autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Help me identify defect and best solution to resolve

Quote Originally Posted by LSNAutoDetailing View Post
    I've seen this before with rock chips or something other than a rock FOD (foreign object damage) where the FOD hit at such and angle and velocity it actually caused a bit of halo due to debris breaking apart on impact, and instead of removing paint, actually pushed the paint up a bit.
    Well that sounds nasty. Interestingly, the local township is in the process of repaving the main cross street by my house and I've been driving on loose rock and dust every other day for three weeks. My guess is, something got kicked up.

Assuming your guess is correct, what would be the best way to handle? Can it be corrected or should I leave it alone?

Post Thanks / Like

That could be from a loose tarmac stone that has chipped your paint. When you have meet another car that slinged it away. It could explain the halo around the spot. If the clearcoat was gotten penetrated and some of the solvents in the tar caused the halo. But just a thought. Cause have not seen anything like it before. Don't do anything to before you know if you could get anything from the city to get the damage solved. I would contact them and see if that is possible or if you have an insurance that you could use. If it's clearcoat damage a repaint is necessary to get it fixed.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SWETM View Post
    That could be from a loose tarmac stone that has chipped your paint. When you have meet another car that slinged it away. It could explain the halo around the spot. If the clearcoat was gotten penetrated and some of the solvents in the tar caused the halo. But just a thought. Cause have not seen anything like it before. Don't do anything to before you know if you could get anything from the city to get the damage solved. I would contact them and see if that is possible or if you have an insurance that you could use. If it's clearcoat damage a repaint is necessary to get it fixed.
    Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, there is no chance the state or township will pay a claim on this. I can't prove negligence since the township was in the process of repaving the road. Even though they removed the old surface three weeks ago and still haven't resurfaced it, it would have to be like this for months before I could even consider filing a claim.

The defect is really small, but I see it every time I wipe down the panel. I don't think it makes sense to have the door repainted yet; I've only owned the car for a month.

Post Thanks / Like

Do it look like tar in the center of the spot? You could test with a tar remover followed by clay if necessary. If you want to do something to it. Be carefull if there is a little stone in the spot. So after the tar remover has dwelled enough rinse it off with a strong water pressure. Inspect what happened and how the spot looks afterwards. If you see a benefit to claying it do so. And maybe a fine polish to see if the halo gets off. You could have to step up in aggressiveness also. But if it is some paint damage as it's gone through the clearcoat I would not clay or polish. Before you are ready to repaint the panel. It's all about how the damage looks. It could be worth to only fill it with some touch up paint.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12