autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tips to cut down on time

Quote Originally Posted by Bill1234 View Post
    Often I get the usual, hey can you clean my ride and such. Okay great, they say its in not that bad shape----the maurie show determined that was a lie and its a trashed vehicle and im in over my head. Things that have helped before hand are at least having bottles prepped, cabinet organized, supplies cleaned and I think thats it I know of so far, anyone else have any tips as to what I could do about trying to shave off 30 minutes to an hour without becoming a hack and cutting corners?
    Lots of great insight in this thread. My thoughts are this:

Products, Machine, pads, etc.: Get them dialed in and set up. My go-to for polishing are a couple Flex 3401's and now a Rupes Mille. Forced Rotation is a HUGE bump in speed. I'm OCD and set up a polisher on both sides of the vehicle so I don't have to move equipment. Product wise, I love Blue/Purple Wool Pads and ClearCut. Combined they knocked off HUGE loads of time in corrections. Dial in your polishes and pads too. Keep plenty of clean ones ready to go.

I also lay out my pads and towels in a long plastic under the bed tub on my main work bench. This keeps everything handy while working and allows for me to cover them up while working. No more having to go into cabinets or elsewhere for what I need for the job. Keep your buckets and tools organized. When I set up for a detail I line up buckets ahead of time including dirty rag buckets with solution mix ready to go so my towels for coatings don't harden.

Wash bucket (you may use multiple in your system, I don't)
    Dry bucket - small 1 gal pale for my rinseless solution / rag for final wipe downs
    Wheel Bucket - brushes, mitts and solution for cleaning wheels and nasty parts.
    Dirty towel/Rag Bucket - another 5 gals ready with a solution mix handy to get my towels clean faster

Route your cords and lights too. Here too, I route my extension cords on either side of the vehicle so that my lighting is set up on both sides and I don't have to disconnect/reconnect things. Find a way to connect and store cords so you just need to flip switches to turn things on. I have a retractable cord system in the ceiling and one on the walls on either side of my garage so I can just pull out the cord and retract it when done. Each one has three outlets and will drive two lights and one buffer without tangling.

Keep your cordless drill / driver and bits for plates near by. Sounds silly but I have a dedicated spot in my tool box with bits and sockets along with my driver so I can make short order of removing plates and luggage racks, etc. Once you find the right size that works, just order up another spare one off Amazon and keep it set aside in a dedicated spot. No more lost or misplaced bits.

I also don't tape off trim. I know some will debate it but for me it works. Taping off seems and trim is a waste for me. I simple clean, prep and treat the trim first. I am very careful about not touching it but if I do, treated trim that hasn't been wiped off is a snap to clean. Upon my final wipe down I always wipe it off removing any dust. I also highly advise spending $25-$35 on canvas style wheel covers. I use them on every vehicle even if I'm just polishing. Keeps my cleaned up and protected wheels clean and dust free. Dust wise, get two old long beach towels and cover the cowling area before you start buffing. Again, I treat all that before buffing and it's so each to just close the hood on the towels knowing my work is going to stay clean.

Those are just a few things off the top of my head that are in addition to what others have listed. x2 for sure on the platform systems. I use it for doing roofs of SUV's but mostly I use it as a portable cart/table. Go pick up and old office chair on wheels and remove the back and there's your seat for when you're buffing the sides of vehicles and don't need to stand.

Wall mount a canister vacuum and buy one that supports upwards of 25'+ of hose. I relocated mine towards the front of my garage so I can use it inside the garage or on vehicles parked in the driveway.

Love my cordless leaf blower too. Makes short-work of drying off vehicles and no cords is a huge plus.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

2. Thanks Paul A. thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

^ strong thread, Tim! Thanks for the ideas.

Post Thanks / Like

I like to breakdown each phase of work and arrange everything I need to efficiently work through it. For example, wash and decon equipment is all assembled and arranged together for very short reach and effort. Wash buckets, foam gun, iron remover, clay or nanoskin, GooGone or Acetone, Tar X, assorted rags/q tips/tooth picks/brushes etc.

When I move on to correction, again, everything I will need or even think I might need is loaded onto my cart.

I very very rarely have to walk more than a couple of steps to get something unforeseen at that phase of work.

Post Thanks / Like

Not a pro here, but I noticed in my 2 step last thursday, the most annoying thing besides my cord was setting down and picking my polish or sealant bottle. Do they make a belt or something like tool belts to hold bottles/mf towels?
    2009 Pontiac G8GT
    2015 Ford Explorer Limited
    2019 Chevy Silverado RST Z71

Post Thanks / Like

I picked up a bunch of 4 ounce bottles I use for liquid products and simply toss it in my pocket. Even on the largest jobs I rarely use more than about 2-3 ounces.

I've never been a fan of detailing "belts" to avoid scratching or marring a surface. That may just be me, though.

7. Likes oneheadlite liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Surgery scrubs, I have several sets of older scrubs from work that I like to wear. You can even pick up some from Wal-Mart for about $15/set.

9. Likes Paul A., Pats300zx liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Belo View Post
    Not a pro here, but I noticed in my 2 step last thursday, the most annoying thing besides my cord was setting down and picking my polish or sealant bottle. Do they make a belt or something like tool belts to hold bottles/mf towels?
    The Detailer?s Helper Tool Belt Saves an Average of 30 Minutes Per Detail!

11. Likes JustJesus liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    4. Detailing cart. Keep your essentials on it. Towels, compound, beverage, etc...
    Been using mine more and more. Just yesterday, since I was working in the backyard, I saved a pretty good amount of time by putting everything I would need on the cart, and just making one trip, instead of 4-6.

Also, the platforms mentioned on here are great. I have one and want a second. I take mine to mobile jobs. Use them as a platform to stand on when needed, or as a small table to rest stuff on (bags with towels, flash light, tasty beverage or water, polisher tools, etc..). Also makes for a good seat for lunch time.

My detail cart as used for yesterday's "work"

Post Thanks / Like

Switching to a clay detailing pad that I can strap my hand to instead of a little clay bar has been the biggest time saver for me.

14. Likes TTQ B4U, Maxreed241 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Belo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul A. View Post
    I picked up a bunch of 4 ounce bottles I use for liquid products and simply toss it in my pocket. Even on the largest jobs I rarely use more than about 2-3 ounces.

I've never been a fan of detailing "belts" to avoid scratching or marring a surface. That may just be me, though.
    Far from a pro myself, but my first time machine polishing, man did I hate setting the bottle down (nearby table, ground, etc.) And having to pick it up constantly. Since then, I've started using a little cart (like a wagon). But even that was getting to be a PITA..

Now, I simply wear a pair of cargo shorts and keep the bottle in the big pocket on the thigh. The 16oz bottle sticks out enough to grab it easily, and it's always right there by my hand.

I also agree with Paul on the detailing belts. Not a fan of the idea.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

16. Likes Belo liked this post
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast