autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question need advice on wax/spray waxes for weekly washes, new to all this

I initially posted this over at the ClubLexus forum (which is how I found this forum) but didn't get much help regarding spray waxes/detailer sprays used while drying, so I thought since this whole site is about car care, I might as well give it a shot here.
    As the title states, I'm new to this proper way of car washing. I first started to compile a list of things to buy so I could give my car a thorough wash/clay/wax… but then I started to read about polishing and I cut myself off. I know I could buy the things needed to do ALL these things myself and learn to do them properly, but I already have an expensive hobby (records) that takes up my spare $$$ and time. I've since decided that I'm gonna pay someone else to do a real good job once or maybe twice a year - and I’ll do the rest. I'm either gonna have a full paint correction + coating done relatively soon, or just pay for a good detail/polish/sealant sooner and get the correction/coating later, maybe in 6 months (seeing as it's upwards of $1k if you want it done by someone who actually knows what they're doing).
    So for my maintenance washes... Here's what I have so far:
    EXTERIOR:

• 2 grit guards + 2 5-gal HD buckets
    • Meguiar’s Gold Class Shampoo
    • Gilmour Cleaning Sprayer Foamaster II Multi-ratio Spray Gun
    • Chemical Guys wash mitt
    • Meguiar’s Supreme Shine Microfiber towels (2x 3-packs)
    • 1 Meg's Water Magnet Drying towel
    • 1 Rag company Eagle Edgeless 500 towels
    • 1 Rag Company Edgeless 300 towels

INTERIOR:

• Meguiar’s Quik Interior Detailer Cleaner
    • Aerospace Protectant 303 Matte
    • Stoner Invisible Glass aerosol

I was not going to get a foam gun initially but then an Amazon lightning deal happened and that was that. I also get a lot of bee pollen on my car and the occasional bird bomb so I think it’ll help loosen those up as a prewash. Here’s what else I've been considering & my associated questions:

• Collinite 845 Insulator Wax… I like the water beading capabilities and the fact that this can (from what I’ve read) easily be applied by hand. I know to thin it by placing the bottle in a bowl of hot water and shaking the crap out of it prior to use. Any recommendations on foam pads are welcome. Something about a wax like this seems like it'll be thicker and last longer than a spray wax like Optimum Car Wax... which leads me to...
    • Optimum Car Wax spray... I'm drawn to the serious ease of application with this one (just use while drying? Easy enough!), as well as the UVA/UVB protection. My car's parked outside 24/7 - at home in direct sun from sunrise to sunset (no shade at any point in time, which is quite remarkable for LA), and at work, also in direct sun, unless I park under the tree every bird in the neighborhood decided to call home (lose/lose) I'm thinking of using the Collinite maybe every two months, but the Optimum Wax at the end of every wash. Is that overkill? Is there such a thing as too much wax? Also - my water is not the best - without having to buy a mineral filter attachment for my hose, is mixing the hard water and spray wax problematic? Am I embedding the harsh minerals into the wax, allowing it to seep into my paint? I don't know how science works, this is just my brain's logic.
    • Optimum Powerclean... I have heard good things about Optimum Powerclean so I am considering that for stubborn bee pollen which is not easily removed without a fair amount of pressure - and if I've learned anything from these forums it's that pressure is the enemy. Would it be pointless to use the Optimum Powerclean prior & in conjunction with the foaming to help loosen up bee pollen? Bee pollen (aside from dust) is my new mortal enemy. Each day there's significantly more bee pollen than the last. My driveway is surrounded by rose bushes so there's no avoiding it.
    • ONR Wash & Shine... I’m not thrilled on the rinseless wash method due to the amount of dust and everything my car accumulates in just 5 days, let alone a week. I don't think I could get the things most hazardous to the paint removed this way, BUT - I could see its use in cleaning off just bird poop from a section when I don't have the time to wash it. But wouldn't I also be able to do this with Optimum Powerclean? I know its also a great clay bar lube, but I'm not sure how often I will be clay baring my car just yet. I'm sure I'll have to eventually, and I'll cross that bridge when it comes. Right now, my goal is just beneficial maintenance washes.

Sorry for the super long post. I’ve been lurking here and on other detailing sites, but I'm suffering from serious information overload. Between car washing and then trying to figure out what tires and brake pads to get - it’s a bit overwhelming. I appreciate everyone who posts here - I’m sure my car’s paint will appreciate it, too!!

Post Thanks / Like

need advice on wax/spray waxes for weekly washes, new to all this

You've got great list thereneed advice on wax/spray waxes for weekly washes, new to all this

i recommend Meguiars D110 Hyper Wash if you like Gold Class: Meguiars Hyper-Wash is a concetrated car wash for frequent or professional detailing. Super foaming, long lasting car shampoo from Meguiars.

As for microfibers for drying large: Griots Garage PFM Terry Weave Drying Towel

Small: Griots Garage PFM Terry Weave Towel, Set of 2

Great all purpose towel use by expert here: Gold Plush Jr. Microfiber Towels 12 Pack

You're good on Collinite 845 and Optimum Spray wax need advice on wax/spray waxes for weekly washes, new to all this
    There are many great stuff out there on https://www.autogeek.net just look around need advice on wax/spray waxes for weekly washes, new to all this

Collinite 845 every 2 month & Optimum spray wax after every wash is completely good regimen✌️
    Mixing spray wax and hard water (drying aid?) is not a problem at all unless you mean diluting with concentrate like ONR which i prefer distilled waterneed advice on wax/spray waxes for weekly washes, new to all this

ONR Wash & Shine or any rinseless/waterless wash is very economical for removing bird poop. Optimum power clean (OPC) is a good degreaser and is aggressive depends on your dilution (with distilled water).
    A very nice article worth reading: https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum...-phillips.html

I believe most geeks here also play performance and have great knowledge.Nothing to be shy asking, we've been that new guy too need advice on wax/spray waxes for weekly washes, new to all this

Peaceneed advice on wax/spray waxes for weekly washes, new to all this

3. Thanks 6od thanked for this post
    Likes AZpolisher15, 6od liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: need advice on wax/spray waxes for weekly washes, new to all this

Welcome to the forum. Nice to see another member from So Cal.

5. Likes AZpolisher15, 6od liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Waxing with 845 every 60 days? That's not a regimen I'd like to follow. I frankly don't have that kind of time. Move to a 4 to 6 months sealant either an SIO2 product or a polymer. Much easier -wipe on walk away no need to get that white haze out of the cracks, out of the badges etc. never again, too much work for me.

this is carpro Essence polish (by hand) and wipe on Reload-no buffing, 3 hours total work.

Carpro Essence with orbital and mckee's wipe on 10 min paint sealant:
    Glen -

7. Likes Hammer77, VitreousHumor, 6od liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You can probably skip collinite 845 all together and just use the optimum wax weekly to be honest. And try and clean off those bird bombs asap. What I do is I keep a quick detailer in the car with a MF towel just in case. I use ONR and a quick detailer just so you know.

9. Likes 6od liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You are off to a good start. Regarding 845, if you have it, use it. If not, consider 476s instead. It is almost the same but in paste form and easier (my opinion) to deal with. Apply it very thin. I apply it about every 6 months. I'm in NorCal and have sun most of the year. I also use OCW as a drying aid weekly. If you do this you never have to worry about UV or losing gloss. Your paint will look very nice throughout the year if you keep this up.

It sounds like you are OK with weekly washing. If so, then your approach is very good to go. With a weekly wash there is no reason to consider coatings. Coatings are meant for low-maintenance vehicles. Weekly drying with OCW is going to defeat the purpose of paying for the coating. Save your money and keep your paint protected with spray wax. (my opinion only, others will differ).

Consider a quick detailer. It helps with bird poop, gasoline drips and other things you want to clean up without water. You can make your own with waterless/rinseless wash concentrate and a spray bottle. There are many threads here on what to use and how to use it. I just bought some Wolfgang Rinseless concentrate and mixed up a gallon (3 oz to a gallon of water) and this is the best QD that I've used and I've probably used 5 others. You can leave a bottle of QD in your car with some microfiber towels and clean up things when you're away from home, too. In a pinch, it also cleans glass pretty well.

11. Thanks 6od thanked for this post
    Likes 6od, PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The Collinite may not need application every 2 months, even with SoCal sun. See how it looks and extend to 4 months as you wish. The OCW post-wash and Collinite every 4 months should be OK.

13. Thanks 6od thanked for this post
    Likes 6od liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Cleaner wax every 3 months
    OCW as drying aid every week

Clay bar only if you feel the paint is rough

Just a suggestion. Using cleaner wax every 3 months can save you the step of polishing the paint.

need advice on wax/spray waxes for weekly washes, new to all this

15. Likes 6od liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a perfect scenario for the rinseless ONR or ONRWW. I know it’s hard to wrap your head about rinseless washes on a dirty car but they really do work nicely

The WW version allegedly has a cumulative effect on adding UV protection and wax if used as your weekly wash.

This time of year I use ONR washes on my Accord every 4-5 days or sooner if it rains. I am around a lot of dust so it gets nasty quick

You could spray OCW as extra protection if you wanted. Or start with a bit more substantial product like the 845 or optiseal as your base. I’m becoming a fan of Meguiars UFF Personally but got not problem with optiseal either although it doesn’t flash quite as well for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. Thanks 6od thanked for this post
    Likes 6od liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Meguiar's D156 spray wax yet. It's as easy as any spray wax, and affordable. It also goes great over 845.

19. Likes Eldorado2k, 6od, Kazper liked this post
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast