autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Claying after a week

Well, I started detailing my car on Friday, but couldn't finish because I dropped all the clays...

I was going to continue yesterday or today, but the weather is unbearable. So I will likely to pick up where I left off on upcoming Thursday (6 days after I started detailing my car).

Would it be ok to clay my car without washing it first (I will be re-claying the entire car as some parts of the paint feel rough)? Of course, the car won't be driven, and will be kept in garage. But the garage will be opened and closed a couple of times a day as I drive the other car.

Thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Claying after a week

It really depends on how much dust builds up over that time. At minimum i would take a quick detailer to it. If there is enough built up dust it would probably be better to do a rinseless wash with a product like ONR - quick and effective. Otherwise you are just grinding those dirt particles into your paint as you clay. As for dropping your clay, you may want to consider a clay alternative that you can simply rinse off if dropped or a mitt that is less likely to fall to the ground.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I don't have rinseless wash products.

I might actually continue detailing tomorrow (3 days after I started detailing my car). I haven't even opened the garage since Friday...

Also, what is this clay alternative product that can be reused if dropped?

EDIT: is this called "nano skin?"

Post Thanks / Like

Autogeek sells nanoskin wash mitt, optimum clay towels, optimum eraser and probably more. I have the nanoskin and it makes claying much quicker plus the ability to just wash it off if dropped or when it picks up enough contaminants.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

5. Likes Avgguy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Clay Aiken giving claying advice. It doesn’t get any better.Claying after a week

7. Thanks OMGClayAiken thanked for this post
    Likes Finick, OMGClayAiken, SNP209, SWETM, acuRAS82 and 2 others liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I would never clay my car without washing it first. A lot of dust can settle on your car in a week. Why take a chance on dragging dust over your paint when you can give it a quick wash in fifteen minutes?

I have never used anything other than clay bars but i would like to try nanoskin or like products.

Dave

2017 Toyota Tundra
    2013 M37S Infinity
    2007 BMW 335i convertible

9. Likes Paul A. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm with crovello, I wouldn't clay without thoroughly washing.

11. Likes Dan Tran liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Can I just Iron-X my car, wipe it down with wet wash mitt and rinse it? I might continue retailing tomorrow

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by E93to View Post
    I don't have rinseless wash products.

I might actually continue detailing tomorrow (3 days after I started detailing my car). I haven't even opened the garage since Friday...

Also, what is this clay alternative product that can be reused if dropped?

EDIT: is this called "nano skin?"
    What are you using for lubrication? Most clay lubes are a form of rinseless wash or waterless wash but at lower concentration. So if you have plenty of clay lube, you could use this as a product to wipe down the panels before claying.

Also if you have a tendency to drop clay, you should look into alternative clay solutions like NanoSkin sponges or clay towels. Those can be simply washed off if you drop them. They are also faster to use taking about half the time to clay a panel compared to traditional clay. The only downside is that in certain cases, they might not be able to remove everything. It has only happened to me once in 5 years, so that is very uncommon.

If you do clay your car from time to time, getting a bottle of ONR or other rinseless or waterless solution would be a good idea. It will cost you pennies to make clay lube, and you will have the most versatile product you can get in your arsenal. These rinseless/waterless products can be diluted to make: Washing solution, clay lube, quick detailer, drying aid, glass cleaners. Most can be used as a substitute for APC for interiors as long as the surfaces are not hammered.

I personally use Optimum No-Rinse and I love it. But a lot of the Waterless products are very good also, some being an even better value than ONR.

14. Likes PaulMys, LSNAutoDetailing liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Can Iron X, ISP and Klasse Sealant be left in hot garage? Would that affect these products in any way?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast