autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Mckee's paint coating problems.

Did a coating job this afternoon. I used a dropper instead of a sprayer. Did not see that much difference in the application. Did a few drops (about 5 to 10) on the micro-suede applicator amd did one panel at a time. The application is similar to V1, the product is a little more grabby but goes on nicelly. The removal is where it all changed. Today I used 2 microfiber towels to remove it: One to do the wipe down on the wet panel and a second one to try to make it smear free. That part is not fun when working in low light. I was in an underground garage today and despite the 600W of lighting I bring to completment what ever is there, I hard a hard time to see well enough to remove every single smear. I had to do a lot of touching up afterwards using my swirl finder light.

With all that said, if the product is better in terms of result, I don't mind the extra work. The funny thing is I never purchased Cquartz because I did not want to apply coatings that were extra work

Post Thanks / Like

I have been using this coating for a couple months now. Although I have nothing to compare it too, I have to say, it is a good coating and my customers really like it. The only complaint that I have is that the sprayers clog up after the first use and even sometimes before I end the first use. Other than that, I haven't had any other issues. I usually apply and wipe off immediately.

3. Likes Maxreed241, Calendyr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My bottle says wipe immediately too. You said you read the bottle? Does yours not have that on there? This is really odd.
    "Dirt likes detergent so much better than the surface that it's attached to, it'll leave that surface to go hang out with the soap"...aim4squirrels

Post Thanks / Like

Ok an other coating job today. For some reason I cannot explain I did not put back my Geyon foam block in my coating kit after the last coating I did so I was unable to use my normal application method (with the micro suede over the block). I was forced to use the foam applicator that McKee's send with the coating. Here are my thoughts on that:

1) Since the sprayers all clogged up the on the 3 bottles I had, (2 left now) I installed a dropper cap on one of the bottles and have used it for a second time today. I think it's a bit faster to apply the product to the applicator compared to spraying 5 times into it... but really I would not say it's better or worse.

2) The McKee's foam applicator had a tendency of dripping product when I was was doing vertical panels. So that was annoying. I might be using too much product with 5 drops, maybe if I sprayed into it less product would be present, will have to do more testing.

3) The removal was much easier after using the McKee's applicator. So I am thinking that the new formula is not really compatible with micro suede applicators for a reason I cannot really understand. But today, even if I was working outside, in the sun, removal was easy. First buff was not as sticky, I felt a little resistance from the product but not much as opposed to trying to level molasses last time around. So if you are using something else than McKee's applicator foam block, give it a try, it might resolve your issues.

So that's that. Falling back in love with this coating What a great value this product is! 45$ to coat 5 cars, no other company is even close.

Post Thanks / Like

MF suede applicators tend to separate components of some products. It's probably easily testable. But if you put a drop of some products on the suede, you'll see the spot expand, and then have concentric rings. I suppose it has to do with consistency/solubility of "ingredients" (think oil/water). Might not be the case with coatings but worth looking into.

Post Thanks / Like

I've coated my vehicle with the V2 version and have been very happy with it. I prefer it over the Wolfgang Uber coating. The only issue I have is my sprayer is clogged.

Is it possible to unclog the sprayer or do you have to throw them away?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AZpolisher15 View Post
    MF suede applicators tend to separate components of some products. It's probably easily testable. But if you put a drop of some products on the suede, you'll see the spot expand, and then have concentric rings. I suppose it has to do with consistency/solubility of "ingredients" (think oil/water). Might not be the case with coatings but worth looking into.
    Interesting. I used that method and didn't notice anything. In the end the suedes are just MF look a likes , and there is no actual suede being used.

9. Likes AZpolisher15 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrOneEyedBoh View Post
    Interesting. I used that method and didn't notice anything. In the end the suedes are just MF look a likes , and there is no actual suede being used.
    Definitely not all products separate on suede. But put a drop of PlastX on suede and see what happens. The abrasives stay in the center and the carriers spread out.

Post Thanks / Like

When working with CQ or Gtechniq I tend to stripe the applicator 3 times, then apply three drops.

With CQUK, it’s recommended to apply fairly heavy.

In the course, I’ll go through about 10 MF sued towels for the initial wipe off and equal in regular MF as the follow up. The two towel technique is a must.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

12. Likes TTQ B4U liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Well did my wife's traverse and it turned out perfect. It wiped up great. The humidity was normal today, when I did my truck the humidity and dew point was really high. This stuff must not like that. Doing my dads truck tomorrow. We'll see how that one turns out.

14. Likes Boudin liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12