autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

nanoskin wash mitt questions--bubble bath or slick--use IPA before coating?

Checking out the nanoskin wash mitt. Does anyone have experience using the bubble bath versus the Slick spray?
    Had some very basic questions because i dont know much about detailing.

1. I want to apply a coating to an RV and my truck. Plan is to hand wash real good, then use the nanoskin mitt. Now before applying the coating dont i need to strip off the "shine" that the bubble bath or slick leaves behind? I seen some people recommend 50/50 water with IPA to get a virgin surface. Hard to picture myself doing that to an entire RV. The truck wouldnt take too long. Is there a nanomitt lubricant that does not leave a protectant? But instead removes contaminants and leaves behind a virgin surface? That seems weird to clay with something that leaves behind a protectant just to wipe that protectant off before applying a more durable wax or coating.

2. Is skipping the use of a DA or rotary a mistake in terms of how good the coating will stick? If i do use a DA and maybe a 1 step compound, do i need to wipe the entire surface with IPA before applying a spray on ceramic coating?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: nanoskin wash mitt questions--bubble bath or slick--use IPA before coating?

Had a 3 question.
    Whats better the wash mitt or the 6" pad with the hand applicator? The 6" pad can serve both purposes. Unless theyre constructed different.
    Ive tried writing nanoskin twice over the last few weeks and never get a reply. So asking you smart guys!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I believe Purple Power makes a wash soap that will help strip any wax. Just use that in a bucket to clay as well.

Post Thanks / Like

I have some of that actually. The vehicle and boat wash. Thought i would need something more slippery for the clay or nano mitt?

Post Thanks / Like

How about useing McKees 37 N-914 rinseless wash in claylube dilution. It's a versitale and can be diluted in a panel wipe product dilution too. When wipe down larger panels don't do the entire one. Break down in sections as you go with a bit of going over the section you are going to coat a little further. Then you have a clean and prepared section to work on.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replies. Might go with the 6" pad and an air powered sander.
    Thoughts? I dont have a sander yet. But seems like the lightest and quickest way.

Post Thanks / Like

Think that sanders use high rpm and small orbital. That will spinn the pad faster than on a DA. If you are not prepared to polish after the claying with the sander and claypad. I would not go with that. A clay mitt is easy to control and you feel when you have gotten the contaminants off. With a polisher or sander that feeling disapare. I used carpro reset and a fine grade clay mitt and got great results. And I have a spray bottle with claylube to ad some extra lubrication if needed. Rinse the clay mitt in the reset wash solution to get it clean. Spray the section you are claying lightly with the claylube and start claying.

When useing coatings an ipa or a panel wipe product wipe down before application is very important. Either if you polish or not. With polishing with a polisher you have the benefit of the best way to clean the paint. If the paint is in the medium to hard clearcoat. I would look into Sonax Cut and Finish. It's a great medium cut polish with good finishing ability. Dial it in with the right pad to your paints. Even with Sonax EX04-06 or Sonax Perfect Finish you can get a great cut with a pad that is in the middle of the cut range from your favorite polishing pad brands. A hughe benefit with Sonax polishes is they are super easy to wipe off the polishing oils with ipa or a panel wipe product. And very easy to work with too.

Coatings like a polished surface because of how clean it gets. And the paint gets smooth so the coating levels to get you a flat hydrophobic surface. Then with a polished surface you get the best gloss and depth that the coating excell that even more.

On the RV you can get away with a primer polish like carpro Essence or Gyeon Primer. Use a medium cut foam pad and you get a decent cut and awesome finish. Let the primer polish sit after wipe off the recommend time and you don't need to do a panel wipe product wipe down before the coating application.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks so much for the information!! I saw Apex detail reviewed the Sonax Perfect Finish recently.
    All i dont own a DA or an air polisher. On the nano website they showed a guy using the air sander.
    That seemed like it would do the RV quickly and one handed standing on ladders.

I want to buy a DA but every time i look its hard to decide. Almost want to go the cheap Harbor Freight route. Even though it doesnt have much throw.
    Im just a DIY at home guy. Main goal is to get UV protection on the vehicles. I dont keep them clean because i drive on dirt roads and get dusty in a day.