autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

How to remove a body-side molding?

Well, just got a 2018 Subaru Outback and bought the OEM body side moldings for it.

The car was manufactured the last week of May and I picked it up 10 days ago.

Well, I did not notice that one of the BSM had a big scratch on it. Until I mounted it. It has the typical gray 3m tape with the red backing. What would be the best way to remove this so they can give me a replqacement?

I have: fishing line, 3m adhesive remover, goof-off and goo-gone. I'm mainly concerned here about the paint being 'hard' enough as the 3m says 'safe for nearly all cured automotive paint'. I cannot pry it off; I know better.

What's going to be my best bet here? I figure with the sprays I would spray along the top edge and let it soak in to see if it will come off with gentle pulling. Or a combo of above?
    2018 Subaru Outback Touring 3.6R Crystal White Pearl, 2014 Ford F-150 FX4 - Oxford White Clearcoat.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How to remove a body-side molding?

Use a heat gun or hair dryer with fishing line. I wouldn't worry about the paint cure as it was heat baked. Use 3m adhesive remover if any residue.

3. Thanks Marc Hufnagel thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    Use a heat gun or hair dryer with fishing line. I wouldn't worry about the paint cure as it was heat baked. Use 3m adhesive remover if any residue.
    +1 basically same procedure for removing emblems, if you've ever done that OP. make sure to wear a nice pair of thick gloves when using fishing line

5. Thanks Marc Hufnagel thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Hufnagel View Post
    Well, just got a 2018 Subaru Outback and bought the OEM body side moldings for it.
    I have: fishing line, 3m adhesive remover, goof-off and goo-gone. I'm mainly concerned here about the paint being 'hard' enough as the 3m says 'safe for nearly all cured automotive paint'. I cannot pry it off; I know better.
    Hit it with a hair dryer or a heat gun on low, wait 1-2 minutes, lift up on one end with a plastic putty-knife and continue to apply upward pressure. It will very quickly begin to fully lift of glue and all. I have done this hundreds of times with emblems and moldings. So long as you wait until the glue heats up and begins to melt, lifting the adhesive mounting tape too, you won't have any issue and it will remove with nearly all the adhesive leaving no real need to adhesive remover. BTW, 3M Adhesive remover is perfectly fine.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

7. Thanks Marc Hufnagel thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JHL88 View Post
    +1 basically same procedure for removing emblems, if you've ever done that OP. make sure to wear a nice pair of thick gloves when using fishing line
    Finally found a pair of gloves in the basement garage. Definitely came in handy.
    2018 Subaru Outback Touring 3.6R Crystal White Pearl, 2014 Ford F-150 FX4 - Oxford White Clearcoat.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TTQ B4U View Post
    Hit it with a hair dryer or a heat gun on low, wait 1-2 minutes, lift up on one end with a plastic putty-knife and continue to apply upward pressure. It will very quickly begin to fully lift of glue and all. I have done this hundreds of times with emblems and moldings. So long as you wait until the glue heats up and begins to melt, lifting the adhesive mounting tape too, you won't have any issue and it will remove with nearly all the adhesive leaving no real need to adhesive remover. BTW, 3M Adhesive remover is perfectly fine.
    great ideas - all off and like it never even happened! Now to get it swapped tomorrow at the Subie dealer.

Post Thanks / Like

If you do end up using 3M Adhesive Remover, be sure not to get it on any plastic. I used that stuff to remove decal adhesive on the windshield of my snowmobile that was left when I removed a trail pass. It clouded up that acrylic almost instantly. It took a lot of work to get the clarity back with Permatex plastic polish. It's Goof-Off from now on when dealing with plastics.

Post Thanks / Like

Fishing line or the wide dental floss are great for sawing through the adhesive tape.

I would use a hair dryer and NOT a heat gun to soften the tape. There was a poster here or over at Autopia who actually wrinkled his paint using a heat gun to remove some badges. Another thing people don't realize is simply sitting a vehicle out in the sun for an hour or so will do wonders for softening up stuff like adhesive tape and vinyl decals/stripes if they are new-ish.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog