autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

Decontamination necessary before applying wax?

Over the weekend I did a thorough two-bucket wash on my GTI, followed by Meg's Ultimate Fast Finish. Today I did quick waterless wash with Wolfgang Uber since there was only a light dusting on the car. I thought later tonight when I get back from class and it's cooled down a bit I might do a Collinite 845 application, just to unwind.

Anyway, the car is fairly new and I haven't done any sort of decon since I bought it a few weeks back. I haven't touch-tested the paint, but it would surprise me if it didn't need a mild clay bar or Nanoskin rub. Should I hold off with the 845 until after I've done some form of decon?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Decontamination necessary before applying wax?

You sealed in the contaminates under the Ultimate Fast finish when it was applied. The decon really should have happened before it was applied. At this point, I'd just give the car a good wash and apply the 845. Any decon step at this point would be on the layer of Fast Finish and not the paint.

Also keep in mind the marring which might result from claying. From my experience using a mild clay is far less risky than a Nanoskin pad, but there is still risk. I never clay unless I'm going to polish afterwards.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

3. Likes 6od liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    You sealed in the contaminates under the Ultimate Fast finish when it was applied. The decon really should have happened before it was applied. At this point, I'd just give the car a good wash and apply the 845. Any decon step at this point would be on the layer of Fast Finish and not the paint.
    I guess I hadn't considered that.

I suppose if I really want to decontaminate the actual paint, I can wait until the Fast Finish wears down.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mightypudge View Post
    I haven't done any sort of decon since I bought it a few weeks back.
    What decon did you do a few weeks back?? Iron-X & Clay? If so, you should be fine... Typically I don't clay unless I'm prepared to do some form of correction and that is usually annually. I think you should be fine with the 845 application.

6. Likes 6od liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I tried an 'out-of-the box' method this past weekend on a black Toyota Camry. The car was seriously needing to be clay barred and being soft Toyota paint, it of course did get marred. I like to call it 'clay rash' more than marring since it doesn't look like fine lines, more like the 'road rash' you get on your leg when you fall off your bike or something.

Well, I like using that Meguiar's Wash Plus+ prep wash as part of my prepping. I usually use it after a degreasing wash, but before clay barring. I start prepping cars for polishing with a super strong degreasing wash mix twice, Meg's Wash Plus+, then clay bar, then 1 more degreasing wash after clay barring. I am convinced that there is nothing left on the paint. I don't care what anyone says, that paint is stripped clean. No surfactant BS. Don't post any links to videos of a chunk of wax sitting in a bottle of IPA or APC either. I've seen them all

For kicks I tried using the Meg's Wash Plus+ after the clay barring on a section of the hood. The Wash Plus+ has a small amount of abrasives in it (kaolin clay I think). I worked that section by hand with a MF mitt in small circular motions and then rinsed. It did a pretty good job of removing the 'clay rash' considering it was black paint. You could tell that that section looked different than the surrounding areas.

Obviously with hard paint it won't be able to do much, but for those without the tools and products to polish your paint afterwards. This could be an easier way to remove that clay marring then trying to hand polish afterwards.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LSNAutoDetailing View Post
    What decon did you do a few weeks back?? Iron-X & Clay? If so, you should be fine... Typically I don't clay unless I'm prepared to do some form of correction and that is usually annually. I think you should be fine with the 845 application.
    Ah, let me rephrase. I bought the car a few weeks back and haven't done any sort of decon at all.

Like you, I am of the mindset to leave decon for when I am planning to do some form of correction. Right now, I don't think I need that. I just want to keep the car protected from pollen and grass clippings until winter nears. Before the harsh weather is upon us I will probably try a sealant for the first time. Again, I wasn't planning on doing decon ahead of that.