autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: My car wash method seems inefficient...

The Worx Hydroshot is not a replacement for a power washer but it is a great tool. I use it when I am on the road and I want the company car to look good. I can fill buckets with water from the hotel and go to town. I wouldn't change anything about your technique unless you plan to go professional. The actual process and activity of detailing is what most of us enjoy. You will eventually find better products, tools and techniques. Enjoy the journey.

2. Likes TTQ B4U liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: My car wash method seems inefficient...

Quote Originally Posted by steelwindmachine View Post
    This past weekend I washed my cars ('05 Forester and '14 Sorento) for the first time in months since winter. I don't have water restrictions and have my own hose/water access.

I had been using the two bucket method with either Meg's Gold Class soap or ONRWW, grit guards and microfiber mitts (one for paint, one for wheels).

I thought I'd try a new method after watching several videos by Scott from Dallas Paint Correction where he advocates simplified wash processes, using less water and letting the products do the work for you:

1. Spray TRIX on two wheels, let soak for a few minutes and then scrub with a brush and thoroughly rinse. Repeat on the other side.
    2. Rinse down the whole car.
    3. Spray on ONRWW via a 1-gallon pump sprayer at a rinseless wash ratio.
    4. Use Meg's microfiber wash mitt to wipe a section and then rinse with my hose sprayer.
    5. Going panel by panel, wheel by wheel, spray Optiseal as drying aid on and dry with a large microfiber towel. I used a separate, black microfiber towel for the wheels.
    6. Apply Blackfire Onyx tire gel to tires

My interpretation of Scott's methodology didn't seem to feel like I was doing things sensibly. My pump sprayer put out a seemingly slow, but a fine mist of the water/ONRWW mix. I had to go up and down on a step ladder four times to fully clean and then four times again to dry the roof of the Sorento. It all just seemed so slow and stupid. =\

The cars came out seemingly clean and with a nice shine. I didn't even treat the black trim or clean up the exhaust tips. However, for what I did do, it felt like it took ages. My wife was frustrated. She said it wasn't fun and seemed overly complicated. I was able to instruct her on how to help with the drying.

These are outside 24/7 daily drivers, not show cars and have not yet had a paint correction. I'm now planning to do that in the fall after Labor Day.

There are no touchless wash places near me. Any suggestions on how or if I can make this process more efficient, take less time and still get the cars clean and protected?
    I think the main reason you had difficulty is because these are SUV's and using that method on vehicles this size is just too time consuming. You'll most likely need some kind of step stool to reach the roof, windshield, and using the rinseless wash/folding towels...washing and drying panel by panel..reaching up etc etc...is just too much to do and your not going to enjoy what your doing.

I would soap it with a foam gun connected to a hose, then wash using the 2 bucket method. This will go quickly. I live in AZ, so I have 2 big enemies...the extreme heat, and extremely hard water. I can't rinse off with just tap water, so I use a Hydroshot with a bucket of ONR to rinse off. Only takes a few minutes, and the ONR will dry, but the spots are soft and will wipe right off. Now apply your favorite LSP.

I use the rinseless wash and Big Red Sponge on the smaller cars. Much easier. That's what's amazing about detailing, there's no specific technique or product that is going to handle every single situation. It's not a "one size fits all" job. You'll always have to adapt to the situation, and problem solve...that's what makes it fun!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123