autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Best Glass Coating?

Quote Originally Posted by Calendyr View Post
    Hello,

I have been applying Aquapel for about 5 years now. I apply it as an option to my detailing packages so here is my process:

1) Wash the windshield along with the rest of the car using either car soap or rinseless wash.
    2) During the final steps of the detail, I will clean the windshield again using an alcohol based cleaner. I do it twice.
    3) Apply Aquapel making sure every part of the windshield has been covered. I do UP/DOWN then Side to side then UP/DOWN again to make certain of this.
    4) While the product is still wet (no dry time aside from going to the other side of the windshield to apply the product) I remove Aquapel with a microfiber towel using the nap side
    5) When all I can remove has been removed I flip to the flat side of the microfiber towel (no nap) and buff until I can't see any residue.
    The whole thing takes about 15 minutes.

In my experience, 6 months is the average durability. But it depends on the weather and how much you use your wipers.

As for Rain-X, I have used it in the past and many times it would fail on the first rainy night while I was using the wipers. I think there are no comparissons possible between the two products. Completelly different leagues.

As for other coatings, I am tempted to try C1 from Gtechniq. From what I understand, it's a 1 to 2 year coating and you can do about 10 vehicles with 1 bottle. That makes it a little cheaper than Aquapel with a 2 to 4 times longer durability. So when I run low on Aquapel applicators, I think I will give it a try.
    I done exactly as you describe with Aquapel, commented once I recall, working with the speed of DATA from Star Trek to apply. LOL Don't know why it didn't hold up, especially the second time using it cause I went way overboard with the cleaning prep, I clayed, cleaned, Alcohol, cleaned, wiped, and I don't think I got a month out of it, the first time it rained in the New Mexico Desert during their Monsoon Season.

I'm sorry that maybe others might've mistaken me, because I'm not trying to imply Rain-X is the best of all, I'm sure that it isn't.

You bet I'd like to try some others, never seen the Rustoleum product anywhere. One day I might spring for this, McKees, or Optimum

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder if different manufacturer's glass takes Aquapel differently. That's my only guess, as I've always had good luck with it. Even with minimal prep. My routine now is to simply apply and buff McKee's Glass Restorer, IPA wipedown, and then apply the Aquapel. I do a cross hatch pattern on both sides, then spread circles, then finish spreading top to bottom. No rush when in the shade, no matter the temp. Then I wipe with paper towels to remove the "wet" product. I don't wipe it spotless. Just dry it. Then I let it sit for several hours before removing any cloudiness with a microfiber. Done. And I get close to, if not an entire year of great water behavior.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    Once you machine polish your glass, you'll never go back.
    If you were to machine polish the glass using McKee’s Glass Restorer, what pad would you recommend? And what size pad + speed on the polisher?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    If you were to machine polish the glass using McKee’s Glass Restorer, what pad would you recommend? And what size pad + speed on the polisher?
    Adding my 2 cents, I usually use white, Speed 4-5, ~5”. Then I’ll get the corners by hand.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by acuRAS82 View Post
    Adding my 2 cents, I usually use white, Speed 4-5, ~5”. Then I’ll get the corners by hand.
    Would you recommend polishing the interior glass [driver/passenger side windows + windshield] if there’s no tint?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    Would you recommend polishing the interior glass [driver/passenger side windows + windshield] if there’s no tint?
    I haven’t tried that, but it’s something I’m interested in trying now that you mention it. Given how clear the outsides become, it could only benefit the interiors... specifically for older glass. I don’t think it would be necessary on newer cars.

7. Thanks Eldorado2k thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD51 View Post
    I done exactly as you describe with Aquapel, commented once I recall, working with the speed of DATA from Star Trek to apply. LOL Don't know why it didn't hold up, especially the second time using it cause I went way overboard with the cleaning prep, I clayed, cleaned, Alcohol, cleaned, wiped, and I don't think I got a month out of it, the first time it rained in the New Mexico Desert during their Monsoon Season.

I'm sorry that maybe others might've mistaken me, because I'm not trying to imply Rain-X is the best of all, I'm sure that it isn't.

You bet I'd like to try some others, never seen the Rustoleum product anywhere. One day I might spring for this, McKees, or Optimum
    Only thing I can think of is a bad product batch...

Post Thanks / Like

McKee's 37 Glass Coating, glass sealant, rain repellent

Has lasted me well over a year. Not to mention brutal PA winters.
    2018 Colorado ZR2

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD51 View Post
    I knocked my brains out with Aquapel, not once, but twice. I shake my head in disbelief when I hear a year, I don't think I got a month when I lived in NM.

Do I want to do 40 minutes prep with 2-4 products on outer glass every time and prior to using a rain repellant? Hell no, that's just crazy IMO.

I haven't tried them all, and I'd suspect Optimum, and the PBMG Products are pretty good, but as I look at it, you'll spend your money, roll the dice, and take the chances.

I figure like this:

Am I gonna beat my brains out and empty the wallet with uber expensive products that I "might" get an extra week or two of rain repellency from, but also pay 1-1/2 to 2 times more money to get such? I don't think so.

With Rain-X, my go to, I don't have to kill myself with prep, I just simply clean the glass first before applying. For outer Glass I don't get too anal on a product prior to coating.

I come behind with Rain-X, massage it in good, let haze a good 10 minutes or so, then come behind with a couple water dampened MF Towels to remove haze, then finish with a dry MF Towel.

I also wipe clean all Wiper Blades and treat with something or other, Reload, WG WETS, GTechniq CV2V3, along those lines, and have no problems with wiper chatter.

I think two of the common problems with wiper chatter are dirt cheap Blades, and a later depositing of road grimes. When buying blade replacements, here's where you shouldn't skimp.

I like this product for many reasons, easy to get, dirt cheap per application, and basically foolproof.

I'll never in my life buy Aquapel again, personally I think it's a way overpriced product that worked no better, and I'm not that rich a man to toss money to the wind on such a product, for how little an applicator covers.
    this is pretty much my current process and maybe you're right with the approach. But we all stumble upong something better and than kick ourselves for not trying sooner and that's where i'm at. But to your point, I'm not inclined to throw money at my glass just hoping its better.

I use trico foam blades. They're pretty pricey and good.
    2009 Pontiac G8GT
    2015 Ford Explorer Limited
    2019 Chevy Silverado RST Z71

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Route246 View Post
    The test is whether or not you can turn your wipers off above 35 mph in the rain. Rain-X doesn't allow this in my experience. I've used McKee's and I can often turn off the wipers in light rain while on the highway. You can't turn them off in a downpour but with light rain the beads just blow off.
    that doesn't make sense. The test should be under 35. I've had no problem driving without my wipers after a fresh coat of rainx. Honestly, the rainx performance is generally fine for me. I'm just looking for something that might last longer.
    2009 Pontiac G8GT
    2015 Ford Explorer Limited
    2019 Chevy Silverado RST Z71

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast