autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Need Help w/ Interior Protectant

Ok, so I'm in need of some suggestions on a good interior protectant for my car. I'm currently using a Vinyl, Rubber and Plastic Protectant that gives a satin shine; it states that it's waterproof, however, I'm not sure that's true.

Here's a picture of what it looks like once the protectant is applied, it has a beautiful satin shine to it...

Need Help w/ Interior Protectant-img_1251-jpg

This is my only real area of problem since it is my cup holder area, but once a drop of water or condensation from a cup is dropped or rubbed on it, it looks like this:
    (click on the picture to blow them up to see the spots)

Need Help w/ Interior Protectant-img_1249-jpg

Need Help w/ Interior Protectant-img_1250-jpg

Once I go back over it with the dressing, it goes back to looking like the first picture, however, I would like to not have to use a dressing every time after I have any kind of drink with condensation in my car...

I appreciate any input and or suggestions with my ..... ordeal!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Need Help w/ Interior Protectant

That looks a bit too shiny to me to call satin. What product are you using?

I typically use 303 protectant on my interior vinyl, rubber, plastic, and coated leather and it leaves more of a matte finish with a nice darkening effect and haven't noticed any reactions with water like you are experiencing.

303 Aerospace Protectant, 303 aerospace, 303 protectant, aerospace protectant, 303 products, 303

3. Thanks MissV8der thanked for this post
    Likes MissV8der liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It almost appears that the pigment in the plastics are starting to fade. You could give this a shot: SONAX Plastic Care
    Typically I'll clean with Pinnacle Vinyl Leather cleaner, followed by Pinnacle Vinyl Rubber protectant.

But after reading the Sonax write-up, I'd be inclined to give that a shot for your console.

5. Likes MissV8der liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

McKee's 37 Interior Surface Protectant is a multi-surface shield for your vehicle?s interior. In addition to protectants, McKee's 37 Interior Surface

Has served me well for years. My 6 year old interior plastics still look new. And this also has a light cleaner it. I really see no need to try anything else.

McKee's 37 Interior Surface Protectant penetrates the surface to create an invisible shield that repels WATER and dirt so interior surfaces require less cleaning. In the long run, your vehicle’s seats, door panels, and dashboard will resist aging.
    2018 Colorado ZR2

7. Likes MissV8der liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by damonb10 View Post
    That looks a bit too shiny to me to call satin. What product are you using?

I typically use 303 protectant on my interior vinyl, rubber, plastic, and coated leather and it leaves more of a matte finish with a nice darkening effect and haven't noticed any reactions with water like you are experiencing.

303 Aerospace Protectant, 303 aerospace, 303 protectant, aerospace protectant, 303 products, 303
    I always thought it was a bit on the shinier side to be considered satin as well, and I just read the description of the product and I don't see "Satin" anywhere, so I suppose that was my own addition to the product...oops. It's a Chemical Guys Product called "VRP" and honestly it used to do great for a lot of different stuff, however, I'm not sure if it's a different formula or what, but lately it's done horrible on my interior with streaking and those spots. I will check that out, I have heard positive things about 303 products as well. I'm interested in something that has a darkening effect and that has the UV protection, so Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by LSNAutoDetailing View Post
    It almost appears that the pigment in the plastics are starting to fade. You could give this a shot: SONAX Plastic Care
    Typically I'll clean with Pinnacle Vinyl Leather cleaner, followed by Pinnacle Vinyl Rubber protectant.

But after reading the Sonax write-up, I'd be inclined to give that a shot for your console.
    I thought so too, however, when I use a cleaner type of product on that whole area, it all turns that color. So that led me to believe that those spots are what "protective" product I have on the plastics sort-of washing off. I'm not sure to be honest but it's getting very irritating.
    Thank you for your suggestion, I'll definitely do some research on the Sonax

Post Thanks / Like

Another vote for 303. Or you could try some semi permanent trim coatings

10. Likes MissV8der liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Ultima Interior Guard is pretty awesome too. Nice clean finish, great at repelling water and dust and finger smudges go away with a quick damp microfiber wipe. It's great stuff. Been using it for years.
    Back to the full-time grind.

12. Likes MissV8der liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pro 4x View Post
    McKee's 37 Interior Surface Protectant is a multi-surface shield for your vehicle?s interior. In addition to protectants, McKee's 37 Interior Surface

Has served me well for years. My 6 year old interior plastics still look new. And this also has a light cleaner it. I really see no need to try anything else.

McKee's 37 Interior Surface Protectant penetrates the surface to create an invisible shield that repels WATER and dirt so interior surfaces require less cleaning. In the long run, your vehicle’s seats, door panels, and dashboard will resist aging.
    This is my vote too. I got a sample a couple years ago and I'm hooked. The product has served me well on all my vehicles.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

14. Likes MissV8der liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I am also a fan of 303 as it is a great water based product that does not attract dust. It also leaves a satin finish. I use it on interiors and engine bays. I also use it on steering wheels. It does not leave a slippery finish and it completes the interior.

16. Likes PaulMys, MissV8der liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

303 is great for interiors, just remember that it needs to be applied, and then buffed well with a dry microfiber to remove excess. It's not something that you should wipe on and leave, as this will cause streaking or issues if it gets wet. Applied correctly however, it's great.

18. Likes MissV8der, DBAILEY liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast