autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Can I vacuum sand more effectively?

Ok so here’s the situation. My Eclipse has black interior carpets, currently full of sand from previous owner. I vacuumed them once in the time I’ve had it over the past month. I sat on just the driver foot well for around an hour and still didn’t scratch the surface of sand deposits. I know there’s the method of using a sander to agitate the sand upwards but is there any way to expedite the process? It’s ok if there’s not I just want to know before I dive in today! Oh and btw the vacuum I’m currently using is the Ridgid WD4070.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Can I vacuum sand more effectively?

A stiff brush in one hand and the vacuum in the other hand. Aggitate and follow as close as possible with the vacuum.

3. Likes Paul A. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If you feel super ambitious you could pull the driver’s side carpet if it is segmented. Once out of the vehicle you can pressure rinse with a low pressure, wide fan tipped, pressure washer. Be careful not to get to close to the carpet as a pressure washer can add (permanent) lines to the carpet if you get too close with too much pressure.

Post Thanks / Like

That is where having a vacuum with a high lift rating is so important. I also think it's important for a vacuum to also do wet and not only dry (which to me is frankly useless). Hence why I still strongly suggest this one:

PF51 Wet Dry Vac Review

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by richy View Post
    That is where having a vacuum with a high lift rating is so important. I also think it's important for a vacuum to also do wet and not only dry (which to me is frankly useless). Hence why I still strongly suggest this one:

PF51 Wet Dry Vac Review
    If you were dealing with heavy built in sand/dirt in a vehicles carpet [not the matts] and removing the carpet was not an option, what would be your process in conjunction with your wet vac?

Post Thanks / Like

It comes with a stiff-bristled brush attachment. I would use it aggressively. I sometimes just use the hose end on its own. The handle of the hose has a pistol grip that you can work hard too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    If you were dealing with heavy built in sand/dirt in a vehicles carpet [not the matts] and removing the carpet was not an option, what would be your process in conjunction with your wet vac?
    Sent from my E6853 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I haven’t found a way to make vacuuming built in sand super fast and easy... But IME these 2 attachments work better than the rest.

The Ridgid triangle stiff brush attachment.

This little gulper.

The best thing about this gulper is that it has built in stiff bristles that aren’t removable. [so you don’t have to worry about them slipping off like on other attachments]

I recently bought this turbo brush attachment, but based on my initial testing it seems to be pretty much useless at picking up built in sand from carpets.Can I vacuum sand more effectively?

A plain old crevice tool [prefferably a short 1] also works great and deserves mention.

Quote Originally Posted by richy View Post
    The handle of the hose has a pistol grip that you can work hard too.

Sent from my E6853 using Tapatalk
    Is the handle you’re talking about sort of similar to this? I’ve always thought about buying 1 of these but wasn’t sure if it would be that useful.

9. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Some good tips so far. I also employ the stiff brush and close follow with vac technique. Sometimes many many passes. I also beat mats with a small bat first.

11. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Eldorado nice to see you tested one of those turbo nozzle attachement out. When it comes fine sand that penetrates the carpets deep I too don't think they are so effective. More effective to that dirt that lays on top of the carpets or just in it. When doing the fine sand that penetrates the carpets I want power from the vacuum. And those attachement you show I can see is effective to keep the power up and loosen the sand from the carpet. So OP if you have an attachement like those test them out or something like that with stiff bristles brush on it. And still have in mind to have a longer stiff bristles brush to get the deeper layering fine sand to come up to the surface of the carpet. It will be many passes on a smaller spot to get it out. And maybe when you think it's enough. After some time it comes up fine sand again. It's what to expect with the finer particals that goes so deep as to the bottom of the carpet.

13. Likes Eldorado2k liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

i go to the dollar store and buy toilet brushes, cut the handles off and slide it into my cordless drill, then follow the spinning brush head with the vaccum, works great for pet hair as well.

15. Likes Eldorado2k, SWETM liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast