autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Lake Country pad failure

I've been using Lake Country pads since 2012. I find them to be very durable and they work great. I've mainly been using the orange and green pads. I just bought a pack of 6 and one that I got was the most aggressive (yellow) pad. The 2008 VW Passat that I had this past weekend had extremely hard paint, so I gave it a try. It worked great with M105 and my Porter Cable set to 5.5. I rarely go over 5, but this paint needed some RPM.

I noticed it feeling a tad warm after an hour or so. Then, all of a sudden, the pad flew off the backing plate. I found that the black portion of the pad separated from the rest of the pad. My guess is that the glue warmed up and just let loose.

Has anyone else had this issue? Can I just glue it back, or is there any type of warranty? This is literally the first time I used it and for about 2 hours. Like mentioned above, I still have orange pads from 5+ years ago still going strong, so I was very surprised to see this one come apart.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lake Country pad failure

You used the same pad for an hour straight? Is that what you do with the orange ones?

3. Likes custmsprty liked this post
    SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

I’ve had all 6 of my LC flat yellow 5.5” pads delaminate on me and switched to BnS flat yellow 5.5” without a single pad failure.

Post Thanks / Like

What is the condition of the foam surface? I've had them overheat and shred chunks but never separate. If the surface is pristine and still intact I would say this may be a defective pad.

Post Thanks / Like

If they were being used for more than an hour I bet the pads got too hot and the glue just failed. That seems like overuse, especially at higher RPMs like you mentioned. Heat is the #1 enemy of pads.
    Bruno Soares

7. Likes custmsprty liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

no glue in the world would stand up to those temperatures.

Post Thanks / Like

The heat most certainly killed the pad. The trick is to rotate out your pads every couple of sections.

I have had one white LC Flat Pad separate on me and it was clearly a case of being too hot and the glue let go.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

I've never had the need to run my Porter Cable that high before. I couldn't believe how loud it got after going past a setting of 5. I normally swap out the orange ones after a few panels, but I only have the one yellow and it was doing such a great job of the swirls, that I kept at it.

I already received a PM from a rep at Lake Country offering to replace it for free. Talk about going above and beyond.

Post Thanks / Like

I have had a couple of yellow ccs pads seperate recently. I planned on asking about them next time I order. I have about a dozen yellow, and use a new one for every panel, so heat wasn’t the issue with mine.

Post Thanks / Like

I’ve destroyed a few of the yellow LC Flat pads with my Deutto running them a top speed and over using them when I first started machine polishing.

Mostly sunken centers and one started to delaminate. Definitely user error on my part being inexperienced and pushing them to far, although it does seem to have only happened to the yellow ones.

My white and orange ones have held up well. I really like the orange ones, they are great for one steps with an AIO.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast