autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Homeowners Association and Home Based Auto Detailing Business

I hope this is the right area for this question. I own and operate a part time auto detailing business like many do here. Volume is a car every weekend if possible. I'm currently looking at a new property that will have HOA and was planning on continuing the part time work. Like a good neighbor, it wouldn't cause traffic nor do I work at odd hours that would disturb other neighbors. If anything, I operate behind garage doors. My question for those that are in similar situations that abide by the covenants, conditions and restrictions of HOA, would it be good decision to proceed with the property purchase or should I avoid the HOA headaches altogether?

Just a man wanting to purchase his dream property and be able to continue doing what he's passionate about.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Homeowners Association and Home Based Auto Detailing Business

Well, at the very least, you need to get a copy of the HOA rules and covenants and read them. That will tell you whether restrictions exist for operating a private business, parking, water usage, etc.....

I'm actually a board member in my HOA and it is quite surprising how many people buy a home and don't read that important document. They just assume that it doesn't matter and then wonder why it is causing problems for them later on.

Buying a home is a very important decision. You want to know as much as possible about all aspects of living there (city rules, county rules, taxes, noise, neighborhood, schools, traffic, HOA's, etc....). This for sure would include HOA rules that might impact how you live. Good luck!

3. Thanks KBsToy thanked for this post
    Likes DetailedByPrecision, KBsToy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

1. Very good advice from @damonb10..... read the potential HOA rules.

2. IF you have other options, I'd opt for a non-HOA dwelling... but that is just my preference. if you love the place than by all means go for it!
    2022 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon • 2021 Ford Ranger Lariat •2016 Alfa Romeo 4C Spider • 2006 Buell Lightning-Bolt • 2004 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

5. Likes dlc95 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DetailKitty View Post
    2. IF you have other options, I'd opt for a non-HOA dwelling... but that is just my preference. if you love the place than by all means go for it!
    Owned a home in a HOA once, never again.

7. Thanks POPPAJ thanked for this post
    Likes dlc95, RiverDog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

so in my case i can apply to do business out of my home but i need to be vetted by certain places one to be a fire insp, taht involes be getting all the MSDS for every item i use for approval, well its looking like i wont be able to use some of my favorite items or not be able do detail from my home at all and stay mobile.

Post Thanks / Like

Or just not tell them?

Post Thanks / Like

i advise against this... highly

Post Thanks / Like

I live in an HOA community and it's in Southern California...even worse! LOL You need to read the CC&R's of the HOA.

Mine SPECIFICALLY STATES that a bucket wash is OK! Woo Hoo! That being said, I will do a regular wash at times and til this day 11 years and counting, no one has complained as MOST of my neighbors do the same thing. The other MAIN thing I am happy about, what's inside your property (such as in your garage) you can do anything within reason. One of my neighbors has a lathe and saw and just as long as it's in his garage and at reasonable hours (not 12 midnight) it's OK. Just think of it as what would you accept with in reason without causing a ruckus.

I usually compound and polish in my garage. I use a RINSELESS WASH most of the time. I detail a lot of rides for a hobby and my neighbors come over many times to see what type of rides I am detailing. My last detail was a 1963 Corvette. Additionally, MOST of my neighbors are pretty cool and that HELPS tremendously!

So the BOTTOM LINE: I would highly recommend reading the CC&R's (HOA Rules) of washing a car. In my neighborhood, PARKING in non designated areas is the big no no and their main concern.

BTW, I use my Flex 3401 MOST of the time and I know it is a pretty loud DA, however, no complaints so far. I hope you can detail your rides like I can.

Let us know the outcome if you do decide to move their.
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Post Thanks / Like

You need to review the documents closely. Talk to HOA if possible, be honest and explain your intentions to them. Ask about the last 18 months of HOA violations. That will let you know how to proceed.

Our old FL place had a HOA president that worked from home and it was his mission to ticket everyone for anything. He lived to put neon orange stickers on drivers side windows & call tow trucks. We knew at least 1x/qtr we would get fined for our lawn guys being parked too long or spilling grass on a side walk. We sold the place after 2 years of the excess rules.

Our current ski house is part of an HOA but, they are pretty chill. They make sure our place always has the snow cleared out and parking gate & access always works. When we need something they are responsive and solicit input from the owners on how to handle matters. In this case the HOA works great.

Just proceed carefully and make sure you really understand the rules.

Post Thanks / Like

We operate in SoCal and we do TONS of gated communities, including communities like Bear Creek with very strict rules. So far, nobody has said a word about us showing up to do a detail. We try not to start too early or work too late, we keep our stuff tidy and we don't infringe on anybody else's property while we're doing it. That being said, I'd guess they have rules about running a business out of the garage, but that's just a guess.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast