autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question McKee's 37 vs BLACKFIRE: who owns each and which is better?

Question: Who owns McKee's 37, and who owns BLACKFIRE? I thought PBMG owned both, but I read on an insert that McKee's is a small business, implying that they are not held by PBMG, even if their products are sold on Autogeek.

And on a similar note, which line is "better"? Subjective I know, but I tend to pick a brand/system and stick with it. I've been using a few M37 products and like them a lot, but I have read great things about BLACKFIRE One Step, and the Wet Ice Over Fire system (plus BlackFire's line looks more "complete"). If McKee's is truly a small business vs BLACKFIRE being corporate owned, I would take that into consideration as well.

Thanks for your input and perspectives in advance!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: McKee's 37 vs BLACKFIRE: who owns each and which is better?

In terms of ownership, my original understanding is that PBMG is the owner of both. However, my gut tells me I’m wrong.

On the other hand, what’s your goal as a detailer?

As a professional, M37 seems well-rounded as a complete line especially for a production detailer.

I don’t own any Blackfire—so no comment there.

Dan Tran
    Car Detailing in Maine and NH - Paint Polishing and Car Care

Post Thanks / Like

Robert “Bob” McKee is the founder and former owner of Palm Beach Motoring Accessories, the parent company of autogeek.net, and the founder and CEO of McKee’s 37 Car Care. McKee’s 37 is a Stuart, Florida-based manufacturer of fine automotive surface care products, and also includes McKee’s RV, a line created specifically for the unique surface care needs of RVs and motor coaches. Although Bob is largely credited with the success of Autogeek and McKee’s 37, he credits much of that success to his team and the many relationships forged along the way.

Early Life
    Bob grew up in Fords, New Jersey. After graduating high school, he started as a concessionaire on the beloved Seaside Heights Boardwalk. He spent 15 years on the boardwalk, first working his way through college, then as an owner/operator of six concession stands. In 1984, when the winters became too much, Bob relocated to Jupiter, Florida and opened a franchise of The Driver’s Seat, an auto accessory store. The Driver’s Seat was a success for Bob, and he eventually came to own five additional franchise locations in Stuart, Boynton Beach, Wellington, Boca Raton, and West Palm Beach. Bob maintained ownership of The Driver’s Seat locations until the early 2000s.

McKee’s 37
    Wayne Carini and Bob McKee shake hands on the concoursIn 2016, Bob sold Palm Beach Motoring to Tony George of the Vision Investments Group. Tony is the chairman of the the board of Hulman & Company, which owns and operates the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, also known as “the Brickyard.” In fact, the Hulman-George family not only owns the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, but also the Indy Racing League (IRL), and several other holdings throughout Indiana. The sale of Palm Beach Motoring allows Bob to focus on his namesake brand, McKee’s 37, as well as providing the time necessary for broadening his support with other Christian-based organizations such as Teen Challenge and Barry Meguiar’s Revival Outside the Walls.

During his tenure in the car care industry, Bob developed some of the top brands in automotive surface care. These include Pinnacle Natural Brilliance, Pinnacle XMT, Pinnacle Black Label, Wolfgang Concours-Series Car Care, BLACKFIRE Car Care, Detailer’s Pride, and Marine 31. All of that research and development led Bob to develop a line of products he felt confident putting his name on: McKee’s 37, the complete line of world-class waxes, cleaners and polishes that easily holds its own with any product on the market. Thanks to advancements in surface care enhancement technology, the McKee’s 37 team of chemists was able to develop an affordable line of products that offers world-class performance. Each and every formula in the McKee’s 37 line is worthy of being used on the world’s finest show cars, but still obtainable for the everyday driver.

4. Thanks PaulMys, JustJesus thanked for this post
    Likes PaulMys, jmnral, Route246 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Tran View Post
    On the other hand, what’s your goal as a detailer?

As a professional, M37 seems well-rounded as a complete line especially for a production detailer.
    Great Question. I'm a hobbyist detailer with some friends and family who like my work and want work done to their cars. I am not a pro and not in business for myself.

I'm close to the end of my bottle of M37 360, and I'm trying to decide if I want to keep building out my system with M37, or if I should try BLACKFIRE One Step and possibly move to BLACKFIRE's system. That's why I'm interested in how each is owned, and also the quality and thoroughness of each line. The cost for M37 vs BLACKFIRE One Step per ounce is virtually identical.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WaxMaster1 View Post
    Robert “Bob” McKee is the founder and former owner of Palm Beach Motoring Accessories, the parent company of autogeek.net, and the founder and CEO of McKee’s 37 Car Care. McKee’s 37 is a Stuart, Florida-based manufacturer of fine automotive surface care products, and also includes McKee’s RV, a line created specifically for the unique surface care needs of RVs and motor coaches. Although Bob is largely credited with the success of Autogeek and McKee’s 37, he credits much of that success to his team and the many relationships forged along the way.

Early Life
    Bob grew up in Fords, New Jersey. After graduating high school, he started as a concessionaire on the beloved Seaside Heights Boardwalk. He spent 15 years on the boardwalk, first working his way through college, then as an owner/operator of six concession stands. In 1984, when the winters became too much, Bob relocated to Jupiter, Florida and opened a franchise of The Driver’s Seat, an auto accessory store. The Driver’s Seat was a success for Bob, and he eventually came to own five additional franchise locations in Stuart, Boynton Beach, Wellington, Boca Raton, and West Palm Beach. Bob maintained ownership of The Driver’s Seat locations until the early 2000s.

McKee’s 37
    Wayne Carini and Bob McKee shake hands on the concoursIn 2016, Bob sold Palm Beach Motoring to Tony George of the Vision Investments Group. Tony is the chairman of the the board of Hulman & Company, which owns and operates the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, also known as “the Brickyard.” In fact, the Hulman-George family not only owns the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, but also the Indy Racing League (IRL), and several other holdings throughout Indiana. The sale of Palm Beach Motoring allows Bob to focus on his namesake brand, McKee’s 37, as well as providing the time necessary for broadening his support with other Christian-based organizations such as Teen Challenge and Barry Meguiar’s Revival Outside the Walls.

During his tenure in the car care industry, Bob developed some of the top brands in automotive surface care. These include Pinnacle Natural Brilliance, Pinnacle XMT, Pinnacle Black Label, Wolfgang Concours-Series Car Care, BLACKFIRE Car Care, Detailer’s Pride, and Marine 31. All of that research and development led Bob to develop a line of products he felt confident putting his name on: McKee’s 37, the complete line of world-class waxes, cleaners and polishes that easily holds its own with any product on the market. Thanks to advancements in surface care enhancement technology, the McKee’s 37 team of chemists was able to develop an affordable line of products that offers world-class performance. Each and every formula in the McKee’s 37 line is worthy of being used on the world’s finest show cars, but still obtainable for the everyday driver.
    Jesus, Chris.

Come with a little more factual info next time............

Awesome post, my man.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    Jesus, Chris.

Awesome post, my man.
    I had read that info- but it doesn't answer my question unfortunately. Bob McKee may be able to 'focus on his namesake brand", but is M37 privately owned, or simply a division of PBMG (or some other entity)? The insert I read said that buying directly from the M37 site helps to support a small family business, which would imply it is not owned by PBMG. Can anyone comment on this point (and/or compare the M37 line to BLACKFIRE)?

Post Thanks / Like

You can look all of this up on the Florida State department website if you want a concrete answer. PBMG was acquired in 2016 but I don't know the ins and outs of anything or how it's all structured and wouldn't want to speculate.

I can say between the two lines I've never used a bad product; I've still enjoyed McKee's stuff more overall. It's very easy to use and usually priced a bit better for my liking. I do personally lump M37 products in with other pbmg offerings just because it reminds me of the old detailer's pro line, but that could very well be the wrong thing to do. I go by Mike P's adage of "Find something you like and use it often" and then I don't worry about anything else. It really uncomplicates things in an industry that is continuing to evolve at a breakneck pace.

9. Thanks SwedishRider thanked for this post
    Likes SwedishRider liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I believe Bob took M37 with him when he sold PBMG, but with a friendly agreement that McKee’s remains in the AG building. Hence, Mckees being the small business now while Blackfire remains under the PBMG umbrella.

Note: I recall reading this when the ownership change occurred, but don’t hate me if my memory has an error or two in it.

11. Likes Senasqua liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SwedishRider View Post
    I had read that info- but it doesn't answer my question unfortunately. Bob McKee may be able to 'focus on his namesake brand", but is M37 privately owned, or simply a division of PBMG (or some other entity)? The insert I read said that buying directly from the M37 site helps to support a small family business, which would imply it is not owned by PBMG. Can anyone comment on this point (and/or compare the M37 line to BLACKFIRE)?
    Bob McKee started and owns McKee's 37. It is not owned by PBMG, but sure, they sell it. What other info are you looking for? Both lines are good, I have various products from each but I lean towards McKee's 37 because I've met Bob and Nick Rutter and they are class acts!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    Jesus, Chris.

Awesome post, my man.
    Dang, Paul, thanks but I'm not that good. LOL. I just cut and pasted. I hope you don't think less of me now.

14. Likes oneheadlite, PaulMys liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast