autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Regular Member steelwindmachine's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy My car wash method seems inefficient...

This past weekend I washed my cars ('05 Forester and '14 Sorento) for the first time in months since winter. I don't have water restrictions and have my own hose/water access.

I had been using the two bucket method with either Meg's Gold Class soap or ONRWW, grit guards and microfiber mitts (one for paint, one for wheels).

I thought I'd try a new method after watching several videos by Scott from Dallas Paint Correction where he advocates simplified wash processes, using less water and letting the products do the work for you:

1. Spray TRIX on two wheels, let soak for a few minutes and then scrub with a brush and thoroughly rinse. Repeat on the other side.
    2. Rinse down the whole car.
    3. Spray on ONRWW via a 1-gallon pump sprayer at a rinseless wash ratio.
    4. Use Meg's microfiber wash mitt to wipe a section and then rinse with my hose sprayer.
    5. Going panel by panel, wheel by wheel, spray Optiseal as drying aid on and dry with a large microfiber towel. I used a separate, black microfiber towel for the wheels.
    6. Apply Blackfire Onyx tire gel to tires

My interpretation of Scott's methodology didn't seem to feel like I was doing things sensibly. My pump sprayer put out a seemingly slow, but a fine mist of the water/ONRWW mix. I had to go up and down on a step ladder four times to fully clean and then four times again to dry the roof of the Sorento. It all just seemed so slow and stupid. =\

The cars came out seemingly clean and with a nice shine. I didn't even treat the black trim or clean up the exhaust tips. However, for what I did do, it felt like it took ages. My wife was frustrated. She said it wasn't fun and seemed overly complicated. I was able to instruct her on how to help with the drying.

These are outside 24/7 daily drivers, not show cars and have not yet had a paint correction. I'm now planning to do that in the fall after Labor Day.

There are no touchless wash places near me. Any suggestions on how or if I can make this process more efficient, take less time and still get the cars clean and protected?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: My car wash method seems inefficient...

I use a electric pressure washer with a store bought foam cannon. Rinse off the dirt first. Use the foam cannon and let the foam dwell. After rinsing, as the water runs off, I apply the wheel and tire cleaners. After tires and wheels are clean, I use a spray wax as a drying aide and gently dry each panel with a drymeariver microfiber towel. Both vehicles are left with a slick water beading finish.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Look into a WORKS Brand Powershot sprayer that would siphon from a 5gal bucket. Much faster than a 1gal sprayer. You'll use a little more water but it's worth it for the time savings and capability to wash better.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TTQ B4U View Post
    Look into a WORKS Brand Powershot sprayer that would siphon from a 5gal bucket. Much faster than a 1gal sprayer. You'll use a little more water but it's worth it for the time savings and capability to wash better.
    Do you mean the "Hydroshot"? If so, there is a 20v ($109-120 depending on promo) and 40v ($127-$140 depending on promo) version.

I presume you'd put the ONRWW in the supply bucket?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by steelwindmachine View Post
    Do you mean the "Hydroshot"? If so, there is a 20v ($109-120 depending on promo) and 40v ($127-$140 depending on promo) version.

I presume you'd put the ONRWW in the supply bucket?
    Yes. Sorry. That's the one. I can do two vehicles with one 20v fully charged. I use Wolfgang Uber in mine. Just beware with WG.U. and I'm sure ONR, you keep an eye on the filter in the connection. Standard in-line filter/washer to seal up the connection and prevent debris from entering the gun. What happens to me is sometimes the Rinseless product will clump and clog that screen. Not a big deal, I pop off the quick connect at the point where the hose meets the Hydroshot, spray it with Windex and it flushes out the buggers. Viola, full pressure restored.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

after a good wax seal job in the spring your washes should be easier too. Hoenstly I use a foam gun now, but the 2 bucket method with megs gold, plus dedicated wheel/tire cleaner with a wheel brush is pretty simple, pretty quick and not time consuming. Always done the trick for me. But I'll stress again, a good coating/wax/sealant is what makes it easier throughout the summer.
    2009 Pontiac G8GT
    2015 Ford Explorer Limited
    2019 Chevy Silverado RST Z71

7. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This fall I'm hoping to do a correction and apply Collinite 476 to one car and Finish Kare wax to the other.

I use the Optiseal as a drying aid for the washes and if I have more time, I'll apply it as originally prescribed for more thorough protection.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TTQ B4U View Post
    Love my WORKS Hydroshot (20v version) - just enough pressure for what I'm trying to accomplish (works great for engines also)
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

What's the purpose of spraying ONRWW? If you have a hose and no restrictions I would just hose off the car, 2bm, rinse, and dry with optiseal. If you just like the product then I would hose off the car, use ONRWW in 2bm or GDWM, then dry with optiseal. Either I think is faster and more effective than messing with the garden sprayer.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DetailZeus View Post
    What's the purpose of spraying ONRWW? If you have a hose and no restrictions I would just hose off the car, 2bm, rinse, and dry with optiseal. If you just like the product then I would hose off the car, use ONRWW in 2bm or GDWM, then dry with optiseal. Either I think is faster and more effective than messing with the garden sprayer.

I'm using the ONRWW for it's added wax protection.

I decided to stray from the 2BM since Scott from Dallas Paint Correction essentially proved that it doesn't work unless you use a fresh mitt/towel for the soaping and not rinse anything that goes back into the soap.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast