autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

(OT) sort of, Plexiglass polishing?

All,

I have 6 panels in my backyard, 2'X6', they look weathered, I know they will polish up nice. Any thoughts on pad and polish combo?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: (OT) sort of, Plexiglass polishing?

My neighbor once asked me if I had anything that could polish up the instrument cluster plastic aka plexiglass that he had removed from his old Ford Bronco [I’m not sure what year but I’m guessing it’s like a 76’. Real big truck]

So I came over and brought along my HF DA with a 3” Orange Lake Country Flat Foam Cutting Pad and some McKee’s AIO Headlight Restoring Polish since afterall it is plastic.. I let him do it himself and he had never used a polisher in his life but the results turned out perfect! Got rid of all the fine swirls and left it crystal clear like brand new. I was almost jealous. Lol.

That McKee’s AIO Headlight Restoring Polish works great on plastic, and I wouldn’t hesitate to use it on that plexiglass you’re dealing with.

Post Thanks / Like

I would think it would be like anything else, start with the least aggressive. Optimim HyperPolish is supposed to be great for polishing plastic. I would think that with an orange pad, maybe slow down the speed a little should give great results.
    2015 F-150 Crew Cab Lariat
    2016 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DaveT435 View Post
    I would think it would be like anything else, start with the least aggressive.
    I doubt this general detailing advice would apply in this case, because 1. plexiglass scratches relatively easy (well, at least compared to polyurethane clear coat anyway), so most scratches will be relatively deep, and 2. plexiglass is not only around 100 microns thick (like car paint), but at least 100 times thicker - so, it doesn't matter much if you're abrading even dozens of microns, because there will be still plenty left.

I mean you can still start off with the least aggressive method first - but it wouldn't make much difference anyway.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by itsgn View Post
    I doubt this general detailing advice would apply in this case, because 1. plexiglass scratches relatively easy (well, at least compared to polyurethane clear coat anyway), so most scratches will be relatively deep, and 2. plexiglass is not only around 100 microns thick (like car paint), but at least 100 times thicker - so, it doesn't matter much if you're abrading even dozens of microns, because there will be still plenty left.

I mean you can still start off with the least aggressive method first - but it wouldn't make much difference anyway.
    I'm aware of what plexiglass is. I think the HyperPolish would be a good option to try. You seem to have the answers though, so by all means tell him how to fix it!
    2015 F-150 Crew Cab Lariat
    2016 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS

6. Likes Finick liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    My neighbor once asked me if I had anything that could polish up the instrument cluster plastic aka plexiglass that he had removed from his old Ford Bronco [I’m not sure what year but I’m guessing it’s like a 76’. Real big truck]

So I came over and brought along my HF DA with a 3” Orange Lake Country Flat Foam Cutting Pad and some McKee’s AIO Headlight Restoring Polish since afterall it is plastic.. I let him do it himself and he had never used a polisher in his life but the results turned out perfect! Got rid of all the fine swirls and left it crystal clear like brand new. I was almost jealous. Lol.

That McKee’s AIO Headlight Restoring Polish works great on plastic, and I wouldn’t hesitate to use it on that plexiglass you’re dealing with.
    Slightly off-topic but LOL-worthy, regarding McKee's AIO Headlight polish, my son's swim goggles were pretty scratched up and my wife was going to toss them so I asked her to give them to me to see if I could "restore" them. I first tried by hand with a microfiber towel and my index finger. I learned these goggles have a coating on them, pretty lousy coating in my opinion and the AIO took it right off. A little clearer but the scratches were persistent so I tried a drill with 3" polishing pad and it actually worked well....for the OUTSIDE lens surface.

The inside of these goggles is another matter. The problem is, too many saliva and defogger rubdowns with the finger (to cut back on fogging) so the inside surfaces were pretty scratched up, too. I looked around my shop I gravitated to my Dremels (I have 5 of them) and used a 1/4" round wool polishing pad. I cranked the Dremel down to the slowest speed, added some AIO to it and started polishing the inside. So far, so good.....I thought. Suddenly, the wool pad started slinging and the lens surface had a massive melted gouge in it. OOPS!!! I pulled out another wool pad and tried to clean it up. OOPS!!!

Tossed both goggles into the trash and immediately ordered new ones on Amazon...end of story. LOL!!!

8. Thanks JustJesus thanked for this post
    Likes Goonie75, DBAILEY, osiapstndp, JustJesus liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I actually did the plexiglass storm windows in front of the stained glass in front of our church. Wet sanded with 2000 and polished with 3M compound.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

I have used regular paint polishes and compounds on plexiglass windshields on motorcycles and boats many times. Not really all that different from trying to clean up a headlight that you don't want to do the whole wet sanding routine on.

Plexus or M37 Plex-All on a like 4" white pad is a good way to finish it off. That also works well on the soft rear windows on convertibles. You can't really remove much scratching because you can't put much pressure on the soft plastic window, but it does a good job removing the yellow tinge that those windows suffer from. You can also use it on the interior side of that window if you can reach it.

11. Thanks BadgerRivFan thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DBAILEY View Post
    I have used regular paint polishes and compounds on plexiglass windshields on motorcycles and boats many times. Not really all that different from trying to clean up a headlight that you don't want to do the whole wet sanding routine on.

Plexus or M37 Plex-All on a like 4" white pad is a good way to finish it off. That also works well on the soft rear windows on convertibles. You can't really remove much scratching because you can't put much pressure on the soft plastic window, but it does a good job removing the yellow tinge that those windows suffer from. You can also use it on the interior side of that window if you can reach it.
    Not to hijack the thread, but I have a golf cart with some minor swirls in the windscreen. I use M37 Plex-All to clean it with, but would have never thought about spraying some on a white polishing pad and trying to remove them that way... thanks for the tip! Will definitely give that a try.
    ​Al Schmidt
    "Adventure, is a car called Riviera..."

14. Likes DBAILEY liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast