autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Claying experiences?

Just wanted some feedback from forum people... for those who clay once or more times per year, do you gather much dirt/contaminants?

I Clayed my 2004 TSX for the first time ever last spring. I got a decent amount of crud on the bar, but not as much as I expected for a 13 year old car that was never decon’d before.

ive since clayed my wife’s 2016 (you can tell who gets to drive the new stuff in this household) twice, not much going on there besides when I went over some paint splatter she drove over and sprayed the passenger side wheel area.

As I clay the TSX right now, I’m getting almost nothing off... to the point that I’m questioning why I’m taking the time to clay.

Does anyone else yield very little/almost no results from claying? I’m using both a bar and a mitt and neither is getting anything besides maybe one pull per panel.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Claying experiences?

I don't have the experience to properly answer your question, but I would think this is ideally what you want. I had a similar experience recently and just figured "it's a new car, garage kept, and in a non industrial area".

3. Thanks acuRAS82 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddersdetailing View Post
    I've been looking for information on microfiber pad coverage areas... when removing oxidation on boats and even heavy cutting on a car am i using the same mindset behind the foam pads which would be a pad for the hood, and break it up by sections etc etc or can i cover more surface area with these? i have a couple GG microfibers and i tried one on my extended cab door on the pickup and cleaned it after i was done before i went on to the drivers door just as i would any foam pad. It seems after i cleaned it with air and a tool it was ready to go more so than a foam pad after finishing a hood on a car..Keeping a close eye ensuring no product has dried on them or saturation. thanks!
    You're using the wrong test to tell if you're getting above bonded contaminants off your vehicle. Just because your claybar doesn't look dirty doesn't mean it's not grabbing above bonded contaminants and removing them from the surface.

The tests you want to be using is the baggie test:
    The Baggie Test - How to inspect for above surface bonded contaminants

What you need to do is first inspect the paint by rubbing your hand on it, feels smooth? Now put your hand in a sandwich bag and rub it on the paint gently. The baggie will allow you to feel all the above bonded contaminants. Clay the surface area, gently until the clay is smooth over the surface, then do the baggie test again.

Do not drive yourself insane trying to get 100% smoothness. Remember, removing most of the above bonded contaminants using clay increases smoothness, and leaves less "gunk" for your polishing pads to pickup. Smoothness is what creates gloss.

Hope this helps!

5. Thanks peyloan thanked for this post
    Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by acuRAS82 View Post
    Just wanted some feedback from forum people... for those who clay once or more times per year, do you gather much dirt/contaminants?

I Clayed my 2004 TSX for the first time ever last spring. I got a decent amount of crud on the bar, but not as much as I expected for a 13 year old car that was never decon’d before.

ive since clayed my wife’s 2016 (you can tell who gets to drive the new stuff in this household) twice, not much going on there besides when I went over some paint splatter she drove over and sprayed the passenger side wheel area.

As I clay the TSX right now, I’m getting almost nothing off... to the point that I’m questioning why I’m taking the time to clay.

Does anyone else yield very little/almost no results from claying? I’m using both a bar and a mitt and neither is getting anything besides maybe one pull per panel.
    Do the baggie test... put your hand inside a plastic sandwich bag and run it across the paint... you'll feel any contaminants on top or not....but most likely you will.

But I only clay when I'm compounding or polishing afterwards. No need to, imho, otherwise. When I do I use a clay mitt. I can usually feel any contaminants on paint and I can also hear a different sound. Really.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LSNAutoDetailing View Post
    You're using the wrong test to tell if you're getting above bonded contaminants off your vehicle. Just because your claybar doesn't look dirty doesn't mean it's not grabbing above bonded contaminants and removing them from the surface.

The tests you want to be using is the baggie test:
    I respectfully disagree. I sometimes find the opposite to be true, meaning I’ve had numerous vehicles that actually pass the baggie test, but when I went ahead and did a test spot it turned out to have a bunch of crud coming off onto the claybar.

Not all contaminants are created equal, generally they’re able to be felt on the surface when doing a baggie test, but sometimes they’re not yet the paint is still in desperate need of a claying. IME this is sometimes the case when I run into a vehicle that somehow passes the baggie test yet I know it’s too good to be true because it’s probably never been clayed in its life.

8. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Since we’re talking about claying... I polished a black Infinity yesterday. I wasn’t able to do a baggie test due to the car being dirty then wet after the bucket wash [I hate how that gets in the way of being able to do a baggie test] But either ways I was sure this car needed to get clayed so left it wet and began claying with a Med Grade Nanoskin Mitt and the paint was crazy loaded with contaminants.

Even with a Med Grade Mitt it took a while before the paint became smooth and it was so bad that I almost felt like it was too much for the mitt and taking precious life away from it.

So I decided to try my old claymitt in certain areas... I prepped at night and when I woke up yesterday morning to continue on the car I noticed some areas were extremely marred. I was like what the heck happened here? Then I remembered I had used my old claymitt on those spots. Lol. The rest of the car had no marring thanks to my new mitt being well taken care of.Claying experiences?

Check out the difference between the mitts. I use the old mitt to clay windows.

10. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I do the baggie test on my car about once a quarter i.e. about every 3 months. I wash it weekly and find I need to clay every 6 months. Its a daily driven vehicle.

Post Thanks / Like

The Baggie test will determine if you need to clay or not.
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by acuRAS82;1582631
    Just wanted some feedback from
    forum people... do you gather much
    dirt/contaminants?

As I clay the TSX right now,
    I’m getting almost nothing off...

Does anyone else yield very little/almost
    no results from claying? I’m using both a
    bar and a mitt and neither is getting any-
    thing besides maybe one pull per panel.
    When I Clay...(and even if the Claying
    process doesn’t result in getting more
    than one pull per panel; not gather much
    dirt/contaminants; getting almost nothing
    off)...the other result from Claying that I
    look for is the highly anticipated increase
    in the amount of gloss of the paint surface.

After all:
    •Gloss comes from a smooth surface.
    -One way to create a smooth surface
    is via the Claying process.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

14. Likes LSNAutoDetailing liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1500canoe View Post
    I don't have the experience to properly answer your question, but I would think this is ideally what you want. I had a similar experience recently and just figured "it's a new car, garage kept, and in a non industrial area".

there is some truth to this. All cars are exposed differently. I think the test is the most important answer, however you should know how often you drive, your climate and where it's kept. Perhaps you still need to clay, just not as frequently as some do. It's like pool chemicals, I can't tell you exactly what your pool needs until I test it first
    2009 Pontiac G8GT
    2015 Ford Explorer Limited
    2019 Chevy Silverado RST Z71

16. Likes PaulMys liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast