autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Best synthetic clay option?

I would like some opinions on the different options out there.

I am leaning towards the CarPro Poly Shave Decon Towel or the Griots Surface Prep Pad.
    I will be working on a 2007 satin white pearl Subaru Wrx Sti. The car is heavily contaminated even after Iron X treatment. Traditional Clay is taking too long per panel.
    My question is how aggressive is the CarPro Poly Shave? I am worried it will not be aggressive enough to get the contaminants out of the paint.

All opinions welcomed.

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Best synthetic clay option?

I can't comment on the heavily contaminated paint, as I'm just a hobbyist.

But I have the nanoskin sponges which work great, the clay mitt for larger areas, also works great. Just ordered the Griot's Brilliant Finish synthetic clay sponge as well, which I have yet to try.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    I can't comment on the heavily contaminated paint, as I'm just a hobbyist.

But I have the nanoskin sponges which work great, the clay mitt for larger areas, also works great. Just ordered the Griot's Brilliant Finish synthetic clay sponge as well, which I have yet to try.
    Thanks for the response. The paint isn't too heavily contaminated, but it is definitely too contaminated for a fine clay if that makes sense. I think a medium clay would tackle all of the contaminants.

Post Thanks / Like

Griot?s Garage Fast Surface Prep Mitt

I've been using one (the same one!) for the last year. Works great!

Mike

5. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have the griots fine prep mitt and have had it for over a year its so much faster than clay and I have done the plastic bag test and always came out smooth. In its defense I haven't used it on a really bad vehicle so far

Sent from my PH-1 using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Since I only take care of our two cars I started using the Nanoskin sponges a couple of years ago and they have worked out great. Using UWW+ mixed at the waterless wash dilution as a lubricant I'm able to clay without introducing marring. Here's a link to both sponges, but you can also buy them individually.

Nanoskin Autoscrub Speedy Prep Sponge Combo Pack

Post Thanks / Like

I have tried a few things over the years and I keep coming back to NanoSkin sponges. I think they work very well and are nice to use, especially if you do rinseless washes. Just drop them in the wash solution bucket. Clean your panel then grab the sponge and clay it before you dry. Much faster than any other process I know.

I also tried Optimum's clay towel and I hate it. It' s very hard to use because you have nothing to grab on, the only way I could make it work was to grab one edge and lift it. But when you push in the other direction the towel tends to fold on itself. Bleh! Also after claying a single car it is not covered in contaminants I cannot clean off. It comes as a while clay like substance, now it's half black and I am very hesitant to use it on an other vehicle. 28$ for a single car... what a waste of money!

Post Thanks / Like

are the nanoskin and prep mit basically the same technology? I've read both links and don't really understand how they accomplish the same results as a clay bar. And if they do, why the heck anyone would still use clay.
    2009 Pontiac G8GT
    2015 Ford Explorer Limited
    2019 Chevy Silverado RST Z71

Post Thanks / Like

Clay is still a more thorough cleaning.

Post Thanks / Like

There are instances were clay alternatives cannot remove some contaminants and clay will. But otherwise, in 95% of cases, clay alternatives are faster, easier and less expensive to use. Plus if you drop them you did not just throw away 20$ like a clay bar.

The only thing you have to be careful about with clay alternatives is that they are extremelly heat sensitive.

- So you don't want to use them on hot panels or they may leave clay material behind on the panel and it's hard to remove

- They will stick to anything they come in contact with during storage, so you have to be careful how you store them. I have wasted many NanoSkin sponges by them sticking to something during transport in my truck. Now what I do is I put a piece of parchment paper (stuff for cooking) around them before putting them back in their plastic case. I also no longer leave them in the truck, I bring them inside when I get home. So far I have not had any more problem since doing that.

12. Likes PaulMys liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast