autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

How do you section panels when applying CQuartz UK

Hey guys
    So i put my first order of cquartz in. I was wondering how you guys apply it as in how many sections do you do of the door? complete door? half and half? how about the hood? 2 sections? etc

2. Likes Duy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How do you section panels when applying CQuartz UK

This is a a "It depends" question. You will not know until you apply your first section. I always start small.... About the size of my polishing sections. If I'm getting good results, I'll extend it out, but here is where it can come back to bite you. If you extend too far, and it flashes too fast, you end up with a mess. Everything will depend upon temperature, humidity etc...

Also, when applying, you want to slightly overlap the sections you've already done in order to make sure you have coverage.

4. Likes The Guz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LSNAutoDetailing View Post
    This is a a "It depends" question. You will not know until you apply your first section. I always start small.... About the size of my polishing sections. If I'm getting good results, I'll extend it out, but here is where it can come back to bite you. If you extend too far, and it flashes too fast, you end up with a mess. Everything will depend upon temperature, humidity etc...

Also, when applying, you want to slightly overlap the sections you've already done in order to make sure you have coverage.
    OK makes sense. How about with the suede cloths? How often do I change the cloths? or can I use one for the entire vehicle?

Post Thanks / Like

I change my suede applicator cloth almost every other panel. Like LSN said earlier, "it depends" and here in AZ with the high temps and flashing quickly, I personally found best results using a new cloth every panel. I might stretch it to two panels a cloth but that would be it. Anything more and streaking issues occur.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Duy View Post
    I change my suede applicator cloth almost every other panel. Like LSN said earlier, "it depends" and here in AZ with the high temps and flashing quickly, I personally found best results using a new cloth every panel. I might stretch it to two panels a cloth but that would be it. Anything more and streaking issues occur.
    Ok thanks for the quick response I ordered some more suede towels from carpro..Rather have more than not enough

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by blagunas6 View Post
    Hey guys
    So i put my first order of cquartz in. I was wondering how you guys apply it as in how many sections do you do of the door? complete door? half and half? how about the hood? 2 sections? etc
    As mentioned it is going to vary depending on the temperature and humidity conditions. Follow LSN's advice as it says it all.

With a hood you may consider dividing into 1/4's or so depending on how the coating is behaving.

If you got CQUK 3.0 then you will have a good working time with it. The previous formula had a shorter working time.

OK makes sense. How about with the suede cloths? How often do I change the cloths? or can I use one for the entire vehicle?
    This is going to vary but after a few panels you will more than likely need a new suede applicator as the coating will begin to cure based on the temp and humidity.

Ok thanks for the quick response I ordered some more suede towels from carpro..Rather have more than not enough
    Get yourself some nice low nap microfiber towels for wipe off. The suede towels are ok but in my experience a low nap towel in the 300-365 gsm range works better. You can use the large suede towels and cut them into applicators to save money.

9. Thanks blagunas6 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm new to coatings, but have coated three vehicles this month using UK 3.0. Definitely error on the side of small sections until you get the hang of it. I tried to get too aggressive by doing larger panels to speed up the process but that came back to bite me. I had to go back and buff off the entire door on my truck as I found some streaks that couldn't be leveled. Luckily I caught it with a few hours and it buffed out easily.

11. Thanks blagunas6 thanked for this post