autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: need advice on wax/spray waxes for weekly washes, new to all this

Quote Originally Posted by 6od View Post
    Now to experiment with rinseless washes. UGH.
    Come by with some small bottles and I can give you some ONR, ONRWW, Blackfire Rinseless, and one or two others I might have. I'm forgetting right now.

Quote Originally Posted by 6od View Post
    ALSO - for those who said to keep a small bottle of QD in the car, I would love to. Really. My concern is today, when it was only 77ºF outside... it was this in my car:
    Attachment 64050

I'm thinking maybe I should pick up PoorBoy's QD since from what I've read, that whole line was designed for heat and usage in the sun. Makes me think maybe it can withstand higher temperatures, but really I have no idea.
    I have that same thermometer thing. Comes in handy.

Also, I can give you some Poorboy's QD. And their Spray n Wipe

2. Likes PaulMys, SWETM, 6od liked this post
    Dislikes 6od disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Records was my expensive hobby... until I found AGO! Lol...

Dan Tran
    The Buffing Moose Detailing

4. Likes 6od liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Would use a MF towel soaked in 1:256 ONR and lay it on the bee pollen spots you can’t remove easily for a short time it will soften them up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Likes 6od liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MattPersman View Post
    Would use a MF towel soaked in 1:256 ONR and lay it on the bee pollen spots you can’t remove easily for a short time it will soften them up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'm not trying to sound snarky, but at that dilution, what is the ONR even doing? Is it necessary?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JustJesus View Post
    Come by with some small bottles and I can give you some ONR, ONRWW, Blackfire Rinseless, and one or two others I might have. I'm forgetting right now.
    I DIDN’T MEAN TO DISLIKE THIS! my thumb slipped!
    that's not my car, but it'd be a lot cooler if it was.

9. Thanks JustJesus thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JustJesus View Post
    Finally back to a computer... sorry again about that dislike - I hit like and it didn't work the first time, and when I pressed it again I hit dislike. Apparently you can't undo a dislike which is wild.
    I've got ONR and WG Uber I haven't even used yet. My experimenting will mostly be in practice and using proper technique (it almost looks TOO easy in the various videos I've watched from this site). Right now I only have one wash mitt (which I use as a pad because I am not a giant) and only four 500 GSM towels. I'm still deciding which others to get.

Also that hygrometer is GREAT! I mainly got it to keep track of a humidifier that I got for my records and to use when cleaning them. Does WONDERS for static. Those two things changed my life in the past year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Tran View Post
    Records was my expensive hobby... until I found AGO! Lol...
    Dan Tran
    The Buffing Moose Detailing
    Does that mean you "retired" from your record hobby - or that your auto hobby quickly outspent your vinyl hobby?

I don't think I could ever give it up. I've gotta sell some records at this point because I just have too many - and my collection just keeps growing and growing. But at least I can put that money towards a proper paint correction - I'd rather pay to have my paint corrected and sealed by someone who already knows what they're doing, rather than do it myself. I don't have the time nor the space (as you know, records take up A LOT of space).

I've already sought out some quotes from reputable detailers in LA. I figure $600 is better spent paying for it to be done right once than me buying the equipment+pads+etc, spending inordinate amounts of time learning how to do it (which for OCD me, will never be enough), and even then - probably not get it to the level I want. I'm pretty good with tools, and I enjoy working on furniture - but I'll leave my car paint to the pros.

Plus, I've already spent upwards of $400 so far just for wash and regular maintenance supplies, and the next things I buy really need to be tires, brake pads & window tints. And of course, more microfiber.

Quote Originally Posted by MattPersman View Post
    That's a great idea, thank you! How long constitutes a "short time"? 30 seconds? 2 minutes? Hopefully less than a minute as I get a lot on the vertical panels as well.
    that's not my car, but it'd be a lot cooler if it was.

Post Thanks / Like

I might be a little late to the party here, but you seem to be pretty anal like me and as a relative novice myself I want to add my .02. Because this can get overwhelming FAST!

Remember a lot of what you read on this site is from pros. Guys who do this for a living, on the side or have been really into it for years. And remember all cars and climates react differently. When I first got serious I was also a little overwhelmed. So many products, so many steps, soooo many opinions haha.

What I can offer is this. For basic car care, you need a good 2 bucket system, some good wash, a good mit or 2 and some wheel brushes/mits, several small and large drying towels. Most of these things they sell at the autostore and most of the basic mothers/meguiars stuff is more than capable. Just make sure you're buying mf. Add some hot wheels all wheel cleaner or similar and a tire black if you desire and you're off.

From there it gets complicated but doesn't have to be. You need to have a clay bar or mit in your arsenal and a quick detailer to accompany the bar and also for touch up jobs.
    I would start with an all in one product before you spend a lot of time and money on polishes and sealants. several good products out there, but honestly i don't think you're going to go wrong with any one of them that is favorably reviewed on the website's store.

You can hand apply these, but if you really think you're going to get into this I'd recommend the porter cable combo you can buy off this site. Pick up some orange white, black and green pads with the combo deal. You can probably even skip orange and black to start. Get some whites and greens designed for aio.

Then after researching some good techniques, researching if you need to tape or not etc grab a 6 pack and enjoy the therapy of a good detail. From there you will know what else you need to do. You may step back and be blown away and happy. You may notice your water beading doesn't last as long as you would have liked. You may have some swirls and scratches that didn't come out. From here is where I'd recommend looking into different polishes and some of the more "next level" stuff like iron removers, wheel waxes, trim restore etc.

I'm fairly confident someone will pick this post apart and probably should, but I wrote this purely from a "just getting started" point of view, where a good wash, clay and AIO will really do wonders for most cars.
    2009 Pontiac G8GT
    2015 Ford Explorer Limited
    2019 Chevy Silverado RST Z71

12. Thanks PaulMys thanked for this post
    Likes 1500canoe, PaulMys, 6od, AKT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Belo View Post
    I might be a little late to the party here, but you seem to be pretty anal like me and as a relative novice myself I want to add my .02. Because this can get overwhelming FAST!

Remember a lot of what you read on this site is from pros. Guys who do this for a living, on the side or have been really into it for years. And remember all cars and climates react differently. When I first got serious I was also a little overwhelmed. So many products, so many steps, soooo many opinions haha.

What I can offer is this. For basic car care, you need a good 2 bucket system, some good wash, a good mit or 2 and some wheel brushes/mits, several small and large drying towels. Most of these things they sell at the autostore and most of the basic mothers/meguiars stuff is more than capable. Just make sure you're buying mf. Add some hot wheels all wheel cleaner or similar and a tire black if you desire and you're off.

From there it gets complicated but doesn't have to be. You need to have a clay bar or mit in your arsenal and a quick detailer to accompany the bar and also for touch up jobs.
    I would start with an all in one product before you spend a lot of time and money on polishes and sealants. several good products out there, but honestly i don't think you're going to go wrong with any one of them that is favorably reviewed on the website's store.

You can hand apply these, but if you really think you're going to get into this I'd recommend the porter cable combo you can buy off this site. Pick up some orange white, black and green pads with the combo deal. You can probably even skip orange and black to start. Get some whites and greens designed for aio.

Then after researching some good techniques, researching if you need to tape or not etc grab a 6 pack and enjoy the therapy of a good detail. From there you will know what else you need to do. You may step back and be blown away and happy. You may notice your water beading doesn't last as long as you would have liked. You may have some swirls and scratches that didn't come out. From here is where I'd recommend looking into different polishes and some of the more "next level" stuff like iron removers, wheel waxes, trim restore etc.

I'm fairly confident someone will pick this post apart and probably should, but I wrote this purely from a "just getting started" point of view, where a good wash, clay and AIO will really do wonders for most cars.
    If anyone picks this apart, they are not acting in the spirit of the forum.

I think this is an excellent post on how to begin, and how to approach the process.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

14. Thanks Belo thanked for this post
    Likes 1500canoe, 6od, AKT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My go-to stuff:
    - ONRWW for weekly washes
    - Optimum spray wax monthly
    - blackfire one step quarterly

Sometimes, i use collinite 845 if i feel like it.

I do not use any tire gel. I just scrub and wipe the tires with a MF rag wet with the ONRWW rinseless solution.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234