autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: URGENT need help! Correcting 2011 Mustang.

Try M205 and your black pad on a section thats already been worked with 105/orange.

Post Thanks / Like

Paul A is correct, 205 on the black bad. I'm assuming the hood was repainted due to the TSB where the aluminum hood bonded to the steel hood frame due to improper priming done by Ford and corrosion/chemical reaction between the improper primed parts started? The TSB called for repainting or replacing the hoods on 2005 - 2014 Mustangs due to the defect. I'm holding my breath that my 2005 doesn't develop this issue...

Regardless, I have worked on several Mustangs with this issue, including Black ones. The fact is you're using the same color pad (orange) to cut and polish? That may be your problem. Second problem is the respray may be a bit on the soft side. You need to water down your 205.

Cut with the 105, using a somewhat aggressive pad. If it was a respray, odds are they laid down a heavy base and clear coat. Then refine with the 205. The paint is probably super soft, so try the black pad, put a few drops of 205 on it, then rinse it off in water (distilled preferably). Make sure you ring out the pad so it's not dripping and can cause sling. Using a spray bottle filled with distilled water spray the hood, and start doing your section passes with black pad. (Same pad you rinsed and rung...) Do not apply more 205. Since 205 is SMAT, it will continue working in a watered down state.

Make sure you use the softest, highest, cleanest quality towels to wipe with. You may pre-treat them with some ONR or Rinsless Wash to soften the towel before you wipe.

I suspect you are dealing with super soft paint, and are marring it as you're polishing it. After you get it cleaned up as much as you can, go get a full frontal of Clear Bra. This will hide the blems and protect this super-soft paint.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LSNAutoDetailing View Post
    Paul A is correct, 205 on the black bad. I'm assuming the hood was repainted due to the TSB where the aluminum hood bonded to the steel hood frame due to improper priming done by Ford? The TSB called for repainting or replacing the hoods on 2005 - 2014 Mustangs due to the defect.
    Yes that was the reason for the hood repaint.
    When did they come out with that TSB?
    Last when i was getting something done at the dealer like 1-1,5 years ago they had no recall/TSB to repaint hoods and pretty much to me unless there is a hole in the hood Ford unfortunately would not cover it under corrosion warranty.

Basically i had to repaint the hood on my own dime.

Should i call and ask the body shop if they painted it as a single stage or as base color plus clear separately?

Yes i was using 1 new orange pad for 105 and 1 new pad for 205.

BTW i was NOT able to replicate the paint on the pad again in the same spot.
    So i hope I didn’t burn anything, otherwise if i did my pad would be black every time i go over that spot right?

Ok i will take your pointers and will go to town again next weekend!
    Thank you!

If you have more suggestions on how to be more efficient and get results i’m all ears!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Like LSN mentioned, your paint is probably very soft. Use a black finishing pad with the 205 and water it down as LSN mentioned. If that still doesnt work try out a bottle of menzerna 3500 or 3800 with a black pad. I recently had an issue with very soft paint on my black car and found that the menzerna 3500 had enough cut to remove moderate swirls and finish down very nicely. Good luck !

And yes, if you burnt through the paint then it would turn black after every pass in the suspected area. maybe there was some form of contamination that you missed?

-James

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for replies guys!

I will try that water-down method..
    Also, about the pad: I am using Lake Country light orange pad that i ordered from amazon (3 pack).
    Are they enough of a pad for the job or should i get something more aggressive such as a yellow pad?

@LSNAutoDetailing: What's an ONR? I have CG V07 quick detailer, would that work?
    So basically put 2-3 drops on the pads, work them into the pad, run through distilled water.

By ring out do you mean like squeeze it few times or blow compressed air on it?

BTW: After each pass to clean out pads i use air compressor and spun the pad on the machine by air.
    And black marring washed off pretty easily from the pad by way of warm water and soap.

@james751993: Yes hopefully it was just dirt from the paint or something and not actually burned paint... I know i tried to replicated it in the same area and could not.. Also visually by eye I do not see any blemishes.. I assume i would be able to notice burned clear/paint?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Guys ok i’m back to polishing..

Well i think i burned through clear on one of the “ribs” have not idea how it happened. I was trying to remove a small scratch on it and was moving the polisher horizontal and than vertical.. small section probably around 8x8....
    here is a picture. If you guys can see it.

Also! Can someone PLEASE tell why does it look like the pad is not rotating in circles when polishing vertical panel such as a door?
    Thanks!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Another shot.

Is that a burn through clearcoat?

Post Thanks / Like

from the picture it looks like burn through clearcoat.
    Professional Car Detailing in Toronto. www.rsautospa.ca - Ceramic Coating - Paint Protection Film featuring best clear bra brands from: SunTek Ultra, STEK.

9. Thanks RusWolf thanked for this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RSAUTOSPA View Post
    from the picture it looks like burn through clearcoat.
    Thank you!
    Well since I messed up, blame is on me.
    Other than painting the whole panel.
    Is there a way to fix it?
    If not.. is there anything i can do to make it A) less obvious B) Protect what is exposed now?
    Thank you.

Also.. why is the polisher doesn’t look like its spinning when polishing the door or any other vertical panel?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RusWolf View Post
    Thank you!
    Well since I messed up, blame is on me.
    Other than painting the whole panel.
    Is there a way to fix it?
    If not.. is there anything i can do to make it A) less obvious B) Protect what is exposed now?
    Thank you.

Also.. why is the polisher doesn’t look like its spinning when polishing the door or any other vertical panel?

You can put a coating on it. That would hold it temporarily. Since no moisture or anything got under the edges of the clear coat depending on the coating you might get a year before those edges start lifting. Where are your located? If you were in the DFW area I could help you out, both with the coating and/or painting.
    2015 F-150 Crew Cab Lariat
    2016 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS

12. Thanks RusWolf thanked for this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast