autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Tips to cut down on time

Often I get the usual, hey can you clean my ride and such. Okay great, they say its in not that bad shape----the maurie show determined that was a lie and its a trashed vehicle and im in over my head. Things that have helped before hand are at least having bottles prepped, cabinet organized, supplies cleaned and I think thats it I know of so far, anyone else have any tips as to what I could do about trying to shave off 30 minutes to an hour without becoming a hack and cutting corners?
    Bill 1234
    2004 audi a6 quattro (traded).
    2015 Ford Escape 2.0l ecoboost 4WD

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tips to cut down on time

Have a powerful DA Like the Flex 3401 or Rupes. I just posted a comment about Menzerna FG300 and that saved me quite a bit of time too. If you are using a weak DA, that alone extends your correcting time. I know I have a PC7424XP. I still use the PC but it is my mini-DA and my wax/sealant applicator. The Flex 3401 was a God Send to me. My guess any of the Rupes or well known power house can save you time too!
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Post Thanks / Like

1. Keep your polisher nearby at all times. [meaning you shouldn’t be walking any distance to have to set it down after every buffing cycle]

2. Have plenty of fresh pads on deck. [trying to squeeze every last breath from a pad eventually results in taking more time due to gradually less effective results]

3. Once your test spot is done, put down your swirl finding light. [chasing complete perfection after every buffing cycle chews up alot of time. Half of it is spent on wiping away any missed polish/compound residue. You’re better off saving it for last during a final spot check]

4. Detailing cart. Keep your essentials on it. Towels, compound, beverage, etc...

5. Try to stay off your phone. This can be a huge distraction and chew up alot of time. Even using it to play music can be detrimental because you’re constantly trying to skip through songs till it plays what you want. It wastes time.

4. Thanks BudgetPlan1 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

6. Try to limit the amount of time you have to keep bending down/climb up if possible. This is a major contributor towards fatigue... If you don’t have a level spot to place your polisher then you might resort to placing it face up on the ground after every buffing cycle. Having to constantly bend down to grab it will get you tired in a hurry, leading to you getting sluggish + working in pain.

Likewise, using a normL ladder instead of a step platform will get you tired quicker and you’ll be paying for it the next day when you wake up sore.

If polishing vertical panels i.e. the doors, have your step platform handy so you can sit on it while polishing. Or maybe you can use a creeper stool, anything beats trying to lean over or crouch down while polishing because that will wear you out in a hurry, leading to you slowing down and taking longer than you should on a job. Work smart.Tips to cut down on time

6. Likes oneheadlite, JustJesus, PaulMys, joleyred liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    6. Try to limit the amount of time you have to keep bending down/climb up if possible. This is a major contributor towards fatigue... If you don’t have a level spot to place your polisher then you might resort to placing it face up on the ground after every buffing cycle. Having to constantly bend down to grab it will get you tired in a hurry, leading to you getting sluggish + working in pain.

Likewise, using a normL ladder instead of a step platform will get you tired quicker and you’ll be paying for it the next day when you wake up sore.

If polishing vertical panels i.e. the doors, have your step platform handy so you can sit on it while polishing. Or maybe you can use a creeper stool, anything beats trying to lean over or crouch down while polishing because that will wear you out in a hurry, leading to you slowing down and taking longer than you should on a job. Work smart.Tips to cut down on time
    what sort of step platform are you using?

Post Thanks / Like

I now have a power washer, gorilla platform which I basically stole from home depot and a decent craftsman mechanics stool
    Bill 1234

Post Thanks / Like

Tips to cut down on time

Quote Originally Posted by mwoywod View Post
    what sort of step platform are you using?
    These ones. They’re worth bringing along to mobile jobs even if you’re not working on a tall vehicle because not only can you sit on them while polishing, but you can use them as a substitute detailing cart to set things down on.

10. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

yes, I posted that here and people went wild for them for being 40 dollars off on black friday
    Bill 1234

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill1234 View Post
    yes, I posted that here and people went wild for them for being 40 dollars off on black friday
    I got one those as a Christmas gift based on your post I believe I used it a few weeks ago for the first time. It was awesome

Post Thanks / Like

To start with don't accept work or at least give a quote before you have seen the car with you own eyes. Then you quote accordingly to the time you think it takes.

Have your products dialed in for the different tasks that you can be faced with. Iron remover and tar remover and bug remover that is effective is time savers too. And to have clay alternatives cuts down the claying time alot. The new GG BOSS foaming system seems promesing with both prep work and decon washes.

The detailing eqiupment you seem to have dialed in. You can get so you don't have to move them from side to side. Which could save a little time. And the little things ads up to when you have finished the work.

The polishing part you have gotten awesome tips on already

14. Likes DaveT435 liked this post
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast