everyone for providing helpful guidance and insights...

I tried again with a foam pad and results were better, yet not perfect. Main reason is that I do get some awful, sticky residues from Ultimate Polish that are difficult to remove causing again scratches...

I tried removal of the residue with IPA as well as Meguiars Quik Detailer... it works ok, but still, not perfect... Sometimes I get small areas where the UP is really "dried on" and I initially thought I actually burnt through the clear... after lots of wiping I can get rid of it, leaving fine scratches around it. (fyi - using the Meguiars Supreme Shine Microfibre Towels)

I plan to redo the whole exercise with M205 instead of Ultimate Polish and see if that is better...
    Another typical problem is around trim lines / plastic where residue sits and once I try to remove, I get fine scratches again... will keep you posted.
    Give this a good read.

Tips to acheive a flawless finish with M205 and a DA polisher

Works for Ultimate Polish, M205, or most non diminishing abrasive polishes.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

sorry - what should I read?

Post Thanks / Like

Ultimate polish is very forgiving and easy to use. A great product. So let's look at what might be the issue:

1. Make sure not to overwork the product until it is dry. If you do, you will damage the paint instead of restoring it. Always try to work on cool panels, out of the sun unless you are very experienced to avoir product drying on you. How long are you using the product before you stop and wipe off?

2. As others have mentionned, microfiber is agressive. It's great for cutting, not so much for polishing. So even if it says polishing pad, it's on the heaviest side of polishing pads, close to a foam cutting disk. Try to go with a light or medium foam polishing pad instead. Colors vary from one manufacturers to the other but with Buff&Shine that would be light green or white pads. Can't remember for Lake Country.

3. Maybe you are not removing all the product when you wipe it and it's actually product you are seeing not pain haze. Have you tried either washing the panel or wiping with a solvent to remove all the polishing oils and polish residue? This is unlikelly with UP, but I would still give it a try.

Post Thanks / Like

Meguiars Ultimate Polish - cloudy / hazy: user error?

Replace Ultimate Polish with Meguiars M205.
    Replace those microfiber finishing pads with Lake Country Flat Foam Polishing Pads [the White ones].
    Mark your backing plate.
    Turn your polisher to speed 4.5

Come back and give us an update on your results.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Calendyr View Post
    Ultimate polish is very forgiving and easy to use. A great product. So let's look at what might be the issue:

1. Make sure not to overwork the product until it is dry. If you do, you will damage the paint instead of restoring it. Always try to work on cool panels, out of the sun unless you are very experienced to avoir product drying on you. How long are you using the product before you stop and wipe off?

2. As others have mentionned, microfiber is agressive. It's great for cutting, not so much for polishing. So even if it says polishing pad, it's on the heaviest side of polishing pads, close to a foam cutting disk. Try to go with a light or medium foam polishing pad instead. Colors vary from one manufacturers to the other but with Buff&Shine that would be light green or white pads. Can't remember for Lake Country.

3. Maybe you are not removing all the product when you wipe it and it's actually product you are seeing not pain haze. Have you tried either washing the panel or wiping with a solvent to remove all the polishing oils and polish residue? This is unlikelly with UP, but I would still give it a try.

1. work in shade... 2-3 passes... if at all, not working the product enough I assume

2. already switched to foam

3. yes... and as stated, by removing it, adding fine scratches as there are really sticky spots where UP does not want to get off...

...this forum is full of posts from users having issues removing UP... I guess it works fine on some paints, and not good on others (maybe the soft ones like mine)

as stated, will switch to M205 with foam pad... if that's still not good, will switch to something like HD Speed...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by heinzbush View Post
    1. work in shade... 2-3 passes... if at all, not working the product enough I assume

2. already switched to foam

3. yes... and as stated, by removing it, adding fine scratches as there are really sticky spots where UP does not want to get off...

...this forum is full of posts from users having issues removing UP... I guess it works fine on some paints, and not good on others (maybe the soft ones like mine)

as stated, will switch to M205 with foam pad... if that's still not good, will switch to something like HD Speed...
    Maybe HD Polish +.

Speed is a cleaner wax.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dlc95 View Post

Speed is a cleaner wax.
    Which makes it probably a good thing for him to try.
    I Would suggest some Blackfire AIO. Easy to apply, easy to remove, plays well with plastic, cuts well, the sealant lasts, can be topped with a WOWA for a longer lasting finish. There’s a reason Phillips uses one of these AIO’s on his daily driver even though he has the skills to easily polish and seal.

Two passes every 3-6 months (if you top it) and your car will look great.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast