autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

New Car ... Angry....Help!!!!!

Bought a new Honda.... Obsidian Blue. A few days after I got it I noticed a number of water spots as well as about 50 tiny spots on the trunk roof and hood. I am not sure what they are, more water spots? tree sap? I tried getting the spots and water spots out using compound, polish without success. I took it back to the dealer and his detailer is working on it today. Another tough thing is the spots aren't as easy to see in the direct sunlight as it is under fluorescent lights so the dealer probably thinks I'm difficult. I don't mind swirls or light scratches as I can handle those. But to get a new car with all these tiny marks that might make the paint look worse in a year kills me. Not only to look at but the fact that I was screwed on a new car with all the money I spent. I'm fuming. The car has 90 miles on it and the salesman said if I want another car it would cost me a few thousand dollars. If he gets out the spots I'll be fine. I just don't have confidence. Any opinions , advice would be appreciated. Sorry I don't have pictures. The tiny spots are not as round as the obvious water spots.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New Car ... Angry....Help!!!!!

Do NOT! Let them wet sand it!!!! Honda’s especially have thin soft paint.

When you said you compounded, what product did you use and what parts did you use?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Likes TTQ B4U liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I tried Meguiar ultimate compound, HD cut, HD speed and I used griots dual action polisher with an LC orange pad on soft Honda paint and I couldn’t remove anything!

Post Thanks / Like

sounds like some type of etching from fallout maybe...or a defect in the paint itself

6. Likes Goonie75 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That doesn't sound good. If you wanted a different color it was going to be a few thousand more?? That doesn't sound right at all.
    2015 F-150 Crew Cab Lariat
    2016 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS

Post Thanks / Like

I just wanted a different car! Any color. What is the problem if he wet sands it . I lose a lot of paint? Can the paint still look as good?

Post Thanks / Like

with what you tried i too wonder if it's a paint defect. possibly before cleared? that would suck.
    2009 Pontiac G8GT
    2015 Ford Explorer Limited
    2019 Chevy Silverado RST Z71

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RandyD View Post
    I just wanted a different car! Any color. What is the problem if he wet sands it . I lose a lot of paint? Can the paint still look as good?
    Read this article: Clearcoats are thin by Mike Phillips
    Essentially yes, factory paint and clear-coat is very thin. About the thickness of a post-it-note.

I'm hoping they can resolve your issue. There was one chap on this forum who got himself a nice new Mustang GT and it was etched with water spots and bird etchings so bad, the dealer sent it off site to a detailer who wet-sanded the car. It ended up getting repainted.

Again, you run risk, especially on a honda. Most honda's not only have a base-coat, clear-coat, but then have a tint-coat. The tint coat is very thin...
    Not to put fear in you but UC is a pretty good compound. Here is what I would try next.. Using a Microfiber Applicator, I would try it by hand, no machine.

Remove bird etching

Hand removal is almost always more efficient as you can exert more pressure to a small area and thus keep your work area isolated to just the affected ~ Mike Phillips
    I'd be surprised and shocked if they got you a new vehicle, especially after your vehicle has been taxed, titled and registered. Typically paint isn't an item that warrants getting a new vehicle. I wouldn't be surprised if they had it resprayed at their body shop.

Post Thanks / Like

Very sorry to hear about your new car. And as others have wrote the clearcoat is thin. If you can not return the car or swap to another one. They would repaint it for you and at the same time honor the value drop from a repaint. I would contact Honda too and ask them if there is a known paint problem with the color of the paint you have. Not fun at all to be dealing with this problem the first thing you do.

Hope you get it sorted out some way.

Post Thanks / Like

On of my friends got water spots all over his brand new Camaro last summer.

He had me come out and try to polish them out, but before I started, he called his painter cousin and asked for any advice.

His cousin told him to try whatever car wash solution we had mixed with hot water.

So we tried the Ultimate Wash & Wax with hot water, and it worked like a charm. I couldn't believe it...

13. Likes SWETM, Hammer77, Jon TDS liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast