autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Meguiars Ultimate Polish - cloudy / hazy: user error?

Hi All,

I‘m an avid reader of this forum and also read the existing posts where some people had issues with Meguiars Ultimate Polish.

I‘m still „beginner“ and started using my DA Polisher with Meg4‘s UP... unfortunately, the results were not good... I got a lot of cloudy / hazy paint and I am not sure if its leftover polish that does not easily wipe off, or if there were really fine scratches.
    I could remove the haziness by using more product on a hand applicator and polishing by hand, then quickly wiping it off.

Few days later I thought I give it another shot and record it... (un)fortunately, this time, there was almost no cloudy/hazy paint... there was still some, but it was too fine to capture with a camera and I was a bit under time pressure to play with lighting to really capture it.

Nonetheless: here is the video of what I‘m doing! I would appreciate some feedback on user errors, e.g. am I using too much product, am I going to fast, is the area I work in too big, etc etc.

Thanks

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Meguiars Ultimate Polish - cloudy / hazy: user error?

I can’t help because I’m also new to detailing, but I noticed you did three passes horizontally. I thought a crosshatch pattern was recommended. So two horizontal passes and one vertical pass, or two vertical passes and one horizontal pass?

Post Thanks / Like

Try using it with a foam pad. Microfiber can haze paint.

4. Likes dlc95, derass, Goonie75, dwaleke, TTQ B4U liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

As guz mentioned a polishing foam pad would be a good choice to finish the paint with. Is that a mf cutting pad? Maybe a little slower armspeed 1"/second as a guideline. The polish should be clearing up a little. Then it's useally easier to wipe off the polish residue. Seems like it's a porsche you polish. They can be on a very soft side of hardness of the clearcoat. Which gets easier to leave micro marring if haveing a to of aggressive combo.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SWETM View Post
    As guz mentioned a polishing foam pad would be a good choice to finish the paint with. Is that a mf cutting pad? Maybe a little slower armspeed 1"/second as a guideline. The polish should be clearing up a little. Then it's useally easier to wipe off the polish residue. Seems like it's a porsche you polish. They can be on a very soft side of hardness of the clearcoat. Which gets easier to leave micro marring if haveing a to of aggressive combo.
    This pretty much covers exactly what I was going to say.

Dan Tran
    High Quality Car Detailing at the Comfort of Your Own Home

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks a ton for the input! Few remarks:

- yes its a Porsche 993
    - I used a Meguiars Microfibre Finishing Pad which I thought is the perfect match for UP... I also have a Chemical Guys white foam hex pad which I could try.. but my plan was to use this one for the final application of liquid wax

Understood that I should go a bit slower!

However, what exactly do you mean by saying „polish should be clearing up a little“? you mean I stopped too early? I read in other posts that Ultimate Polish should be removed while its „still wet“ and not polish until its dry...

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    ^^ this. MF is for compounding and heavier cutting. Polish is for polishing and would best be served by a foam polishing or perhaps light cutting pad.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

9. Likes Goonie75 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    This is it.

Looks like you were using the finishing microfiber. On some cars, that pad works great with Ultimate Polish, but apparently not this one.

11. Likes derass liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by heinzbush View Post
    Thanks a ton for the input! Few remarks:

- yes its a Porsche 993
    - I used a Meguiars Microfibre Finishing Pad which I thought is the perfect match for UP... I also have a Chemical Guys white foam hex pad which I could try.. but my plan was to use this one for the final application of liquid wax

Understood that I should go a bit slower!

However, what exactly do you mean by saying „polish should be clearing up a little“? you mean I stopped too early? I read in other posts that Ultimate Polish should be removed while its „still wet“ and not polish until its dry...

Thanks!
    I can't get the video to play at work, but here are my thoughts in addition to the advice already given. I've used UP for several years on very soft Toyota paint, which may be a similar situation to your Porsche.

- You mention having "a Chemical Guys" pad. You will need several pads. On a small car I use 3~4 and rotate them to keep the pads for getting too hot and getting too saturated.
    - I'm not familiar with the hex pads, but a white Lake Country Flat or Thin Pro polishing pad with UP has always worked very well for me on soft paint.
    - Look up Mike Phillips instructions on how to clean your pads, "on the fly". This will also help with the pads getting too saturated with product.
    - On soft Toyota Paint I typicaly will make 4~5 passes. I work in a cross-hatch patter, so going across the area vertically is one pass and going over it horizontally is another, etc.

UP has served me well on soft paint from Toyota and Subaru. It leaves a decent shine and has a long working time which makes it a great polish to learn the art of DA polishing.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

The Chemical Guys Hex Logic pads were once made by Buff and Shine. Not sure if they still are.

It's what I started with about 4 years ago and still have some. The white pad is for polishing. That's the one that could work with the Ultimate Polish for you. For final wax application, you will want [from Hex Logic line] the black or the red pad.

Several pad choices available. Many great options. You could even use Meguiar's foam pads (yellow for polishing, black for wax) to keep it "in the family."

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast