autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Dr. Color Chip: is this normal?

So I used the dr color chip kit for my black 2017 wrx and the touch up paint doesn't seem to blend too well as seen in the pics below.

Would this be considered normal for the doctor color chip kit or should I reach out to the company?

The touch up paint are those matte gray spots in the middle of the picture.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dr. Color Chip: is this normal?

Doesn't even look close. Send them the picture and see what they say.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    Yeah those were my thoughts. Definitely disappointed. Its over the 60 days but I haven't gotten a chance to use the kit since buying it. Maybe I got a bad batch. One thing to note, it looks decent wet and when rubbing the sealact but as soon as it dries it looks like this.

Post Thanks / Like

It almost looks like primer.

Mike Phillips

That doesn't look right.

How long are you letting the touch-up paint dry before rubbing the Sealact over it?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    That doesn't look right.

How long are you letting the touch-up paint dry before rubbing the Sealact over it?

I believe for my attempts I usually would rub the sealact after 5 to 15 minutes.

Post Thanks / Like

I could be wrong about this, but here are my thoughts. Maybe I'm right, or on the right track.

One quality of a couple of Dr Colorchip's paints I myself have bought and used are a seeming propensity of looking a good bit on the "flat-dull" side.

Meaning there is little to none in the way of clear pigment being added into the paint formulas. Your comments about noting that the paint looks better when still wet or wetted with the Sealact Solution seems to confirm this.

My guess is that the Dr. Colorchip Paint Formulas need to largely consist of color pigment, otherwise they'd have no ability to hide a chip and the underlying primer, that you'd still be seeing such primer even when after a numerous number of coats have been applied to fill.

Perhaps somebody, perhaps a company representative from Dr. CC can elaborate on this some more, and that my guess again would be that once a sealant, or a wax, or a coating is applied, this dullish look is then lessened, and will give the touch up repair some more gloss.

When I first used the Dr Colorchip System a few years back on my White Tahoe, about a good week after doing the chip repair I did polish the vehicle, came back again to do some minor finessing of possibly removing some of the paint during the polishing processes, and did many of them again, then I prepped and coated the entire vehicle with Carpro CQuartz UK.

I'm of the thought that the coating helped lay down a top coating of a good amount of gloss to these touched up areas, and helping them blend and match the factory finish much better.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post

Also agree with this. I've used quite a bit of doctor Colorchip. The color should be much closer. This may seem like a stupid question, but did you shake it real good before you started?
    2015 F-150 Crew Cab Lariat
    2016 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DaveT435 View Post
    Also agree with this. I've used quite a bit of doctor Colorchip. The color should be much closer. This may seem like a stupid question, but did you shake it real good before you started?
    Oh yes, I gave a ton of good shakes Dr. Color Chip: is this normal? and I also used the supplied extra brush to mix the bottle for the metallic flakes per the instructions. Could there be something on the car that causes it turn that color? I dont know what it would be though.

Post Thanks / Like

Not correct...

Just did mine in black. If you left some paint on surface of paint---It'll look like that. You need to remove all of dr color chip paint from surface of paint outside of the chip.

Another thing---you have to be really be careful with blending agent. It separates less than a couple of minutes. Need to shake well before applying on towel.

Go ahead and remove it. Try again. I had to do mine 4 or 5 times before I got the hang of it.

Tom
    Mr Tommy's
    Wash, Buff, Wax

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast