autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Trouble seeing swirls. Scangrip.

Hi,

I know there are are some other posts on swirl finding, but I was hoping I could get some help walking through my situation.

i have two 2017 Honda’s, one in White with metallic flakes and one in Silver with metallic flakes. I can see swirls in the sunlight but I was having trouble seeing them under any flashlight or portable light I own. Due to this, when I polished my paint, I was unable to see my progress. Once done, in the sunlight I could see small swirl marks from not finishing down in certain areas, and in some areas I could see light scratches that I didn't fully correct.

I bought the Scangrip kit, hoping that this would show me the paint imperfections so that I could polish my paint with better results. Even with the Scangrip I still can’t see anything. I have tried several different angles and distances with the lights. I have tried it at night with a totally dark garage.

At certain angles I can faintly pick out some swirls but it’s so faint I can barely see it. In the sun they definitely stand out though.

I have been detailing as an as an enthusiast for over ten years now, so I have some moderate exerience. These cars are new to me, and this is my first time trying to polish them out after owning them for a year as daily drivers. I have never had problems like this on my previously owned cars, or friends cars.

Any suggestions? Hopefully you guys can walk me through this, I know it has to be a technique issue.

Pics are attached.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Trouble seeing swirls. Scangrip.-img_1557-jpg   Trouble seeing swirls. Scangrip.-img_1563-jpg   Trouble seeing swirls. Scangrip.-img_1565-jpg   Trouble seeing swirls. Scangrip.-img_1564-jpg   Trouble seeing swirls. Scangrip.-img_1573-jpg   Trouble seeing swirls. Scangrip.-img_1566-jpg   Trouble seeing swirls. Scangrip.-img_1570-jpg  

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Trouble seeing swirls. Scangrip.

Also.. I would take a pic in the sun but its been cloudy all week.

Thanks!

3. Thanks Jayro83 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Silver and white, especially Pearls are always tough for me...I have a daily driverRX350 in Pearl White, it hides things very well. AS you are noticing with your cars. Honestly if they are daily drivers, try not to worry about every single swirl or scratch, they'll get some beating being on the roads daily. Hard to keep up.

Have you tried detailing in the sun, with sun friendly products to better see while you work?
    Back to the full-time grind.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for the reply. I am not too concerned with getting it 100% corrected. I do like getting a good result when I polish though. The problem is, that I can't get it to the finish I want because I can't see what I am doing. I have not detailed in the sun yet with these cars (although I have polished cars in the sun before).

That being said..

I was hoping, that since I invested so much money in the Scangrip's that maybe I could get some help detecting the imperfections with them. My whole purpose in buying them was so that I would have the proper lighting to expose the defects. I spent a pretty penny on them. If I can't get them to perform the way I want I will probably just return the Scangrip kit. But I think it is more likely a user/personal experience issue than it is an issue with the product itself.

Post Thanks / Like

There is no replacement for that huge light in the sky. It reveals all... LED lights help, but what you're experiencing is an issue with how light is refracting. Swirls and scratches in the paint will refract light in different ways.
    When dealing with metallic paints, such as yours the lights reflect off the paint and depth and clarity. Try this... scangrip has lower levels, try using a low level LED from a distance (perhaps on a stand) and then adjust your angle so the light isn't reflecting off the car directly into your eyes.

Aside from the colors, you have two Hondas. Notorious for soft paint. You may have done a wonderful job polishing, factor in the man-made light refraction, and then you wipe the panel, pull it into the sun and see swirls.

I have a Silver Metalic Mustang, and an enamel red Mustang. Even with my Scangrip lights, the only true way to see defects is in the sun. As mentioned there are sun safe (to a point...) friendly polishes and compounds. Griots BOSS lineup is one of them. But at some point you're going to be spending more time chasing swirls and scratches than actually enjoying life. Last year I polished and coated my Honda Fit. To the layman, it looks awesome, to me, I feel I could take a day and redo it... Then I say "na...." there are more important things for me to do... Like use the Fit to take my two greyhounds to a park instead...

7. Likes The Guz, Hammer77 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Good post. I own both a silver and white car. Another thing that helps is turning the lights off in the garage and then using the scangrip to inspect. Holding the light further from the surface helps a lot rather than holding it close which will wash out the painted surface.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Good post. I own both a silver and white car. Another thing that helps is turning the lights off in the garage and then using the scangrip to inspect. Holding the light further from the surface helps a lot rather than holding it close which will wash out the painted surface.
    Thanks for the advice.

I have been holding them at about a 2-3' distance. I took a picture of me holding the Sunmatch 2 light so you could see the distance I am at.

In my troubleshooting I have tried several angles. When I tried the other night I had all lights off in the garage, it was totally dark. Also, these are the generation 2, so I have done both cold and warm settings and I have done it with several different brightnesses as well.

I am not saying I can't see anything at all, because in certain spots and at certain angles I vaguely can. Its just so difficult that it would be unreasonable to polish the car and really see what I am doing, and they definitely don't stand out like they do at noon on a sunny day.

I won't loose too much sleep over it, because really if they don't work the way I want I will just return them and save myself a pretty penny. Sounds like from some other posts so far, maybe they won't mimic the sun as much as I thought they would.

That being said, they are very nice tools. If there is a way I can get them to work the way I want (or train myself to be able to see what I want with them) I would love to keep them.

Post Thanks / Like

I have the same light kit as you, and use them. Trying to expect an expensive LED light, which the Scangrip is by far the best and purest lights I've ever used, to mimic the sun, is a very high expectation.
    The only other thing you could try is go to a big box hardware store, and get one of those stand-alone Halogen work lights (not LED). They throw a tremendous amount of incontinence light and a lot of heat too!
    As said above, you're working on Honda's with soft paint. Just lightly taking a MF towel will induce swirls and scratches. It's my love/hate relation ship with Honda. Quality is excellent, cost of ownership is low, paint is easy to correct, paint is easy to mar.

Now, one thing that hasn't been mentioned (because we've been chasing after the lighting issue is...) perhaps it's not the lighting. What products are you using? What machine, what pads, how often are you changing out your pads, what products are you comping when doing your test spots?

11. Likes DetailedByPrecision liked this post
    Super Member DetailedByPrecision's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Agree wit Paul on the halogen lights. Always good to have a variety of different light sources anyways.

Click on image to view work

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LSNAutoDetailing View Post
    I have the same light kit as you, and use them. Trying to expect an expensive LED light, which the Scangrip is by far the best and purest lights I've ever used, to mimic the sun, is a very high expectation.
    The only other thing you could try is go to a big box hardware store, and get one of those stand-alone Halogen work lights (not LED). They throw a tremendous amount of incontinence light and a lot of heat too!
    As said above, you're working on Honda's with soft paint. Just lightly taking a MF towel will induce swirls and scratches. It's my love/hate relation ship with Honda. Quality is excellent, cost of ownership is low, paint is easy to correct, paint is easy to mar.

Now, one thing that hasn't been mentioned (because we've been chasing after the lighting issue is...) perhaps it's not the lighting. What products are you using? What machine, what pads, how often are you changing out your pads, what products are you comping when doing your test spots?
    Pictures say a thousand word right? I attached some pics of my equipment. Is this light in the pic what your referring to?

That is what I used before my recent purchase of the Scangrip. I have used that light countless times on several cars, but on these new ones it wasn't cutting it.

Also I put some pics of my polishing equipment. I get better results with the urofiber and HD speed on the White car. The mini-griots I use just to get into the smaller areas.

I have been using these polishers for about 10-years about, so I do have some decent experience with them as a enthusiast.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Trouble seeing swirls. Scangrip.-img_1574-jpg   Trouble seeing swirls. Scangrip.-img_1575-jpg   Trouble seeing swirls. Scangrip.-img_1576-jpg   Trouble seeing swirls. Scangrip.-img_1577-jpg   Trouble seeing swirls. Scangrip.-img_1578-jpg   Trouble seeing swirls. Scangrip.-img_1580-jpg  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast