autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Layering sealant

Hobbyist here. I cant say if your second Klasse penetrated through the first coat residues. As I mentioned though, you should have even coverage regardless. I’ve never used Klasse but I’ve used many others and I don’t believe in layering the same thing more than twice, because two times gets even coverage.

Anything more, and it’s anyone’s guess as to whether your helping, hindering or just not doing anything to the existing LSP.

Collinite can be topped on most anything and should change the look a bit. You can apply that anytime after how many layers of Klasse u decided on have cured (10 hours after the last coat was buffed off, I believe is what u said before).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by E93to View Post
    So should I apply another coat of Klasse? I was going to apply Collinite 845 this weekend after the first wash, but should I apply Klasse instead, and then apply Klasse next weekend?
    Is this mrq?

Post Thanks / Like

I doubt the second layer is doing anything at all except filling in spots that were missed or laid too thinly. The product bonds to the paint. Once you've covered all the paint with product, I doubt you're doing anything other than making yourself feel good by applying additional coats.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by acuRAS82 View Post
    Is this mrq?
    Yeah... I happen to have 2 accounts. E93to is my original account but somehow tapatalk randomly logged me out and logged me back in with an old account I was not aware of. I cannot log in with E93to on tapatalk for some reason. So I just use the old account on tapatalk.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by acuRAS82 View Post
    Hobbyist here. I cant say if your second Klasse penetrated through the first coat residues. As I mentioned though, you should have even coverage regardless. I’ve never used Klasse but I’ve used many others and I don’t believe in layering the same thing more than twice, because two times gets even coverage.

Anything more, and it’s anyone’s guess as to whether your helping, hindering or just not doing anything to the existing LSP.

Collinite can be topped on most anything and should change the look a bit. You can apply that anytime after how many layers of Klasse u decided on have cured (10 hours after the last coat was buffed off, I believe is what u said before).
    Thanks for your reply. I really appreciate it

Post Thanks / Like

No problem! I’m happy if you found anything I’ve said useful.

Post Thanks / Like

Long story short- you're fine. The second application ensured that you got even and complete coverage. Probably wasn't necessary but certainly didn't hurt anything. You can go ahead and top with 845 when you're ready.

Post Thanks / Like

Layering sealant

Does layering add more gloss and protection?

I know this has been discussed a lot here and there, but I only skimmed through the threads. So I wouldn't know definitive answer. Any product experts' inputs would be appreciated

Post Thanks / Like

It’s an open topic that causes much debate. It’s hard to say that additional gloss (usually subjective) or protection (impossible to see, hard to track) are provided by additional layers.

It’s doubtful that layering sealants does any true layering since they bond to paint.

Carnauba waxes may be able to layer somewhat since they lie on top, rather than bonding.

Post Thanks / Like

Since when has it been a hard fast rule that sealants will only bond to the paint and not to themselves? Sealant bonds to glass, chrome, plastic trim too. I am sure that some of them do bond to themselves and some do not.

The best you can hope for when layering is that you are providing a more complete coverage while hoping that you are building the thickness of the sealant film. Like does remove like, but that is not a hard fast rule either. Can't just assume that. Putting fresh latex paint on cured latex paint does not remove the first layer of latex paint for example.

If the paint looks different after a second layer of same sealant then you must have changed the optical properties in some way. I've assumed that that change must be in the thickness of the sealant build.

11. Likes SWETM liked this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast